A decent $5,000 car?

Look for old lady/old man cars, probably easier to find with low miles. ES300, ES330, Avalon, 06-10 Sonata, Buicks, stuff with a less common name that sits on the market longer because people don't know to search for it.

Not necessarily recommending these, but everyone knows what a Chevy Trailblazer is and if they want one, they search for that. But there could be a diamond in the rough of a Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, or Saab 9-7x. Most people haven't heard of those.

Had some cars from Florida, rust will still be present. Salty air does it's job. It's also very common to see how one side of the car is more rusty than the other. That's usually a result of which side faces the ocean, when the owner parks it in driveway.
Mine is from Bonita Springs, FL. At least in 2016, on the lift the Japanese indie said this doesn’t look like a typical 10 yo NJ car. Since the previous owners’ address is in the GPS, I saw their house is on the Imperial River. Not sure if that’s salt water or not. Just googled and says it’s brackish….

Look for old lady/old man cars, probably easier to find with low miles. ES300, ES330, Avalon, 06-10 Sonata, Buicks, stuff with a less common name that sits on the market longer because people don't know to search for it.

Not necessarily recommending these, but everyone knows what a Chevy Trailblazer is and if they want one, they search for that. But there could be a diamond in the rough of a Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, or Saab 9-7x. Most people haven't heard of those.
This led me to the LS430 in 2016…wasn’t $5k but $14k was reasonable for an ‘06 with high 70’s mileage at the time

Had some cars from Florida, rust will still be present. Salty air does it's job. It's also very common to see how one side of the car is more rusty than the other. That's usually a result of which side faces the ocean, when the owner parks it in driveway.
Only if near the coast. Which is less and less common in recent years. FL has grown inland. Heck, I'm 11 miles from the coast, zero, and I mean zero, rust. 200K and 225K miles on my highest mile vehicles.

And as always, it does not take much of an inspection to determine if parts are rusting or not. Look at the bolt heads, as an example.

I just searched AutoTrader in Zip Code 33478, 100 mile radius, $4,000-6,000, and got a number of results. Some "seem" viable. While many were from 2002-2006, there were some newer cars, and a few EV's.

As always, a low price used car is a risk and even a good inspection won't pick up all internal problems.

South Florida is a great place to pick up a used car. No rust, and smooth roads, so suspension components are not destroyed and cars don't rattle. They can be sun-baked though.

Found a clean, local 2011 Equinox with 3.0L engine, 110K miles in that list. Those engines make about 170K if maintained at all and transmissions over 200K.
Most know about the southern rust free auto's but I'd never thought about flat land & it being easy on suspension. Also, funny you mentioned Equinox b/c I was going to mention the GMC Terrain w/2.4L 4 cylinder. :)

If it wasn't six hours away I would go see @macarose about this Volvo. It's out of your budget by $1500 but it looks like something I would enjoy driving.

Well, around here a decent $5,000 car will cost you at least $6,000, or more. Unless you get really lucky, have a neighbor, family member or whoever might cut you a deal on one of their rides.

Good luck. I paid $6,500 for this 2005 Corolla S; it's pretty good but not perfect by any means.
1710690208259.jpg

I have a friend who is looking for a reliable car for around $5,000. That's not exactly my area of expertise (if I was looking in that price range I'd be drawn to decrepit Alfas, a miled-up SLK or a dead 924). Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Sell him the old 318i for five grand.
A known good car that will endure for at least another decade.

Well, around here a decent $5,000 car will cost you at least $6,000, or more. Unless you get really lucky, have a neighbor, family member or whoever might cut you a deal on one of their rides.

Good luck. I paid $6,500 for this 2005 Corolla S; it's pretty good but not perfect by any means.
View attachment 208842
Does that mean a decent $6,000 car would cost $7,800 or more near you?!

I’ve never met the OP but for some reason a picture of a man shuddering uncontrollably just ran through my mind… :ROFLMAO:
back in the day we said for every $1,000 spent we want 1 year of usage. I spent $2,200 on my 1979 Volvo 264 GLE and I drove it 8 years.

The 1998 Maxima SE 5 spd with every option cost $22,700. It went 1998-2023.

My 2007 BMW cost $44,700 and my wife’s 2011 GM cost $42,300–these are not going anywhere near the $1,000/yr rule.

The 2006 Lexus cost $14,000 and has been on the road going on 8 years. It should have no problem.

The 2025+ Tahoe High Country will be by far the most expensive vehicle we ever get by a Longshot. I won’t live 90 years and I doubt it can drive to the year 2115 😂

P.S. the $5,000 number means something to each of us, but likely something different

1996 Camry Wagon, 1 owner, $3600. Somebody save this thing, it needs to live with an enthusiast. It has the reverse 3rd row seats too!

View attachment 209017View attachment 209019View attachment 209020View attachment 209022
When that car came out I had a Hertz rental and thought it was fantastic…at my job in 1999, a coworker had a 1995 coupe with stick…I’d gladly drive it today 👍

Idk where in KY your friend is, but here are a couple options. You only mentioned reliable, so I threw a couple gas guzzlers on the list. But I would strongly suggest coming down to SouthEast. You can get a much better vehicle for same money. And rust free. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh all have tons of good cars below $5k. Then take a road trip back home on new-to-your-friend car. Don't forget to negotiate 🙂

That xB is an EXACT TWIN to mine! With better paint & wheels, a ton of new parts-but 40K more miles. Guy's put $4000 of parts in it, if the list is to be believed!

Back