My Positive Service Experience at a Toyota Dealership

I worked for two independent dealership groups. One owned a Volkswagen dealer, still own a BMW dealership, and had owned a Porsche/ imports dealerships. Not sure why they sold the VW dealership a couple of years ago to a large group. Porsche wanted something like $500,000 in upgrades ten years ago and they said no and dropped them. VW offered them the option to sell the Phaeton way back when but again it required a $500K investment and separate wing to be built on the dealership they said no. The other is a guy who owns two Toyota, two Lexus and maybe a couple of others built a Lexus dealership super cheap back in the day. When I worked there they consistently had missed sales goals. It's insanely expensive now to own a dealership as manufacturers change course on products, branding etc. Plus the sales side is tough as alot of dealerships have minimum training, most coworkers are already trying to hit sales goals and can't help, people sponge off of your customer list etc.
Maybe car repair is like pets and vet bills (few private offices remain, costs skyrocketed big time). My first new car was the 1998 Nissan Maxima and I did dealer service only through 60k. the "major" service was at 60k and cost like $300. There was a long list of stuff replaced. So overall I was happy and when I got a 2007 BMW, I felt that even though things were free, the entire staff was snooty. I mean I'm a big cheese--I just dropped $44k on a twin turbo BMW, and you treat me worse than Nissan hahahahahahaha who was I really.

But you can only guess what I think of GMC, yet my next planned car is a GM product.

When I got the used Lexus in 2016, I took it to both Lexus, and Toyota, and they both were trying to get services that were not needed. My experience is limited, I can only report back on what I have seen. I don't currently take any car to the dealer, except, I have the BMW inspected at the dealer because they charge less than a garage, and I know they should be lifting my vehicle correctly...

p.s. probably with my experience the times continued to change as did the service level, from 1998, to 2024

It's tough. When times are good people are more willing to shell out money at the dealership, when bad they look for cheaper alternatives. I'd be curious to know what it actually costs to keep a dealership financially viable this day in age.

I took my C43 in for its annual service a month early because I have a couple of longer trips planned and I like a second set of eyes looking it over. The only issue they found was the condition of the front tires- which I expected so I authorized their replacement. Tire life was a bit shorter than I expected (14k miles), but I put some of the wear down to my "enthusiastic" driving style.

A true test for any mechanic shop, be it dealer or independent is repairs IMO.
Ability to perform maintenance items is a pretty low bar.
Agreed. Indies go by reputation. When I went in to have the LCA bushings replaced due to perceived cracking, where dealer stated absolutely needs @ $1700. I bought the OE bushings online for about $160 total, and actually wanted it over and done with because I knew this would be accomplished at $310 plus tax.

While I was waiting for my car, the owner came over and said we don’t think you would see any benefit with the new bushings. There is zero play on them currently. I said, what about the cracking?

Reply: Yes, they exist, but again, no play, and we just wanted to point this out before you spend your money ($150). Of course I can provide many more examples where with indies they often do the right thing. I went forward with the job and no, there was no benefit. But at $310 I’m glad it was done and likely will never need to be done again (it’s been 7.5 years).

I had something similar yesterday. At an oil change place. For the first time since moving from NY 16 years ago I had to get my vehicles inspected yesterday because we now live in NC, last 16 was SC and no inspections.
I had my guard up for sure, even though I was getting the inspection at an oil change place so I wasnt expecting to be convinced of a brake job etc.

Anyway, I had two cars and my motorcycle inspected there yesterday and all passed. No upsell, no oil change, no windshield wipers except one caution on my wife window tinting, it doesnt meet NC standards by a couple percent. She let it go but she said it depends on the person doing the inspection as it falls within discretionary.

BUT, this place was cranking busy, the whole staff, very professional. As I waited in the waiting room other people were getting fluid and filter changes. Very impressive that every oil change they would show the customer the dipstick with the fresh oil and proper level.
For engine and cabin filter changes they would bring in the new filter and the old filter to show them the difference and also offer them the old.
Other times they would come in with the old filter, this one on a huge pick up. The air filter was a bit yellowish but came in the waiting room again with the old and new and told the guy the old is still good and we will wait a while longer.

Ok... now I gotta go outside and change my oil *LOL*
My GM oil monitor was saying to change but I cleared it out yesterday before the inspection as I just dont trust the places .. and used to do my own but now if I ever feel lazy I would go to this place. I actually complimented the guy on his business. Stocky biker type, tattoos etc... great experience. Clean shop too.

Back