Ice storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oklahoma City here, we got blasted good enuff for every1 to see just how stupid of a driver you can be, and I saw waaaaaaaay 2 many today but the person who won was a woman driving up hill with her emergency brake on and spinning the living daylights out of her front tires
lol.gif

I hope she made it home safe.

It's heading our way overnight! By morning I'll be scraping ice off the windows in order to get into the car. Luckily it won't be my Corvette I'm driving though, I borrowed my mom's VW Golf, so my Corvette is safely parked in my parent's garage until the storm passes.

Yup; we got a sheet of ice dumped on us a couple days ago. Luckily it never rose above freezing, so now a few inches of snow (and more coming constantly) is covering it.

Nothing like driving on a sheet of ice with snow to lubricate it!

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
It's heading our way overnight! By morning I'll be scraping ice off the windows in order to get into the car. Luckily it won't be my Corvette I'm driving though, I borrowed my mom's VW Golf, so my Corvette is safely parked in my parent's garage until the storm passes.

Wise move. I can't imagine it being fun in an ice storm. Light car, wide tires, lots of power. No fun...

The ice is coming to michigan too. Its crazy by me because almost all of the day is rush hour on the streets i live near. When the ice comes in, i drive really carefully in my camaro or my moms tahoe. It ****** me off because some people go faster in the snow to show off their 4wd and just endanger those who want to keep it safe. I say its alright to speed on dry cement if you are paying attention, arent goin over 10 over and are in the speed lane but when its snowing, wet outside, no one should be doing any of that crap.

We got to drive though it, freezing rain pellets for about 6 hours. When I tried to scrape the stuff from my windshield I broke my scraper.
spaz.gif

Traveled central Illinois in this mess yesterday (Not looking forward to today's backroads)
Thak goodness for rain-x. Worked great in the freezing rain.

Ice is just not fun stuff. Before I had a house with a garage, I used to walk out in the morning to a car covered in ice. There were times he doors would be frozen. I ended up using a hair dryer to get the door warm enought to open. I then started the car, cranked the heat and went back inside the house. I wasn't about to battle that ice with a mere scraper.
grin.gif

We got mostly snow around here (just north of Detroit). People are actually dealing with it quite well from what I've seen so far. I understand that some of the southern suburbs got the freezing rain, though. I was just in the Upper Peninsula over Christmas and had to drive through freezing rain. What a nightmare, especially on dark roads with minimal lighting.

I did see a guy out in a C6 during the storm right before Christmas. He was stuck on the shoulder in not-very-deep-at-all snow going absolutely nowhere. That's definitely not what you want to be driving in this weather.

Still no power here. The generator has been running now since 2:00PM yesterday with just 2 breaks to refuel.

So far I've used less than 9 gallons of fuel which I don't think is too bad. No oil usage either. I guess the M1 15W-50 + M1 5W-30 mix is doing OK. It still even looked pretty clean when I checked it an hour ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back