In the market for a newer vehicle

I had rented a 2024 Corolla for a week and put 750 miles on it.

All around a very very good car for the money.

It was a base model with cloth seats and just the basics.

If you can wait a little, there will be a Civic hybrid soon (2025 model).

If comfort is a priority, I would go for a Camry/accord hybrid. The midsized cars get just as good/better gas mileage as compacts and the longer wheel base helps inherently helps with comfort. Mazdas are definitely not comfortable.

There was a four door Civic Hybrid.
Honda called it the Insight.
My wife had an Insight. It was hands-down the most reliable vehicle we’ve ever had and the cheapest to operate. We got free dealership oil changes for life. So it just needed gas, filters, and tires. Only did the brakes, spark plugs and CVT fluid once each I believe. Maybe twice on the CVT fluid. No repairs in 180K ish miles. It was a great little economy car.

Late to the party, but why not a 2021-2023 Camry Non-Hybrid 2.5L? Rides pretty good, gets amazing fuel economy (I can get 40mpg easily) and doesn't really suffer from direct injection dilution issues. You can pick them up for around the same price as a smaller car. Also has a standard 8 speed automatic transmission, no CVT.

How about a Toyota RAV4? Might step up to small SUV. Maybe a Corolla Cross even?

Last edited:
I wonder if VW or other makes also offer a reliable smaller-sized SUV. Starting to compile a list that fit that criteria. Hopefully fuel economy isn’t that much worse.

You can find fantastic deals on a Malibu. Just saying.

But of the vehicles you're considering, the Accord 1.5T

Last edited:
Back