Audi Q5 vs Genesis GV70 and maybe Edge ST

I'm not ready to buy yet, but I'm always noodling through what the next car should be. Currently I have two vehicles which I try to split my driving evenly. I've got a 2019 Audi S3 and a '19 Kia Sorento with the 3.3 V6. I enjoy both cars and have had no issues with either, although truth be told, I've only had the S3 for less than two years. But so far so good with the Audi and I love that car. I'm impressed with the EA888 engine. For '19 it was rated at 288 hp, yet I can get 32.5 mpg on a road trip. That's pretty good in my opinion.

So back to the topic of what to do next, I will probably downsize to just one vehicle. I'm considering the Q5 because I'm very impressed so far with my Audi. The Q5 is the right size and has the same engine although detuned a little. The Genesis GV70 seems to be well liked. I would be looking at the 2.5 Turbo version which makes 300 hp. I'm assuming that the GV70 would be less expensive than the Audi when it comes to service and repairs. (I've been doing my own oil changes on my S3 and it has needed no other service or repairs so far).

The other consideration could possibly be the Ford Edge ST. That has the 2.7 turbo V6 which has always caught my eye (think 335 hp). I think that the Edge in that configuration would have the least mpg of these three. Again, I'm assuming that the Ford would be less expensive to maintain than the Audi.

I realize that an important first step would be test driving each. I will probably do that with the Audi next week when I'm at the dealer getting the S3 state inspected (Pa. yearly requirement). I visited the Ford and Genesis lots yesterday and there were no subject vehicles to be seen anywhere.

So I'm interested to hear your thoughts on these three vehicles, good or bad. I'm in no hurry with this.

Thanks for your consideration.

The most important metric in my car purchases is safety - how well will I survive a crash. My research has shown that German brands have the best survivability and I have been willing to pay extra $$$ for that.

Could also get the Lincoln nautilus instead of the edge. The base has the 2.0t which is plenty sufficient while the mid spec is the 2.7 while still being about 51k.

Anecdotal - My sister has had unresolvable A/T issues with her 2018-2019 Q5. Dealer told her Audi has no fix for the shift behavior.

Under a buy scenario I'd say go with the GV70 for the engine replacement warranty. The GV70 won't be Audi level of refinement and driving experience at the limits but the Audi doesn't have the same warranty either.

I thought this would generate a little more interest than it did. It is what it is I guess. I'll try to drive a Q5 next Monday and see where we go from there.
Thanks to all who replied.

I have a '21 SQ5 Sportback Prestige (B9.5) since it was brand new. It replaced a 2015 Allroad Premium Plus (B8.5). The Allroad had the 2.0T, and while it was trouble-free at 51k miles, I was worried at some point it would experience oil consumption issues with the propensity of the oil control rings to fill-up with soot from the DI process, which would lead to progressively worse oil ring sealing.

Not worried about that issue repeating in the 3.0T, and the 2.0T has been iterated since 2015. Overall, I've had two recalls with the SQ5, a center console high-frequency buzz at speed, and hard brake pedal after sitting (bad check valve for the brake booster vacuum line). The B9/B9.5 SQ5s with either engine has a recall for a Gateway Control Module (GCM) potential failure due to moisture ingress. Audi's Packaging Engineers put the Gateway Control Module under the center section of the rear seat, mounted to the floor pan in a slight depression. What happens if the kid's spill the sippy cup on the rear seat? Well, it runs down to the seat pan and wets the GCM, and then if it shorts out you could find yourself losing power and control at speed on the highway - not good! Oh, and it didn't help an assembly robot since 2018 has been mis-programmed, and the sealant for the body seam underneath the GCM was missing, so tire splash could get into the interior floor pan.

Overall, I am quite happy with the SQ5 - the 2018+ B9 Q5 should be a good vehicle for you, too.

Oof.

You’re gonna have issues with any of those.

The Genesis would be off my list due to horrible dealer experience (both sales and service). Good luck obtaining good warranty service when (not if) it’s needed.

Audi? No. No thanks to FWD-based architecture at that price point. VW/Audi dealership service departments also have a rep for being ”difficult”.

Edge ST? I’d be leery of Ford’s QC, especially with a complex powertrain like that. There’s also the fact that that engine is in there sideways, complicating servicing. Lotta stuff shoved in there. My mom also had 2 Edges (not the ST), and I’m not a fan of the floaty, disconnected handling. The ST may improve on that slightly with better suspension, but it’s still gonna be a heavy, FWD with most of the weight out front. Understeer city.

At that price point, I’d be looking at BMW. Still gonna have reliability issues. But it’s the most performance-focused, which would be my choice. If you’re going to decide to go German, and accept all the reliability problems and pricey maintenance, have the most fun you can have while driving it (to the shop 🤣).

I to am looking into the GV70. We had a Stelvio and sold it due to the closes dealer being 3+ hours away, and not being able to reset the oil life monitor on my own (loved the car though). I was excited about the GV70, as it seems like a good competitor to the Stelvio, but with a better warranty, cheaper parts, and what I thought was going to be a closer dealer...then I learned they won't service them at a Hyundai dealer, and the closest Genesis dealer is 2+ hours away. Why on Earth isn't there a Genesis dealer in the largest city in Iowa?!!?!

The dealer did explain they have a service to pick up and drop off the car for service work...but that is still a couple hundred miles of someone else driving my car putting unneeded miles on it...and who pays for the gas?

