Another New Vehicle Thread

The fleet in the household is getting up in years. Our newest vehicle is 8 years old with over 100K.
I'm looking at replacing the 2006 in the fleet with a new vehicle. Nothing wrong with it, no rust, not beaten up, it is ready to roll over 80K. However, it is 14 years old.
Since it is what Mrs. Tdbo drives, I'm looking at a replacement.
Purchasing a new vehicle is always an ordeal, because agreeing on anything within what I feel is my budget (I'm frugal) is a painful process.
We are looking at SUV's/CUV's and have come up with three options, with one wild card. In no particular order:

1. Toyota Highlander: Probably my first choice (she likes it too); however, Toyota dealers in my area seem to think they are selling Lambo's. Everytime I have attempted to buy one, their arrogance and unwillingness to deal has resulted in me buying a Honda. If anyone in Ohio knows of a decent Toyota dealer, PM me.

2. Honda Pilot: This is a strong possibility. I like the deals that I see. My biggest hangup is that the V6 still has a timing belt (at least the last I knew it did.) The second issue is that the model we are interested in (EXL, FWD) is a unicorn in our area. The closest supply I can find is around Indianapolis, with exactly what we want in NC. Not sure I want the hassle of going that far, particularly given the current drama. However for the price difference between that and #1, I could easily justify a $1100. Timing belt change, if we have it that long.

3. Ford Edge: She likes it. Also a possibility, particularly if the numbers are right. My biggest hangups are the Ecoboost (can't get a V6 any more) and resale. However, I can overcome the resale conundrum with the discounts I've seen and 0%.

The Wildcard:

4. Lexus RX 350: I'm interested if I could find a leftover new or lightly used '19 at a good price. The one that I found was gone before I could get to it. She is open to it, but is not her first choice.

We will probably keep whatever we have long term, barring unforeseen circumstances (accidents, lemons, etc.)
Money is not a huge issue. I will probably have at least a 55-60% downstroke, and finance the difference. I will more than likely sell the 2006 privately. Just looking for the best bang for the buck, with the best potential for being a dependable long term vehicle.
Open for input. Thanks in advance.

Regardless of which vehicle you are seriously looking at, when I wanted a new vehicle last year I limited my serious thinking about traveling to see and test drive, ONLY to vehicle I could find a car-fax report that showed the oil and oil-filter had been changed on a regular interval and never ran too long without getting the oil changed.

(Therefore I looked on Autotrader and ONLY at the vehicles with a car-fax, and on the car-fax used vehicle site.) And of course then I looked at those car-fax reports to eliminate the ones that did not show the proper oil changes.

Sure there are vehicles that the owner did the oil and filter when it should be done, and or had it done somewhere that did not record it on car-fax. And I did not get to see some vehicles that were perfectly OK because I eliminated those. But there are many leased vehicles and other vehicles that use the dealer and show the car-fax oil changes.

The reason I did this is because many times over the years I have seen engines that were damaged because the oil and filter was not changed when it should have been. And if I am going to spend the kind of money a good used car cost I am not going to buy an abused engine and all the problems that go along with it.

Quite frankly I consider any used vehicle that passes the required oil and filter change history requirement worth several thousands more than anything without it. It is why I do not mind paying the premium dealers charge for a used vehicle, if it meets that requirement.

And also a dealer certified vehicle is worth more because there are real things that the dealers find and fix before a vehicle gets that certification. The certified 2016 Honda CR-V I bought last February had new brakes pads on all 4 and the brake fluid flushed, and 4 new tires, before it meet the certified requirements. And as the sales man pointed out the tires they put on were rated to handle the maximum speed the vehicle can go. Also what I found out later by looking those BGGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport with the three peak mountain snow-flake symbol rating is that those tires are probably the best all-season tire available, and tire rack rated there winter performance an 8.9 where the dedicated BridgeStone Blizzak rated a 9.3 So it is very close in winter performance to a very good dedicated winter tire, and also the Sport rating means the warm weather performance is also very good.

