Looking for some thoughts on vehicle selection.....

Hello everyone. I knew this would be my first stop in my search. First the set up. Always been very frugal with the vast majority of my purchases and I have done well for myself. Just pasted a milestone in my career and am looking for a vehicle that maybe I always wanted but would normally not buy. I'm in my mid 50's but not wanting to be the "new Vette guy", not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like to fly under the radar with my vehicles and also the car needs to be a commuter. But I am looking at getting something that would be a "little special" at least to me. The specs.
35K ish
Sedan or Coupe
Something with a little action under the hood, but not noticeable. That make sense? (sleeper type motor)
2017 and up if possible. The lower the miles, the better. Reliability of the vehicle would take precedence over style.
I can work on "challenging" vehicles most of the time, so that doesn't scare me away, but would prefer not to!
I'm open to anything except Subaru. My wife has a 22' Outback and I detest that vehicle.
I've started looking around and the Inifiniti Q60 Sport 400, Audi A4, MB C300, Toyota Avalon, VW Arteon, Acura TLX, etc seem to be popping up.
Those "types" of cars are fitting the bill of what I would be interested in.
I always get great opinions when I come to this board and appreciate all suggestions. Thank you gentlemen! Have a happy and safe 4th of July!

I was in the exact same situation with a nearly identical checklist and ended up with a new Mustang EcoBoost. It’s been great fun and falls right in your price point.

The 2.3 EcoBoost is very tame when commuting for example but comes to life with a bit of skinny pedal.

Other than that my suggestions would also be German, solid well built and deceptively fast for the most part.

I was in the exact same situation with a nearly identical checklist and ended up with a new Mustang EcoBoost. It’s been great fun and falls right in your price point.

The 2.3 EcoBoost is very tame when commuting for example but comes to life with a bit of skinny pedal.

Other than that my suggestions would also be German, solid well built and deceptively fast for the most part.
Ah, another added to the list. Didn't even think about the 2.3. Thanks!

Are you sticking with regular gasoline or planning to pay insanely for premium? Are you checking insurance rates on various suspects? If "anything goes" I'd look at Lexus first and Acura before any others. But I'm a decade ahead and prioritize comfort. If I were going for a good dose of "sport" a 2024 Mustang Ecoboost would top the one item list with membership in the national and local Mustang clubs to get in on various events/drives/etc they hold, a pretty significant appeal to me.

Hello everyone. I knew this would be my first stop in my search. First the set up. Always been very frugal with the vast majority of my purchases and I have done well for myself. Just pasted a milestone in my career and am looking for a vehicle that maybe I always wanted but would normally not buy. I'm in my mid 50's but not wanting to be the "new Vette guy", not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like to fly under the radar with my vehicles and also the car needs to be a commuter. But I am looking at getting something that would be a "little special" at least to me. The specs.
35K ish
Sedan or Coupe
Something with a little action under the hood, but not noticeable. That make sense? (sleeper type motor)
2017 and up if possible. The lower the miles, the better. Reliability of the vehicle would take precedence over style.
I can work on "challenging" vehicles most of the time, so that doesn't scare me away, but would prefer not to!
I'm open to anything except Subaru. My wife has a 22' Outback and I detest that vehicle.
I've started looking around and the Inifiniti Q60 Sport 400, Audi A4, MB C300, Toyota Avalon, VW Arteon, Acura TLX, etc seem to be popping up.
Those "types" of cars are fitting the bill of what I would be interested in.
I always get great opinions when I come to this board and appreciate all suggestions. Thank you gentlemen! Have a happy and safe 4th of July!

2021 Passsat R Line?

Lexus GS350 F Sport
gs350.jpg

+1 on check insurance before signing. Can be a factor (~2016 my 1st choice was cheaper, but ins. $100 more/mo 😳. Agent said it was purely statistics and potential costs to repair)

#2 consider lease? Cost per mile may be high. But there are no resale risks and don’t have to worry about most repairs or Mait.

Bmw? They're fun and smooth and quiet but if you like having money you better fix it yourself, many people who work on BMWs charge a lot

Hello everyone. I knew this would be my first stop in my search. First the set up. Always been very frugal with the vast majority of my purchases and I have done well for myself. Just pasted a milestone in my career and am looking for a vehicle that maybe I always wanted but would normally not buy. I'm in my mid 50's but not wanting to be the "new Vette guy", ...
I'd go for a classic. Pony car or intermediate with a 4 speed and a small V8. Low insurance costs, stable or appreciating value. Easy and fun to work on. Engaging drivetime.
Buy local and get the car checked out on a lift by a professional mechanic/ builder.

I was slow on the trigger for a no-rust, left coast '68 Mustang with a fresh and hot crate 302 and a wc T5 glass box. Not a Ford guy, but I'm kicking myself on this one. Low 20's. Classy.

similar to what was sale near me -

1968_ford_mustang.jpeg

I only see chipped diesel trucks going fast 0-60 light to light. Nobody else.

just fast acceleration Gets old fast. Need many inputs to make the driving experience.

But I would not refuse a clean V-Caddy with a 6M trans if in that market. Maybe I should drive one first before commenting - and committing! LOL

Are you sticking with regular gasoline or planning to pay insanely for premium? Are you checking insurance rates on various suspects? If "anything goes" I'd look at Lexus first and Acura before any others. But I'm a decade ahead and prioritize comfort. If I were going for a good dose of "sport" a 2024 Mustang Ecoboost would top the one item list with membership in the national and local Mustang clubs to get in on various events/drives/etc they hold, a pretty significant appeal to me.
I have an 06" ACura TSX that uses Premium. 300K+ miles on the old girl. Now, I'd prefer regular, but I'm used to Premium. Insurance is always a factor, but at my age, driving record, credit score, blah, blah, it doesn't roll too much either way. My new BMW K1600 Grand America bike runs me 230 a year with virtually maxed out coverage. The kids hate that I have a bike and three vehicles and it costs me less then they pay for one car. The only virtue of growing old I guess!!

Back