Pulled over - odd reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is pulling people over for no reason keeping the community safe?
Sometimes a reason is found after being pulled over.

Smell of weed, junky car, wearing pajamas after 10am...

There are creative ways of keeping the trouble makers out of town.

I've been stopped before for suspicion of DUI. Once I was in a parking lot and just forgot to turn on my lights at night and the cop just swept in an checked me. I didn't quite get to showing registration since the glove box was a mess, but I breathed into him, and he explained that it's pretty common for intoxiated drivers to forget to turn on their lights. Apparently that's all he had and once he didn't smell anything on my breath I was OK to go. I guess he could have cited me for failure to turn on headlamps but that would have been excessive.

The other thing was that it was right next to the border and I was never in his jurisdiction. But he thought it was important enough to cross out to another jurisdiction. I also hadn't left a private parking lot when he stopped me.

As far as alcohol goes, there are some weird things too. I've meet our chief of police at a kinda-sorta block party. It was basically just a couple of tables set up what otherwise would be street parking and several members of our local fire department and police came over to chat. We had alcohol and I asked him if it was legal on the sidewalk or street and he said they considered that a low enforcement priority. As long as nobody was misbehaving or driving while intoxicated, they weren't going to get anyone for something that minor. I think that's saved for people who are being disruptive in some manner.

a safe 60 in a 55.

Doesn't seem to me like a good reason to pull over a citizen when we were not really speeding

A safe 60 in a 55 is speeding, it's above the posted speed LIMIT and that's all they need to pull you over regardless of what his excuse was.
I'm not saying that I don't push a little past the posted limit at times, but I'll never question a cop for pulling me over if I KNOW that I'm exceeding that limit.

I've been stopped before for suspicion of DUI. Once I was in a parking lot and just forgot to turn on my lights at night and the cop just swept in an checked me. I didn't quite get to showing registration since the glove box was a mess, but I breathed into him, and he explained that it's pretty common for intoxiated drivers to forget to turn on their lights.
Happened to me . New Years eve I got called out to work . While I was waiting on my partner to get there I was sitting in my van with the engine running and the parking lights on . When he got there I pulled on out and took off down a very well lit road . I never realized that my headlights were off . I didn't make it 3 blocks before I saw blue lights . He told me to turn my lights on and have a good evening .

Dunno if it's same as in BC, Can-not-dah, but here if one goes over a hill, around a corner etc and cop loses visual even after clocking you over speed limit - no ticket but a verbal warning. I used to date a cop girl, and was there myself... If not for 'losing visual' I think I'd lose ma license and get a VERY high fine doing 100 over speed limit one night, hey allegedly... 🤣

I 2001 my wife and I drove out to Cali to buy a vintage Mercedes. On the way home, just after crossing the Missouri border on I-44, we got pulled over for going 75 in a 70 zone.
The state trooper asked us a couple questions and then asked if he could search our car! Naive boobs that we were, we said OK. the trooper went to his squad and led a German Shepherd out of the back seat.
We had just bought the car, a joint or a pill might have been lodged somewhere. Fortunately the search came up empty.
As we continued through Missouri we saw a similar scenario several times, cars pulled over with LEOs peering in the trunk.
When we got home a co-worker showed us a news report of law enforcement in Missouri seizing money and vehicles, often but not always with drugs. Later, Chicgo newspaper columnist wrote about a Chicago cab driver of western Asian ethnicity driving his hack through Missouri with a fair amount of cash. Police stopped him and seized his money and his means of livelihood.
Missouri had a law at the time that proceeds from civil forfeiture should go into school budgets. So the cops would call in the feds to seize the property, and they would slip it back to the local law enforcement agencies under the table.
Fortunately thte courts are getting wise to this shell game, But recovering property seized under civil forfeiture can still be a long expensive process.

Which states, and what’s the reasoning? If you’re walking down a sidewalk, you wouldn’t need a DL (maybe ID if you’re PI, but not operators license), so why if you’re not carrying would you need to supply a permit? Odd. Seems like a great way to prejudice the interaction against the person being stopped.
I'm not quoting the law or anything, this is just hearsay from my friend. He took a CPL class and was told by the instructors (retired LE apparently) that he has to have the card on him whenever he is driving and hand it over with his license regardless if he is carrying or not.

Is this the law where he lives? Maybe the LE instructors are training everyone to make it easier for the police? Maybe, IDK. I for one wouldn't want to get into an argument with an LE over a CPL card when they are trying to give me a safe driving award on the side of the road. Search my car? I'll decline, but hand a card over? Whatever.

In Virginia there is no legal requirement to present your permit or even to inform LE that you are carrying unless they ask. Still it is a courteous thing to do when carrying, and I have.

Ive been pulled over before for doing a "slight random weave" but didnt leave the lane at all.

I was like my take out dinner had fallen and I reached over to pick it up (and it was true)...and I held it up to show the officer. Hes like are you on drugs? I was like even if I could afford drugs I wouldnt take any. And he left me with a "warning".

