Which domestic 3-row crossover would last the longest?

Of that list, I'd do the Durango. If you can swing a Tahoe, that would be the holy grail.

My mistake - I thought OP was looking at current gen explorers with a longitudinal engine.

The sideways ones ... yeah, no good. Transverse , V6 is always a hard NO for me.

Out of that list ,only the Durango or 21 Exploder are what I'd chose.
I just assumed that once ford went with the transverse engine in 2011 that they would continue, but good for Ford for going back to the longitudinal layout in 2020.

I’d echo those who recommend Toyota and the person who suggested a larger GM product. Tahoe or Yukon, in particular.

In defense of Ford, although I wouldn’t buy one, my agency uses many police versions of the Explorer and at least two in civilian trim. All are MY2015-2021. One is over 100k miles. The only common problem with them is the frequent consumption of front end components, likely due to Vermont roads and the higher-ups wanting to keep repair expenses to a minimum. No expensive aftermarket components. Believe it or not, as soon as one pulls out of the police station one encounters the most vicious pothole for miles around— and nobody has ever repaired it! I’m sure that plays a role in our front end wear.

Other than that we beat the living heck out of those vehicles 24/7 and they generally keep going and going with only regular wear items. I think the second oldest one was throwing O2 sensor codes at one point, but once more I believe it was a regular wear item and not a significant repair.

Of that list, I'd do the Durango. If you can swing a Tahoe, that would be the holy grail.

Good point. I’ll have to look into them. Tahoes, Armadas, Expeditions. I know the full size trucks tend to last much longer. Just a matter of finding one that’s in good shape for $35k or less. Now that I think about it the three row crossovers aren’t that much more efficient than the full sizes so it’s a good alternative.

JMHO. The 3 row CUV types seem to be nothing but trade off's. If it were me, and I needed to tow and haul people, I think I would either go full size truck based - Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia - even if I had to go older.

It is engrained in my mind to get something newer than what I currently have which is a 2017 Accord. Going the full size route I would dump my ‘14 F150 too. Would save me the hassle of upkeep on two vehicles.

That being said if I can find a clean, rust free full size I’d be fine with something abit older. Maybe 2016 oldest. It’s just asking a lot for $30-35k price range. Most of the newer MY rigs are over 100k miles. And while the powertrains are solid, 100k miles of driving will still wear out the rest of the vehicle. I just don’t want to get to the point where I’m replacing the small stuff like window regulators, switches etc. as repairs can snowball real quick.

Good point. I’ll have to look into them. Tahoes, Armadas, Expeditions. I know the full size trucks tend to last much longer. Just a matter of finding one that’s in good shape for $35k or less. Now that I think about it the three row crossovers aren’t that much more efficient than the full sizes so it’s a good alternative.
You will get mega miles for $35K Tahoes.....

I'd want to see their power to weight ratio, Not exactly scientific but it could be a decent indicator along with cylinders. I'd lean more towards the 6 cylinders for longevity but the ration would help figure that out.

My money is on the Chrysler product for once. The Durango along with the Chrysler manufactured zf8 and the fairly mature 3.6 with lots of parts availability means it's good. Only thing to worry about is that stupid plastic oil cooler.

I'd want to see their power to weight ratio, Not exactly scientific but it could be a decent indicator along with cylinders. I'd lean more towards the 6 cylinders for longevity but the ration would help figure that out.
Not even close.....

We have a 15 wrangler, and16 Cherokee both with pentastar engines. Both over 130000 miles. Just routine maintenance and they run like new. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy the Durango. Only pia is changing the air filter.

All disposable cars with occasional outliers.

I’d pick Dodge .

However otherwise the only domestic that actually lasts are Tahoe/Suburban and great vehicles. The balance 🤮

Not even close.....
I would logically assume the OEM's take the weight into consideration as standard practice to determine what is needed or not for the performance/longevity requirements of buyers so there is science behind the ratio's. A four cylinder in an SUV is for fuel savings and ok lifespan. Put a six cylinder & it should last a bit longer but won't get the fuel savings. Just a general example. Do you think the same weight vehicle lasts longer with a 4 cylinder over a 6 cylinders? Just curious.

I would logically assume the OEM's take the weight into consideration as standard practice to determine what is needed or not for the performance/longevity requirements of buyers so there is science behind the ratio's. A four cylinder in an SUV is for fuel savings and ok lifespan. Put a six cylinder & it should last a bit longer but won't get the fuel savings. Just a general example. Do you think the same weight vehicle lasts longer with a 4 cylinder over a 6 cylinders? Just curious.
I don't think the difference is such the average consumer cares. Too many factors to consider such a theory.

Last edited:
My only issue with the Dodge is how badly, and quickly, Dodge vehicles rust.

My 09 Camry with twice the miles has WAY less rust than my ‘14 Chrysler Town and Country. RAM trucks look great for 5 years, then lose the rockers and wheel arches. This is a central IA and no where near as bad for salt as NY, MN, or IL.

UPDATE:

Ended up buying a 2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.
I swung by the local Dodge dealer to look at the Durango but it had been sold. Since enterprise was down the street I figured I’d swing in to see if they had any ex-rentals that I would like. Found a couple of ‘21 Highlanders, a 3-row equipped 4Runner, and a bunch of Pacificas.

Test drove the 4R didn’t like the ride. I know it is a bullet proof truck but it doesn’t really serve a functional purpose for me as I still have my F150. It was in good shape otherwise. Just normal wear & tear for 60k miles.

Highlander rode way better but was in very rough shape. Cuts on dash board and the exhaust rattle was a pass for me. The other ones had rust so they were also a pass. Couple of other dealers had lease turn-in examples but they were all sold when I got there(I bit the bullet and upped the budget to for a Highlander but apparently it still wasn’t enough)

The Chrysler has some scuffs inside from hauling bulky stuff, dented A pillar from a piss poor lock-out attempt, and an oily PCV. Those were about the only faults I could find after doing a through inspection. Carfax shows 5-10k OCIs. Underbody is clean as a whistle. Spent the most of its time in Oklahoma. With 60k miles the HV battery still has 32 miles of range as advertised.

Van rides good, well optioned, quiet, and tons of space. I do question Mopar hybrid reliability but it is what it is. EV components are still under factory warranty for another 6 years/40k too so only need to really worry about the pentastar.

Last edited:

There are 34 Tahoe's within 200 miles of central Iowa between $30k and $35k...most with under 100k miles, and some as low as 40k miles.

With that budget, you should have no trouble finding a Tahoe in great shape...at least around here.

Sticking to the list provided in the OP, I think everyone would agree that a pentastar and ZF8 would be the longest lasting of the powertrains in that list.

As much as I love our recently purchased 2021 Traverse, I like it most because it was easily $10K less than comparable 2021 Durango.

There are 34 Tahoe's within 200 miles of central Iowa between $30k and $35k...most with under 100k miles, and some as low as 40k miles.

With that budget, you should have no trouble finding a Tahoe in great shape...at least around here.
Problem with the Tahoe is the third row is horrible for the size of the vehicle. And if you do use it then the rear shortage suffers tremendously. Towing is where the Tahoe would shine IMO.

Well that, and making middle age soccer moms and dads think they are still cool even though no one actually thinks driving a Tahoe is cool.

“Look at that total bad *** driving that sweet, sweet Tahoe…” said by: No one, ever.

Reactions: JTK
Back