Traded in the Sonata for a Malibu. Dealership issue.

ive owned 2 malibues since 2016 , a 2016 and 2023 , extremely reliable , extremely efficient on fuel ,overall a great car just recently trading the 2023 for a equinox , easier to ease into with a bad back
im sure you will like your new ride , sorry for the unfortunate circumstances

I mean the engine won't grenade now, minor details 🤣

But the rest of the car, I respectfully disagree.
You can, but it won't die. You don't like Malibus you have proved that in other threads and that is fine, but I'm taking one before ANY Kia/Hyundai product.
I'd bet money my 2015 out lives any 2015 Kia/Hyundai product. I typically stay out of these threads, but the Malibu is better.

Last edited:
I've always thought these were good looking cars. Did they fix the CVT's on them? I've heard horror stories. I had a coworker who's trans was cooked at 80k ish miles.

Speaking of CVTs and having the Subaru fail, I drove my friends Civic with the CVT the other day. It was only the 2.0L. I was actually impressed with it. I can understand why Car and Driver gave it a 10/10. It's actually grown up quite a bit and is a fantastic daily driver IMO.

I believe the GM CVTs are good.

Keep us updated on gas mileage ( calculated gas mileage thread ) , like that of your previous vehicles . Good looking car . Enjoy

Yes, it does. Thus far, i'm very impressed. This drivetrain really works well together. I've also watched a few videos and the fluid change seems pretty straight forward/easy.
Had one as a rental for five days. I totally agree that the engine/cvt combo works very well in the Malibu. The torque from the 1.5t engine keeps the rpm low and should stress the cvt less, but that's speculation on my part. It was also quiet and smooth riding.

Took the Sonata in for a recently developed slight ping (on regular) and a startup rattle coming from the rear. They take it in without hitch. Two days later they call me in and say it's done. I reach the dealership and see they parked my car 2ft adjacent to a wall (passenger side). I jump in and move it out to a regular parking spot to give it a look-see. Low and behold, there's a 5 inch scratch down to the metal causing valley dent. I calmly walk over and show the Tech. With a straight face he asks, "how'd you do that in our parking lot?" He then puts his palm up and mentions to the guys who retrieve the cars to get another guy to see "what other cars I damaged."

Needless to say, I was LIVID. Nt to mention the audacity that he was more upset than me. The dealership completely refused to entertain anything other than it was the customer's fault.

I didn't buy the car there but heard this dealership was quicker. I learned my lesson. On my way home it still pinged. That was the straw... I called our family attorney who mentioned how much and how drawn out the litigation could be. I gave up after a week and the dealership sent me a $750 check plus a release of fault letter i had to sign. Our local Chevy dealership gave me a truly great deal and now I'm back in the General's graces...after 30 years.
View attachment 208479
View attachment 208480
View attachment 208481
That would have my blood pressure maxed out.
Our Sonata is at the Hyundai dealership right now with a seized engine. So far service has been good, fingers crossed it stays that way.

I'm impressed with the comfort, ride and handling of my kid's 2016 Malibu for the 91k mile beater it is. They're a great economical option for today's market.

In terms of the Hyundai's parking lot ding situation, that's a difficult one. You'd hope dealership personnel would own up to it and make it right if it was on then.

Unfortunately odds are it was probably like any other parking lot ding. Some clueless customer backed into it and drove off. I know dealers lots where I live are jamb packed. Bad things are going to happen. Is it the dealer's fault? I dunno.

I could be obsessive. Whenever I drop a vehicle off for repairs, I take pictures of it. When I pick them up, I visually inspect it before ever getting into the car. My local Ford dealer has really good customer service. They actually bring your vehicle around to the front of the service department and put the keys in your hand. They can actually see me doing a walk around.

I am a fan of CVTs in everyday vehicles. I just like the way they go about their business. I don't WOT enough that it bothers me not having a stepped shift auto. If I want something else, I'll just buy something else.
Same. I don't really have a favorite type of transmission. I've driven some nice manuals, automatics and CVTs. And also some bad ones. Just depends on the car and it's use/purpose. I do like the smoothness of a good CVT. Nothing is worse than a jerky, unpredictable automatic or notchy manual.

Malibu's are nice cars now. The CVT is made by GM (not Jatco!), uses a chain, and might actually be OK.
I just don’t see everything as an appliance. I don’t doubt it’s a decent car mechanically. It’s just an old car. I drove a 2018 when it was new and couldn’t stand it, same generation. But maybe somehow they’ve upgraded the same generation.

We rented one in Arizona and imo it was just ok. My issue was I'd hit my head on the pillar when getting in, and I'm only 6'..

Back