2023 1.5/CVT Malibu Rental car.

I have a 23 Malibu as a rental right now. I agree with OPs review. Pretty good car overall and the CVT isn’t too bad. I think it’s because that little 1.5T has plenty of low end torque, so the RPMs are always low when driving normally.
It’s pretty smooth and quiet, with tire noise being the most prominent. Perhaps better tires would fix that.

Not sure of their overall quality and reliability, but I’ve definitely been in worse rentals that are considered better models.

I am not even sure what you compare it to at that price point. A Civic? A Corolla?
Agreed!

The reviews talk about the "dated" Malibu design and how it's now competitive with the segment leaders, e.g. Accord, Camry, K5, etc ...

But in real world pricing (Not MSRP) you can get one for up to $10k cheaper, so it's not really an apple-to-apple comparison.

I remember thinking that if I needed a car to just put tons of miles on, you could do a lot worse…. And it would be tough to do a ton better if all you’re doing is wasting hours on the interstate.
+1
for a brand-new commuter, it meets all the criteria I'd need:
comfy heated seats, great crash test rating, impressive fuel economy, low NVH etc.

girlfriends 13 base malibu bought new was ok at first, BUT by 60 thou was using over a qt oi oil in a thou, so she dumped it for a 7 thou mile 18 kia optima, a MUCH better car overall IMO + still doing well using NO oil!!!!

Last edited:
I bought our 2016 Malibu (the older 8th gen style) for one of my kids last year. I just took it for a test drive the other day after doing some maintenance on it. I've only driven this car a few times and each time I do I am surprised at how comfortable it is and how nicely it drives for having nearly 90K miles on. Especially since it's had several owners before we bought it. It may have even started out life as a rental. It burns no oil between 4-5K OCIs and sounds/runs smooth as butta.

My only complaint is I just about whack my melon on the roof line every time I get into the driver's seat. The door openings are really tight for a car that looks relatively large from the outer dimensions.

IMO, these are a great budget car and can be had cheap used, per today's standards.

I bought our 2016 Malibu (the older 8th gen style) for one of my kids last year. I just took it for a test drive the other day after doing some maintenance on it. I've only driven this car a few times and each time I do I am surprised at how comfortable it is and how nicely it drives for having nearly 90K miles on. Especially since it's had several owners before we bought it. It may have even started out life as a rental. It burns no oil between 4-5K OCIs and sounds/runs smooth as butta.

My only complaint is I just about whack my melon on the roof line every time I get into the driver's seat. The door openings are really tight for a car that looks relatively large from the outer dimensions.

IMO, these are a great budget car and can be had cheap used, per today's standards.
We have a 2.0 turbo, 2015 it has been an excellent car, just passed 100,000 miles

Rented one yesterday (it was a 2023 with ~24000 miles) and I was surprised at the potency of the powertrain; the cvt was particularly impressive and I think it compares well with anything from Subaru or Honda. The engine is somewhat noisy but what really disappointed me was the noisy blend doors: they actually emitted a metallic creak when I selected various distribution modes. My 2014 Lacrosse had the same problem. I cringed whenever I used the HVAC controls, and it detracted from my enjoyment of the car. The small details are important.

Article in the CVT used:

Back