My sister has a '18 or '19 Q5 and other than the bad dealer experiences compared to Lexus, she likes it. No maintenance issues as of yet (4-50K miles I think.) I like the interior and exterior styling of my CX5 more but her Q5 trounces on my CX5 in every other imaginable way. It's faster and makes highway driving/passing more pleasurable, quieter, and shifting is smoother but there's the telltale DCT initial feel when taking off from a full stop. Suspension is way more refined too where it's firm, not rough and not floaty like a buick - you can definitely tell it's a German vehicle when going over bumps.

"Not a discussion at all...." someone says? LOL

All good choices. I'd go with the Genesis.

1668549402116.png

1668549463028.jpg

Last edited:
My 2015 Genesis was my favorite vehicle I've had, hands down. Extremely comfortable and a very well put together car. Quiet as a tomb.

But, it did have some warranty repairs. Might have just been because it's a low volume car, or maybe because it was an earlier Genesis. But IMO probably still less issues than an Audi.

I'd pick the GV70.

"Not a discussion at all...." someone says? LOL

All good choices. I'd go with the Genesis.

View attachment 126385

View attachment 126386
Thanks. I'm taking a harder look at the GV70.

I'm not ready to buy yet, but I'm always noodling through what the next car should be. Currently I have two vehicles which I try to split my driving evenly. I've got a 2019 Audi S3 and a '19 Kia Sorento with the 3.3 V6. I enjoy both cars and have had no issues with either, although truth be told, I've only had the S3 for less than two years. But so far so good with the Audi and I love that car. I'm impressed with the EA888 engine. For '19 it was rated at 288 hp, yet I can get 32.5 mpg on a road trip. That's pretty good in my opinion.

So back to the topic of what to do next, I will probably downsize to just one vehicle. I'm considering the Q5 because I'm very impressed so far with my Audi. The Q5 is the right size and has the same engine although detuned a little. The Genesis GV70 seems to be well liked. I would be looking at the 2.5 Turbo version which makes 300 hp. I'm assuming that the GV70 would be less expensive than the Audi when it comes to service and repairs. (I've been doing my own oil changes on my S3 and it has needed no other service or repairs so far).

The other consideration could possibly be the Ford Edge ST. That has the 2.7 turbo V6 which has always caught my eye (think 335 hp). I think that the Edge in that configuration would have the least mpg of these three. Again, I'm assuming that the Ford would be less expensive to maintain than the Audi.

I realize that an important first step would be test driving each. I will probably do that with the Audi next week when I'm at the dealer getting the S3 state inspected (Pa. yearly requirement). I visited the Ford and Genesis lots yesterday and there were no subject vehicles to be seen anywhere.

So I'm interested to hear your thoughts on these three vehicles, good or bad. I'm in no hurry with this.

Audi is a bag of snakes. None of my friends like theirs. New S4 and new Q5 are the latest bag of snakes two have acquired. They will never own Audi again. The Q5 especially strikes me as a POS. Nothing about it but the interior---and that, only if you spend $60K+...even with the 2.0, is worth a hill of beans.

Edge ST is dog slow for all its power. Shamefully so. Ford struggles hard with quality, as well. Sure it's got 335bhp and nearly 400# of torque, but don't expect 0-60 to happen in under 6 seconds, or if it does, it will be only by a tenth or two, and if you "don't count roll-out" lol! The most worthless 335hp I've ever heard of.

BMW really has some nice stuff out, but they're still a German brand, and buying it is the cheapest part of ownership, and that, even that, you need to really take out your wallet and watch it bleed if you want a vehicle that has all the options of a $35K Mazda. They nickel and dime you. For. Everything. MB, BMW, Audi, all alike, there. Subscriptions to use your NAV, adaptive cruise control not standard, the list goes on and ON! It's absolutely disgusting, aside from their other foibles. The Q5 my buddy spent $60K on? Doesn't even have radar cruise. My $32K 2019 CX5 GTR had that. And HUD. And cooled seats. And it didn't require realignment all the time...ever...actually, in 80K miles, lol! Just a mechanical rock of Gibraltar, that. Would that the S4 and Q5 in their household could say the same. Did I mention I hate Audi? It's like VW for people who want you to think they have money, but can't afford Lamborghini.

Hyundai/Kia can't seem to figure out combustion engines. It just eludes them.

I would urge you to look at the MB GLC300/GLC43AMG, Acura RDX, and budget option the Mazda CX5 turbo models. The M40i is also a beast.

Personally, I've gone over to full EV's. Nothing really competes with that for power and cost of operation.

Last edited:

I think once you have owned an Audi which you do it would be hard to live in the Ford for sure with their cheap interiors. We have a friend who has the GV80 its nice but seems like it is trying to hard with the styling. Also Hyundai seems to have their fair share of issues larely so I am not convinced they are much better than Audi. The Audi will probably cost more to service but if you do it yourself it is quite reasonable. We have a 2019 Q5 which we like, gets decent gas mileage and very comfortable. I havent driven either of the two other you are looking at but the Audi is quite refined and is our favorite car

I thought this would generate a little more interest than it did. It is what it is I guess. I'll try to drive a Q5 next Monday and see where we go from there.
Thanks to all who replied.
You are comparing cars from different categories, they don't overlap much.

Back