Audi Q5 - good selection for my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its expensive to own them and a nightmare to work on them. As you know you need special tools to work on them.

We own both a Japanese and German vehicle, just take a look at my sig. So far, neither have been trouble free. I purchased the Accord used with 32K miles. I am the second owner. Before I purchased the car it needed a new half shaft, that was replaced by our local Honda dealer. Since purchase it has needed a new VTC actuator and may currently need a new rear wheel bearing.

The Jetta was purchased new and currently has 39K miles. It has needed two new ignition cylinders due to the key becoming stuck when trying to remove and just recently had the water pump replaced due to a leak.

So neither have been trouble free.

Now that is out of the way, VW/AUDI does cost more to maintain and historically is not as reliable as say a Toyota or Honda. I do believe they are more reliable now than they used to be though.

In the end it is your choice, the Q5 is superior to the RAV in driving dynamics and looks in my opinion. However you will need to factor in maintenance costs and possible long term reliability concerns.

I would consider the Lexus RX. That would match your upscale wishes with the frugal and long term ownership ideals. Look at the CPO offerings at the dealers.

My brother has had a 2015 Q5 3.0T now with 85k since 20k / 2yrs old and been flawless. Not a single complaint and loves it.

Nothing Japanese even in luxury CUV remotely is in same caliber.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Id go for a used Highlander with higher end trim. An 2003 anything to a new Toyota is already a huge upgrade. Find one with leather etc..

+2 on the highlander.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Id go for a used Highlander with higher end trim. An 2003 anything to a new Toyota is already a huge upgrade. Find one with leather etc..

+2 on the highlander.

Highlander and Q5 don’t belong insane sentence. Apple and oranges. Maybe a Lexus RX350 or Acura RDX but both are not a Q5.

+2 on the highlander.

+3 on the highlander

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Nothing Japanese even in luxury CUV remotely is in same caliber.

Concur. And buying used makes the differences even more extreme.

I bought my Q7 from a Toyota store for $38k.

In the showroom was a brand new Highlander (with cloth interior!) for the same price.

I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken

+2 on the highlander.

+3 on the highlander

What is premium about a Highlander?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Bjornviken

+2 on the highlander.

+3 on the highlander

What is premium about a Highlander?

The price...lol

OP if your Wife wants a Q5 get her that. Happy wife happy life. From your post it sounds as if you have planned ahead and saved up to purchase the car. The "extra" cost of maintenance shouldnt be of concern if you plan for it.

The company I work for has many Mercedes Vans and they are super reliable and they make the GM and Ford vans feel like garbage on the road. The MB vans stop, corner and ride 10x better.

Buy what she wants, her opinion trumps a billion internet suggestions.

The MB GLC300 is a sweet Suv too, if a MB is a consideration.

Last edited:
I love the Q5....I have not owned one but I love them. If the Audi does not work out how about a Acura RDX or MDX? Or Mazda CX-9?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pelican
I had a MB E350 and now a Lexus RX350, this RX cost me 20-25% of what my MB cost me in maintenance. (both dealer maintained)

And there's your problem. Dealers from all makes will take advantage of customers when they can with unneeded services, but German brands are known to be the worst.

My BMW has a common problem where the oil filter housing gasket leaks. My GF's 2006 had the issue and she was quoted $1500 for the repair. A genuine OEM gasket costs $14 and it took me 1 hour to replace having never done it before.

The local dealer charges $150 for an oil change. I can do it with OEM filter and BMW approved oil for under $60.

If the OP can DIY basic maintenance and repairs the car won't be a nightmare to own.

I usually try to buy the Bentley manual if there is one available - you can usually find a decent copy of the factory digital manual on eBay.

Alldatadiy works well too.

Originally Posted By: Parlay_Slow
Pete - Can you share some common situations where the VCDS tool is needed for Audi maintenance?

changing rear brake pads. Need VCDS and battery charger to wind back the motors and reset the motors afterwards

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I usually try to buy the Bentley manual if there is one available - you can usually find a decent copy of the factory digital manual on eBay.

Alldatadiy works well too.

eBahn software sucks.

Audis are nice reliable vehicles. I have an A6 with 225k miles and when we were looking for a new car, we checked out Q7. While it's a well built vehicle, it wasn't as loaded as we would have liked. So we ended up with a Mercedes.

I would compare the Q5 with the alternative Mercedes and see how you like either of those. While I've always liked Audi interiors, it came nowhere near to the Mercedes.

As far as VCDS goes, I have found it to be invaluable in the last 10 years I've owned the A6. It cost $300 at the time and just to reset the oil change reminder beep is worth it.

I have a 2007 Audi A6 with 140k which has been more reliable than past ford or nissans...In 11 years replaced starter when a couple years old under warranty, bluetooth module failed caost 1k, solenoid for valvetrain I fixed for $200., 1 bad coil, I had independant replace and do full tune filters,plugs oil about 500. Had ac charged for 200. I do my own brakes cost about 400 for both axles and oil changes.Overal great car and still looks fantastic after 11 years. The paint and interior still look virtually new. After I shined it up last year a neighbor said good luck with new car. One thing I will say about german cars they hold up well over time. The interior/exterior of the ford and nissan looked old and worn out after 10 years......We just purchased a new Q5, hopefully it will be as good as the last

Last edited:
We went and test drove a Q5, and the wife was not loving some the German quirkiness of the interface and controls. Ended up test driving a 4Runner, which is a completely different car, and she loved that. I did some more research, and realized that a new 4Runner was only like 20% more expensive than a 2-3 y/o, so we bought a new one.

hAwjYQB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back