He was definitely fishing

In Virginia there is no legal requirement to present your permit or even to inform LE that you are carrying unless they ask. Still it is a courteous thing to do when carrying, and I have.
Screw courtesy. You are a presumably a law abiding citizen with no wish to bring harm to them. If you tell them that you've got a gun (please, never do so in so many words), then it can scare them and they're MUCH more likely to be more invasive than necessary. That right there can very easily escalate the stop to making you get out, having them search and disarm you and if you're especially unlucky, they may end up flagging you with your own weapon (because in spite of carrying guns for a living, not all cops are really proficient and safe with them, or have become too comfortable with them), then telling you what you can and cannot do with your own property after they give it back to you. The less awkward handling of a firearm, the better - it's perfectly safe in a holster, glovebox and so on, so just leave it there. All this in spite of the fact that CCW/CPL/ect holders are less likely to commit crimes than other folks. Also in spite of the fact that on any stop, they're going to treat you as if you're armed and guard themselves anyway. If there is an actual reason for pulling you out of the car, then they'll address that potential as needed.

Edit: that is not to say that you shouldn't be courteous and professional during any interaction with a leo.

Also not suggesting that anyone in a "duty to inform" state not follow the law

Last edited:
I'm not quoting the law or anything, this is just hearsay from my friend. He took a CPL class and was told by the instructors (retired LE apparently) that he has to have the card on him whenever he is driving and hand it over with his license regardless if he is carrying or not.

Is this the law where he lives? Maybe the LE instructors are training everyone to make it easier for the police? Maybe, IDK. I for one wouldn't want to get into an argument with an LE over a CPL card when they are trying to give me a safe driving award on the side of the road. Search my car? I'll decline, but hand a card over? Whatever.
In Louisiana the law states a permittee armed with a handgun shall notify ... NOTHING about notifying when you are not armed .

That's when you say "I invoke my right to remain silent officer".
The small chit chat is to try and establish a probable cause, you got lucky the officer didn't hear a trigger word out of you or your wife.
If you have something to hide I guess.

If you have something to hide I guess.
There plenty of examples of people who were cooperative and had "nothing to hide" who have ended up in cuffs or stripped of their money/possessions. Cops are not there to be your friends or advocates. They are there to look for and assign criminality no matter who they meet. And frankly it discusts me when law abiding folks are treated with an extra level of suspicion or are treated differently because they don't cooperate even though their cooperation is not expressly required by law.

Which states, and what’s the reasoning? If you’re walking down a sidewalk, you wouldn’t need a DL (maybe ID if you’re PI, but not operators license), so why if you’re not carrying would you need to supply a permit? Odd. Seems like a great way to prejudice the interaction against the person being stopped.
NC is one of them

So the wife and I are cruising on home after a night of dinner, drinking, and dancing at our local roadhouse. Mrs lead-foot is at the wheel of her little Mitsubishi Eclipse five speed V6, but after her last ticket (#5) she finally took a lesson from me and was using cruise control, a safe 60 in a 55. We live just five minutes out of our little mountain town, and about half way home I spot a deer on the side of the road, very common in these parts, and where there is one there is usually more so I call out DEER and the lady punches the brakes. About the same time I catch a glimpse of a sheriff's car, lights out on the side of the road, but pay it no mind as we were not really speeding. A couple of minutes later we notice the car behind us has his high beams on, and again pay it no mind, until he lights us up with his blue & reds.

The deputy comes to the passenger side and I lower my window. Young guy with a 4" red beard (hey, this is Appalachia), and he couldn't be more polite. Wife passed her creds, minus her concealed carry permit as we weren't carrying since we were drinking. He says the reason he pulled us over was because he saw on his radar that we slowed by 10 mph when we approached him, and that usually means the driver has something to hide. Really? We of course said, in unison, that we saw a deer, which he understood. After chatting for a couple of minutes he was satisfied that we were not under the influence and wished us well.

Doesn't seem to me like a good reason to pull over a citizen when we were not really speeding or weaving. Is this a common practice for the law?
I would say dont drink and drive, other than that, I would say he was fishing. Cops being cops.

NC is one of them
Nope, statute says only if a weapon is being carried on person or transported within the vehicle:
1706569102701.png

Nope, statute says only if a weapon is being carried on person or transported within the vehicle:
View attachment 200783
Thanks, Right, "shall disclose".

In NC, you have to disclose to the officer that you have a CHP, and you are armed or not armed. I thought the CHP class ("NC laws on handguns and the use of deadly force" as it is actually called) for several years. In short, you have to disclose that you are a permit holder, whether you have a gun or not. If you have a gun, it must be disclosed. This question was on the "final exam" of the CHP test example. If you are a NC resident, they know the very moment they run your tags, which makes it even dumber.

Some of the laws are loosely defined, such as your example using the word "weapon". In NC, a distinction is made like some other states between a weapon and a handgun, which is why in NC the permit is called a "concealed handgun permit" in contrast to "weapon permit"

Further, you cannot carry a long gun or AOW in a concealed position at all, unless it is in a container, and out of the immediate access to occupants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back