I'm cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

As far as synthetic at 7500 protecting better than dino at 3000, yes, in the long run. Chances are that you will never see it until 300k or more miles, but pull off the valve cover at 200k after running a dino oil & you'll see what I am talking about. What about the guy that drives 5 miles to work & 5 miles home never letting the car warm up? Yes, a quality synthetic oil will extend engine life here too (at 50 miles per week, he'll have to wait a long time to see it)

Conclusion: For the average person dino with changes at 3 months / 3,000 miles will do fine, but for us oil nuts that consider this a hobby, or want the absolute best for our engine - synthetic is the way to go.

Some Syn's work good. But it is a big mistake to assume all Syn's will be better for your engine. I believe in Schaeffer's 7000 series Blend. Also Motul 8100 and 300V. Maybe throw in RedLine as well. But all the other so-called "synthetic oils" out there? Sorry, but give me good old Dino oil any day.

Long run? 200,000 miles, 300,000 miles? Sorry, man. I have seen engines grenade at 3,000 miles and less with using Syn oil. Not the above 3 brands though. Don't be fooled into thinking you always get 3X the quality and performance if you pay 3X the price. More expensive does not always mean Mo' betta.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
Msparks, why are you always confrontational? It is his car and his money.

And his accusation that those of us using synthetic oil are wasting our money & making the oil companies richer. I took this with a grain of salt due to the
wink.gif
after the statement & therefore, didn't take offense to it, but tried to make our (the synthetic users) point of view a little clearer.

We are all here because we love lubrication (to a point) and we can't absorb enough knowledge about lubrication. Most all users are open minded (usually) and accept that maybe it's "different strokes for different folks". msparks is a leader in extended drains & is willing to use his $20,000+ Ford truck as a test vehicle for the rest of us to learn from. None of us accuse anybody else of wasting money when we spend $100 out of our own pockets on oil filters just so we can cut them up to see how they are made. Is your car gonna die if you use an orange filter, no, but we all know that these are substandard filters because somebody "wasted" some money so the rest of us could benefit.

So please, keep any opinions to yourself unless they are constructive.

I use no additives regularly (I add some for "sport" from time to time.)

I don't use expensive filters, nor do I have a bypass. (I use FL-1A's)

I use synthetic oil and change at 10K intervals.

My turbo gas car has 240,500 miles. 80 oil changes at 6 qts or 24 oil changes at 6 qt, you do the math at whatever price point you want to use for the oil.

As much as I like to work on my car - I don't enjoy changing my oil mid winter, or on a special weekend or whatever.

I will start a new "experiment" with my old car. 50/50 15W-40 blend and see how long I can extend,

As for longer OCI's, I went 20,000 miles on the newer car (non turbo). Oil was not full of grit etc, wear metals were quite low. Not hyping, not selling...just saying my time is valuable and I'm cheap...

I use synthetic and change it every 5-8k miles.
grin.gif

For high performance cars I would only use synthetic. They can withstand more heat and give you more protection and have greater film strenth and usually anti-wear packages. So for basic cars like mine, I could get away with dino at 3k miles however, I think one of the reasons my car runs as well as it does is bc synthetics along with Rx have kept my engine very clean.

userfriendly wrote:

quote:

Because the more they spam discussion boards

Excuse me but I don't believe MS Sparks was spamming any more than your belicose caterwalling - no one tells you what to do with your opinion and as far as I know you have donated nothing (financially) to this BB - I can say that MS (and I) have.

quote:

Originally posted by PJH:

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Originally posted by PJH:

You're just making the oil companies richer!
wink.gif

OH I am? Havn'et changed my oil in over 2 years. I use High quality synthetic, by-pass filtration, and oil analysis.

Sound's to me like your the one making oil companies richer.

Sorry wouldn't leave "any" oil in for 2 years due to acids,condensation,grit..........

I have left mine in for 4+ years before and do 25k oil changes. I posted pictures under the valve cover a while back. Very clean.

Really sorry I stirred up the pot!

My point was 'in my opinion only' for the average daily driver (me) using good dino oil and filter regularly (3to4 times a yr)is more economical than overkilling with expensive synthetic at 3 times the cost (making the oil companies richer
wink.gif

After owing over 20 cars and trying synthetics vs dino, I have seen zero difference except in my wallet.

For race cars, hi-performance cars.....synthetic may be the answer.

As far a premium gas - it cost approx 2 cents more / litre to produce but they charge 10+ cents more to the consumer (us)!

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
So what is your point caller?
dunno.gif

I belive this was it ---------------
I'd say the Amsoil salesmen want us to make them rich.
Its not gonna happen. Not from me

quote:

I'd say the Amsoil salesmen want us to make them rich.
Its not gonna happen. Not from me

Actually, the AMSOil salesmen you are referring to are making us rich. That's right, they are sight sponsors, and we are being enriched by knowloedge gained from this site.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Long run? 200,000 miles, 300,000 miles? Sorry, man. I have seen engines grenade at 3,000 miles and less with using Syn oil. Not the above 3 brands though. Don't be fooled into thinking you always get 3X the quality and performance if you pay 3X the price. More expensive does not always mean Mo' betta.
grin.gif

I agree, more $$ doesn't mean better - however, a quality synthetic oil is going to cost more than a quality dino.

As far as the enignes with synthetic oil going at 3,000 miles - I doubt this was a lubrication failure.

Well, dang it, "cutehumor", ya' beat me. I was gouged 68 cents a quart for closeout Chevron Supreme 10W-30 quarts at Target. I was also gouged $2.00 each for closeout oversize Wix-made Castrol oil filters at K-mart. At 5 quarts per change, I'm taking a $5.40 hit every 3,000 miles for the next 50,000 miles. Oh, well...

[ October 28, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

PJH,
crushedcar.gif
The main reason, I spent alot of money on my cars, I change the oil 3 times a year. for an extra 40.00 a year I get synthetic oil and a good Pure One filter. Why take any chances, try it you'll sleep better.

I'm cheap too
tongue.gif

53 cent quart dino oil (after rebate) 3.5 quarts
1.97 supertech oil filter
my total cost is about $4 oil change

when I did my UOA,I spent 12.50
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sHERM:
PJH,
crushedcar.gif
The main reason, I spent alot of money on my cars, I change the oil 3 times a year. for an extra 40.00 a year I get synthetic oil and a good Pure One filter. Why take any chances, try it you'll sleep better.

Thanks man but dino tastes better
wink.gif

I am a little slow on this but......for future reference - K is the symbol for thousand, so 5000K is 5 million miles and 8000K is eight million miles, whereas 5K is five thousand miles, etc. Just a picky thing with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back