Good luck in your searching.

Also, when I first started looking I found one that was far away with a low price. The car-fax did not show an accident, but I posted the VIN number here on BITOG and someone was kind enough to run it on other car report sites and showed that it had been in a major accident and had frame damage.

So you might consider posting the VIN on anything you find, and ask people here to see if they can find any info on it. BITOG is a great help in researching a vehicle. Just show the specifics and people will help if they can.

Kia Sorrento? The newer ones are doing pretty well for reliability and they are equipped well and look pretty nice. I was considering a new one in 2018 as one with a v6 wasn't all that much more than the Outback. A used 2018 now should be quite a bit cheaper than a pilot or highlander.

The fleet in the household is getting up in years. Our newest vehicle is 8 years old with over 100K.
I'm looking at replacing the 2006 in the fleet with a new vehicle. Nothing wrong with it, no rust, not beaten up, it is ready to roll over 80K. However, it is 14 years old.
Since it is what Mrs. Tdbo drives, I'm looking at a replacement.
Purchasing a new vehicle is always an ordeal, because agreeing on anything within what I feel is my budget (I'm frugal) is a painful process.
We are looking at SUV's/CUV's and have come up with three options, with one wild card. In no particular order:

1. Toyota Highlander: Probably my first choice (she likes it too); however, Toyota dealers in my area seem to think they are selling Lambo's. Everytime I have attempted to buy one, their arrogance and unwillingness to deal has resulted in me buying a Honda. If anyone in Ohio knows of a decent Toyota dealer, PM me.

2. Honda Pilot: This is a strong possibility. I like the deals that I see. My biggest hangup is that the V6 still has a timing belt (at least the last I knew it did.) The second issue is that the model we are interested in (EXL, FWD) is a unicorn in our area. The closest supply I can find is around Indianapolis, with exactly what we want in NC. Not sure I want the hassle of going that far, particularly given the current drama. However for the price difference between that and #1, I could easily justify a $1100. Timing belt change, if we have it that long.

3. Ford Edge: She likes it. Also a possibility, particularly if the numbers are right. My biggest hangups are the Ecoboost (can't get a V6 any more) and resale. However, I can overcome the resale conundrum with the discounts I've seen and 0%.

The Wildcard:

4. Lexus RX 350: I'm interested if I could find a leftover new or lightly used '19 at a good price. The one that I found was gone before I could get to it. She is open to it, but is not her first choice.

We will probably keep whatever we have long term, barring unforeseen circumstances (accidents, lemons, etc.)
Money is not a huge issue. I will probably have at least a 55-60% downstroke, and finance the difference. I will more than likely sell the 2006 privately. Just looking for the best bang for the buck, with the best potential for being a dependable long term vehicle.
Open for input. Thanks in advance.

If you want a V6 Ford Edge, you can still get one new. You need to get the ST trim and you will get the 2.7L V6 Turbo engine. Ford has a perpetual problem with oil pan leaks on the 2.7L, but otherwise should be a good engine.

The Ford Edge not having the old 3.5 or 3.7 V6 is a blessing. Those V6's that used to be used in the Edge are a nightmare, especially with the internal, timing chain driven water pump.

My friend has a Ford Fusion with the 2.0L Ecoboost 4-cyl. 60,000 miles now with no problems at all.

Of the vehicles listed, go for the Lexus. $10K off MSRP should be easy. They are offering 0% financing and other discounts I believe.
Once you have owned Lexus quality, there is no going back. The RX is their #1 seller, by far.
There are always lease returns as well; you can do a little better on a "gently used" RX.
Lexus lease offerings are one of the best of any make so they lease a ton of 'em.
If your budget allows, look at the 450h; the mileage and resale are strong.
Definitely buy the AWD.

Perhaps go test drive the futuristic Model Y ?
Good luck.

The new redesigned 2021 Kia Sorrento would be worth a look IMHO. It will be available soon and it's slightly bigger than the previous model.

