If you had $5,000 to spend on a fun car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, finally cars in my budget. I hate spending lots of cash on depreciating assets right now.

Having owned two '94 SHO's, an '88 5.0 and currently a Bonneville SSEi.. for that amount of money, I would give the nod to a clean manual-trannied Mustang first; something L67 powered second and finally the SHO.

Our manual-trannied SHO by far was the most fun to drive, especially with the reaction factor. You could get one for half your budget. But both our '94s were money pits. Lots of things went wrong. A great motor in a [censored] body.

My old Mustang was just a blast to drive, bullet proof and your typical pony car. When the kids get older I'll have another one.. maybe in SN95 style though.

And the Bonneville is just a great cruiser. It's a little porky, but it gets up and goes plenty for me, and gas mileage isn't that bad for having 240+hp. I can get in the low 30's on flat ground and 30-31 on my hilly commute if I'm careful.

A downfall to the L67 is the thirst for premium fuel. Regular and super unleaded (87/89) are priced very similarly around here per station.. but premium's (91) price can vary by 20-30 cents/gallon. If you drive a lot that can add up if you don't want to "bargain shop" for gas.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Fox body!

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 95busa
C4 s did not have t-tops. They had a targa roof.

As I said: The lack of a real roof is the main reason I have no interest in a C4 Corvette. A targa is still not a real roof!

Find a good BMW e36 convertible.
Fun, reliable and well made.
Mine is a warm weather daily driver, and I've put 40K on it over the spring/summer/falls I've driven it.
A Miata is also a very nice and very reliable car.

But how many miles will a Miata have, that can be bought for $5000? or what will be its condition?

I am watching this thread because our current 3rd/spare/beater car the Elantra has 210k miles and sooner or later we will need a 'new' beater/3rd car. And my budget target was exactly what OP has in mind: $5000. But I won't be too much concerned with the fun part...
It just needs to be a compact, have less than 75k miles (80k tops), and decent MPG, and reliable. IF it's fun to drive, I'll take that as a bonus. (Main 2 cars have enough of that factor).

And I have started tentatively searching, mostly based on ebay and Craigslist prices (which I know is not always a good measure, but man let me tell you, used cars are $$ !! I didn't find a single one that met the criteria for $5000 and even $6000). I guess including Auto trader will vastly improve the search...

My tentative 'targets' included Elantra (XD generation), Imprezas, Focus hatches/sedans, Preludes, Golf/Jetta, Civics, Integra, Cavalier, Saturn SL/SC etc. oh yeah, and Miatas, and Mazda 3, and even Proteges. No Luck! (at least on Ebay and CL so far...)

I am almost tempted to refresh the front end of the Elantra (badly needs springs and/or struts which are still factory and have 210k miles) and keep it, as it never had any mechanical repairs except a radiator replacement.

I'd keep the Elantra. You know its history, you know you like it, you won't get anything for a Hyundai with 210,000 miles...keep it!

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Morris Marina.

Just kidding!
grin.gif

Actually, how about a Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo from the late 80s/early 90s? Last year, I saw one for the first time in MANY YEARS. It was alongside a pre-'93 Supra Turbo AND an early 90s Turbo MR2. (What are the odds of seeing all three of these at once after more than twenty years?!?!?) I also remember when they were introduced and I thought they were all very interesting cars. But... my guess is that a good example of either model will run upwards of $5k, but who knows.

You mean the one with the hood scoop? Yeah I remember those, liked em. Back in the day whan toyota made good and interesting cars.

Never saw one in person.

BMW 3 series. Hands down. Reliable, fun, quick, great mileage, and doens't take much money for them to out-handle and out-corner 99.9% of whats on the road.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
The answer is Miata.

I have to agree, of course...

P1020610-1.jpg

Reliable, easy to work on, fun!

This is a '93, first gen '89-'97.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
For drivers taller than 6 feet, is there a bubble top available?

No, but the roof folds back...
wink.gif

I have a longish torso for 6'1" and I didn't have a problem driving a '91 Miata except for stop lights. You have to remember to stop either so you can look over the window frame for back far enough to look through the window.
You can trim the seat cushion foam to get a little more headroom too. Then you can go to aftermarket seats for a little more room.

I will wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion of the Miata. Several were available in the $3500 to $6000 range in my area recently. All were pretty solid cars, ended up purchasing a 2001 Miata with 45k miles, all maintenance history, and near new tires for $6000. The seller was a bit motivated - a non-essential government employee and this was an extra car.

I know my opinion will not be popular...but take that 5K and save it. A 401k is always your best option if your employer gives a match, if not then a Roth IRA is hard to beat.

Note: I drive a 2004 Saturn!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back