Looking at 2017/18/19 Civic for daughter

Hello everyone. My 23 yoa daughter was in a recent accident with her 2016 Honda Civic LX. Naturally, the at fault party is a POS uninsured ahole. With that being said, we just reviewed and adjusted her insurance a few months ago to State Farm. They totaled the vehicle and have offered a very favorable payout. I am helping her look for another Civic. I can find Certified 17/18/19's LX's with mileage under 20K, a few under 10K, for 15K. Is there any difference between these model years that I should consider? I do all the maintenance on her vehicle, so if there is something strange about any of these model years, I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks everyone and as always, appreciate the input. Have a great weekend.

If she lives or works on the east side of Columbus, she should drive a larger vehicle as she'll probably be involved in another accident eventually.

We do live on the eastside! She works for OSU. I seems like it's a requirement to drive without insurance, to live within Columbus. The 16" Civic she was in did very well in the essentially head on accident. There ought to be special prisons for people who drive without insurance!!

I have a 2016 Civic with the 1.5t. It has the fuel dilution issues and intermittent no start where it doesn't see the key fob is in the car. Overall its been a good car but I still can't get used to the cvt transmission. If all cars are home I pick the audi or jetta to drive because of the cvt and horrendous road noise.

First , I`m glad your daughter was not hurt badly . I am not a Civic owner I have a 2014 Corolla. I am no mechanic although I do minor work but if I were to buy a Civic I would not buy a 1.5T .

First , I`m glad your daughter was not hurt badly . I am not a Civic owner I have a 2014 Corolla. I am no mechanic although I do minor work but if I were to buy a Civic I would not buy a 1.5T .
Thank you! She's a trooper. Broken hand from the air bag is all that happened.

Glad she okay! Love the Zoo down there as well. :) I feel the base is the best choice myself. Besides little tech updates, no big difference in those model years. Honda is not really putting update money into cars right now, which can sometimes be a good thing (like parts) Only complaint would be the cut, but other than that, good solid cars.....

Glad she's OK. I believe any of those Civics will serve her well.
By the way Jeff, are you my fellow TSX owner who's TSX just won't stop? LOL! My 06' has 251K on it and outside just replacing the catalytic convertor recently, runs like it's new.

By the way Jeff, are you my fellow TSX owner who's TSX just won't stop? LOL! My 06' has 251K on it and outside just replacing the catalytic convertor recently, runs like it's new.
Guilty as charged...
We bought a left over '06 in Dec 2006. Just turned 200K. I did check the oil yesterday as it is almost time for a service. Still nice amber colored and right up to the fill mark. Close to 5,000 miles.
I service 3 of these cars, our '06 and 2 friend's 2007 models with 95K and 140K. Owners love 'em. Honda got this car right.
PXL_20201117_221253389.jpg

You might as well get a (new) 2020 or 21. Hondas don't really depreciate much, and with the pandemic used car market, you might actually be better off buying new. Plus, interest rates are cheaper for new cars than for used.

Guilty as charged...
We bought a left over '06 in Dec 2006. Just turned 200K. I did check the oil yesterday as it is almost time for a service. Still nice amber colored and right up to the fill mark. Close to 5,000 miles.
I service 3 of these cars, our '06 and 2 friend's 2007 models with 95K and 140K. Owners love 'em. Honda got this car right.View attachment 37366
I knew it was you. Mine doesn't burn a drop of oil. I keep wanting to get my wife a new car and she won't let the TSX go. That 2.4L might possibly one of the best motors Honda ever made.

You might as well get a (new) 2020 or 21. Hondas don't really depreciate much, and with the pandemic used car market, you might actually be better off buying new. Plus, interest rates are cheaper for new cars than for used.
This just might be the best option, especially as we are at year end.
Play those dealers off each other!
Good luck.

Yea, People who short trip the 1.5L turbo in cold weather often have problems with fuel in the oil. And the reprogram on them to fix that gives priority to heating the engine and then they complain about still getting gas in the oil and the cabin not heating up fast enough in the winter.

So you want to avoid the 1.5L turbo, and look for one with a clean Car-Fax that shows a history of regular oil and filter changes. The CVT should have the fluid changed every 30 K miles at a minimum. Some change it sooner like 25 K or even 20 K and some do multiple drains and fills with driving it some between each to get the fluid that remained in it mixed with the new. One drain and fill replaces almost exactly 1/2 the old fluid with new. And a lot remains in the torque converter so you have to drive it for a while to mix it if you are doing multiple. Some do 3 drains and fills. Bernardi Parts sells genuine Honda fluids and parts at prices less than dealers.

Fortunately people lease them and turn them back in in 3 or 4 years, and many who lease use the dealer for oil changes, so you can find them with Car-Fax reports showing regular oil changes.

There are people who never change the oil, and you do not want to buy one of there vehicles.

Last edited:
My dad leased a 2017 Civic LX and liked it so much he just bought it at the end of the term. It's an impressive car. The ride and handling is much better than you'd expect for a ~20k car, the engine will be bulletproof, and the CVT actually isn't bad at all. I'd highly recommend it.

I wouldn’t shy too far from the 1.5 if the rest of the car around it is good. We have one and it’s been a delight to live with. We change the oil a little early and go up a grade in thickness. It’s been a great car for my son. his is an 18 with the manual. It’s a stellar car.

go newer if you can(19) as the fuel dilution issue was real in 17-18...and some say 19',but I have a crv 2019 and no issues. I did with my 2017 civic however. now lets be real here all you have to do is be watchful on the dipstick and change often...
all of this is null and void if you go with the LX trim which has the 2.0l

Back