If you want a V6 Ford Edge, you can still get one new. You need to get the ST trim and you will get the 2.7L V6 Turbo engine. Ford has a perpetual problem with oil pan leaks on the 2.7L, but otherwise should be a good engine.

The Ford Edge not having the old 3.5 or 3.7 V6 is a blessing. Those V6's that used to be used in the Edge are a nightmare, especially with the internal, timing chain driven water pump.

My friend has a Ford Fusion with the 2.0L Ecoboost 4-cyl. 60,000 miles now with no problems at all.

Good point about the internal water pump.
I had heard about that issue regarding the Taurus, but didn't make the connection to the Edge. Duh.
I'm having the issue with the turbo part of the equation.
I'm kind of a luddite. I 'm not crazy about turbo engines and really hate CVT's.
I have heard good things overall about the Ecoboost though, so that is why it made the short list.

Of the vehicles listed, go for the Lexus. $10K off MSRP should be easy. They are offering 0% financing and other discounts I believe.
Once you have owned Lexus quality, there is no going back. The RX is their #1 seller, by far.
There are always lease returns as well; you can do a little better on a "gently used" RX.
Lexus lease offerings are one of the best of any make so they lease a ton of 'em.
If your budget allows, look at the 450h; the mileage and resale are strong.
Definitely buy the AWD.

Perhaps go test drive the futuristic Model Y ?
Good luck.

I'm more interested in the Lexus than the Mrs.
I could get into a '19 for close to the budget.
I missed out on a '19 loaded with 7K on it for 37K.
I couldn't have gotten the 0% on it though.
If we do it, it will probably be one of the top 3 on the list.
We generally don't agree on auto purchases, usually one of us throw up our hands up and give in.
The only car we ever fully agreed on was the Mustang.

I'm more interested in the Lexus than the Mrs.
I could get into a '19 for close to the budget.
I missed out on a '19 loaded with 7K on it for 37K.
I couldn't have gotten the 0% on it though.
If we do it, it will probably be one of the top 3 on the list.
We generally don't agree on auto purchases, usually one of us throw up our hands up and give in.
The only car we ever fully agreed on was the Mustang.
Low $40's gets you into a brand spanking new RX. Full warranty. Will hold it's value better than any other SUV.
Lexus also makes a smaller SUV, the NX. My neighbor has one. Similar in sizr to RAV4 CR-V.
Other than that, a nice AWD CR-V Hybrid would be my choice,

Low $40's gets you into a brand spanking new RX. Full warranty. Will hold it's value better than any other SUV.
Lexus also makes a smaller SUV, the NX. My neighbor has one. Similar in sizr to RAV4 CR-V.
Other than that, a nice AWD CR-V Hybrid would be my choice,

I know. While searching, I stumbled across a brand new (never titled) '17. They still wanted over 35 for it.

I traded in a 2018 Pilot Touring for a 2019 RX 350 and it was a good decision. With 30K miles the Pilot already had multiple problems requiring warranty work and it was already feeling "loose" and there was already a symphony of squeaks and rattles. Rear suspension booming also was really wearing on me. It has lots of road noise. It just didn't seem like it was a long-term keeper. My 2 cents....

I can't speak to the Ford, but both the 2GR in the Highlander/RX and the J35 in the Pilot are solid engines. The Honda is a belt, but I will quote you directly that if money ins't an issue a timing belt service also shouldn't be an issue. The RX will feel considerably smaller than the Highlander or Pilot...plenty of passenger room but the cargo area takes a hit with the roofline and no 3rd row (assuming we aren't talking about the 350L). The lower trim Pilots have the Honda H6 tranny, which IMO is the better option compared to the ZF9 found in the Touring and Elite.

Are driving dynamics important? If so, keep in mind the Highlander and RX are sleepy...akin to driving your living room around town. If that's what you want, the RX will be amazing. The Pilot's engine sounds and feels more sporty, and I know you mentioned FWD but Honda now takes the SH-AWD system from Acura and makes it available in the Pilot which makes the Pilot all the more engaging to drive, in particular in the bends.

