If you had $5,000 to spend on a fun car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is maintenance an issue? If you want simple, cheap maintenance maintenance go RWD. If its used as a daily driver, consider crash protection as well. I tend to agree with the Fox Body crowd. For another $2K you can put a mild boost supercharger on them for added fun. I have an 85 Mustang GT with a Saleen supercharger kit. I just got a Lincoln Versailles IRS to be bolted on over the winter. I will then put 5 lug wheels on it. I have about $8K tied up in mine. A neighbor of mine bought a Corvair Spyder in good shape for $5K which seems kind of fun.

I still wish i had the '87 Suzuki Samauri i let go. I'd probably spend the 5k looking for another amd getting bigger tires

I`d want another one of these:

28i3j2v.jpg

Just a fun car?

TR6

I had a Spitfire. I want to move up.

Maybe a 240/260/280Z. I had a 260Z. Another one of those cars I wish I could have back.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Lexus SC

wow! That's what I did! manual SC300
smile.gif

I have seen one 5 speed SC in my life
...and I should have bought it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Old Integra GS-R would still be tons of fun, too:

acura-integra-gs-r-coupe-1994-98-r3.jpg

This was my first car I bought with my own money back when I graduated college 10 years ago.
I just purchased another one last week- Forgot how much fun the Interga offers in a bombproof, efficient package. If you find one with a nice body (and no stupid modifications) they will still stand out on the road as eye catching.

Last edited:
1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type
(With a Series III 3800 Supercharged mated up to a GM F40 6-Speed stuffed under the hood)
grin.gif

Morris Marina.

Just kidding!
grin.gif

Actually, how about a Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo from the late 80s/early 90s? Last year, I saw one for the first time in MANY YEARS. It was alongside a pre-'93 Supra Turbo AND an early 90s Turbo MR2. (What are the odds of seeing all three of these at once after more than twenty years?!?!?) I also remember when they were introduced and I thought they were all very interesting cars. But... my guess is that a good example of either model will run upwards of $5k, but who knows.

early 2000's BMW 540i 6 speed manual.

Ultimate hoon car that is incredibly comfortable and quiet too.

My other dream car but not $5000 is 1991 Acura NSX. My wife got to drive her friends husbands(her friend could not drive manual) one from Acura dealer and picked me up for a ride.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Lexus SC

wow! That's what I did! manual SC300
smile.gif

Nice!

My uncle's got a 97' SC400 that he's looking to trade in for a SC430. I've got my eye on it! Should have bought it from him when I had the chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back