Had to buy another car #11. Can you blame me?

Saw this about 14 weeks ago and fell in love with the body lines and overall look. Can't recall ever seeing one. Tried to resist contact. Yet after 12 weeks I felt it was hanging around to torture me unless I went to see it much like my Parklane did in 2003. So I went, I saw, and I bought. Owner is a big time professional restorer for museums. Huge property with looked like 4 warehouses and around 60 cars from the 20's to the 70's. Some beautiful stuff being finished up for a museum in Austria. No property pictures out of respect for privacy. Anyway he saw the car in Washington State and had to have it. After a year he realized he had 6 others car of his to drive like a 57 Bel Air, 47 Caddy, 57 Caddy, 69 Mustang Mach I to name some. Beautiful shape. In the end he realized he had to sell it and sell it at a loss as he violated the cardinal rule of over paying. Turned done two others as not appropriate for the car. Being cars guys we had an in depth conversation and he decided to let me have it. I haven't driven it yet as I pick it up this Sunday and it will be driven down by a friend as it is 37 miles away. Other than going over the car mechanically wise it stays original. Lucky thing is everything is there and the interior is perfect.

Didn't say what it is did I?

Ambassador_001.jpg

In a "What's your dream car.." thread from not too long ago I mentioned a '69-'70 Ambassador 4 door.
The neighbors 4 houses away had one and I always loved the lines.
Your wagon is facelifted; so '72-'73 is my guess. The front bumper isn't "5 mph", I don't think.

Give it a Continental spin such as, "Touring Edition" as that was a term then....Estate Wagon in Briton.
Remember, these vehicles were advertised in European editions of Reader's Digest.

edit: Faux wood over white? I 'thought' it was always pale yellow?

Last edited:
That is awesome! My grandmother retired from AMC, my dad worked from them through the Chrysler purchase and retired from Chrysler. Growing up, my grandmother drove a white with vinyl roof 2 door Ambassador until 1991 when she finally had to replace it with an Acclaim lol My aunt had a Gremlin also. Love the old AMC cars. I grew up in Eagles and Waggoneers.

Love those Ambassador's! Nice find. Always loved those door handles that were ahead of their time.

Nice find! Most manufacturers had gotten rid of the vent/wing windows by the late sixties. I would love to have it!

My friend drove is father's '66 Ambassador wagon (327ci., Holley 4bbl) when he was in high school. Still had the foot pump windshield washer (like a lot of Fords of that era, IIRC) and vacuum windshield wipers.

My friend used to have informal wiper contests; you guessed how long he could get the wipers to stop wiping, then he'd bury the throttle.

The paint and chrome looks pristine. No rust? Chrome doesn’t look pitted at all.

I’m not sure I could resist lowering the nose a bare touch, and adding a conservative but all-business set of wheels and tires, big block and super-quiet intake and exhaust. And some shade of charcoal gray, forest green, or black.

So it is a 1972 Ambassador Brougham wagon with the 360-2V engine. Most everything was standard except disc brakes and the styled wheels which the original owner opted for.

One side has two small dents which a PDR guy will take care of for me. The original paint is in great shape. The original chrome is in great shape. All the trim is present and undented. There is no rust. The Di-noc has seen better days but I will replace that. A friend did a 72 Country Squire and says this is easy. The two way tailgate only operated down as door wise it resisted so I left it alone for now. The dash does have the fake wood grain that someone asked about and yes it is behind the speedometer.

On Bring a Trailer a bronze or greenish 72 wagon with the 401 instead along with some paint work and rechroming went for $27K. Seeing that tells me I need to raise the value of the car on Hagerty as I paid 8K. I will check out mechanical systems, clean the engine, get new WSW tires, and get my equipment out to do a little compounding on the paint. Interior I'll wipe down but that is all.

I got stuck with an AMC Eagle with 200k miles in college (free).

Guessing interior similar to your buy as it was so outdated in 1980s. Incredible off-road vehicle , the AWD was no joke.

8k? Phew, I woulda bought that too. Wagons are a long dead vehicle, and it’s a shame they are. Great practicality without all the burdens of SUVs.

Saw this about 14 weeks ago and fell in love with the body lines and overall look. Can't recall ever seeing one. Tried to resist contact. Yet after 12 weeks I felt it was hanging around to torture me unless I went to see it much like my Parklane did in 2003. So I went, I saw, and I bought. Owner is a big time professional restorer for museums. Huge property with looked like 4 warehouses and around 60 cars from the 20's to the 70's. Some beautiful stuff being finished up for a museum in Austria. No property pictures out of respect for privacy. Anyway he saw the car in Washington State and had to have it. After a year he realized he had 6 others car of his to drive like a 57 Bel Air, 47 Caddy, 57 Caddy, 69 Mustang Mach I to name some. Beautiful shape. In the end he realized he had to sell it and sell it at a loss as he violated the cardinal rule of over paying. Turned done two others as not appropriate for the car. Being cars guys we had an in depth conversation and he decided to let me have it. I haven't driven it yet as I pick it up this Sunday and it will be driven down by a friend as it is 37 miles away. Other than going over the car mechanically wise it stays original. Lucky thing is everything is there and the interior is perfect.

Didn't say what it is did I?

View attachment 201221
Recognized that AMC instantly. I always loved when AMC got themselves into American auto racing and put out stuff like the AMXs ,the Javelins and especially loved the super rare (one year only) 1976 red/white/blue tire shredder called The Rebel Machines that came with the ram air 390 cui 4bbl / dual exhaust and the tach mounted on the hood! Lots of folks confused The Rebel Machines with a Mopar they looked so similar to the original Road Runners-just a bit shorter.
amc-rebel-the-machine-was-the-last-underdog-of-the-muscle-car-era_10.jpg

Back