It is really hard to buy a bad vehicle theses days (just stay away from Fiat/Chrysler) so I would buy the one the wife likes.
After 50 years of marriage thats my go to plan for anything that she gets for her self.
I would look at Mazda.
I think their SUV line up is stunning.

I can't speak to the Ford, but both the 2GR in the Highlander/RX and the J35 in the Pilot are solid engines. The Honda is a belt, but I will quote you directly that if money ins't an issue a timing belt service also shouldn't be an issue. The RX will feel considerably smaller than the Highlander or Pilot...plenty of passenger room but the cargo area takes a hit with the roofline and no 3rd row (assuming we aren't talking about the 350L). The lower trim Pilots have the Honda H6 tranny, which IMO is the better option compared to the ZF9 found in the Touring and Elite.

Are driving dynamics important? If so, keep in mind the Highlander and RX are sleepy...akin to driving your living room around town. If that's what you want, the RX will be amazing. The Pilot's engine sounds and feels more sporty, and I know you mentioned FWD but Honda now takes the SH-AWD system from Acura and makes it available in the Pilot which makes the Pilot all the more engaging to drive, in particular in the bends.

Agreed on the engines, that is why I have them on the list.
When I mention money, I'm referring to price gap between the Highlander and the Pilot.
From what I'm seeing online, there appears to be roughly a 4K difference between a comparable Highlander and a Pilot.
I figure that even with a $1100 TB service, I'm still money ahead.
That's even assuming that we have it that long and put that many miles on it.
I'm going to stick with the FWD in what ever we buy.
That fits in my self-imposed budget, plus I don't want the added complexity and maintenance of AWD.

I traded in a 2018 Pilot Touring for a 2019 RX 350 and it was a good decision. With 30K miles the Pilot already had multiple problems requiring warranty work and it was already feeling "loose" and there was already a symphony of squeaks and rattles. Rear suspension booming also was really wearing on me. It has lots of road noise. It just didn't seem like it was a long-term keeper. My 2 cents....

I've generally found Honda products (and I've had more than a few) to be noisier and sometimes rattlier.
However, our Odyssey has been rock solid. I couldn't say that about the 2000 Odyssey we had, however.
If the right deal came along on a Lexus, I might stretch the budget a bit and nudge Mrs. Tdbo along.
The Lexus is actually at the bottom of her list.

It is really hard to buy a bad vehicle theses days (just stay away from Fiat/Chrysler) so I would buy the one the wife likes.
After 50 years of marriage thats my go to plan for anything that she gets for her self.
I would look at Mazda.
I think their SUV line up is stunning.

I generally try to give her a wide berth, up to a point.
I look at things like longevity, service, and money. Aesthetics is her primary concern.
I have given in on Leather on two of the last three cars we purchased.
That's her thing, not mine.
I would have a Mazda on the list, but the dealer network around us really isn't great.
However, if none of the four pan out, we might explore that option.

1. Toyota Highlander: Everytime I have attempted to buy one, their arrogance and unwillingness to deal has resulted in me buying a Honda. If anyone in Ohio knows of a decent Toyota dealer, PM me.

2. Honda Pilot: The closest supply I can find is around Indianapolis, with exactly what we want in NC. Not sure I want the hassle of going that far,

3. Ford Edge: She likes it.

4. Lexus RX 350:

1) For cars like Toyota and Honda when dealerships don't behave, Costco is a viable option. I've had good luck with the Costco new car program, and was satisfied I got my money's worth.

3) I don't like the Edge or the way it drives. Rent them from time to time. It's sub-standard, IMHO. They were steeply discounted for a while there.

4) I like the RX and the way it drives. Nice V6 too. There are times when Toyota's are overpriced and Lexus are discounted, nicely blurring the line between the two choices.

Back