I saw the movie Top Gun Maverick today. My review

This one will be on the shorter side.

The very short version: Go see it. There is a reason it is 95% audience and 98% critics review. It is a good movie.

A little more in depth: I would like to first thank Tom Cruise. Much like the Rocky 4 re-release November 2021 which I also saw.. it contained a personal Thank You message from Mr. Cruise, thanking the Navy and all of us. And wishing us to enjoy the film.

And enjoy, I did. It is a very LIGHTWEIGHT MOVIE, but it is very good.

Quick takes:

1. Jennifer Connely looks the same as she did in The Labyrinth. Amazing. And she drives a 70s or 80s Porsche. Kind of hot.

2. Jon Hamm is the hardest part to swallow for me. If one person was mis-cast, I would say it is him. Something just seems a little off about the guy. But that is just me.

3. It seemed a little bit hokey and cheesy to me, at times, but overall.. the star of Rainman and Jerry Maguire has been kept in a cryogenic chamber, as he too looks exactly the same.. mostly.

As we all know, this movie, the scenes were filmed under G and it was overall really well done, it is a movie and not real life but. It's a great Father's Day film.

9.5 out of 10 for me. Theater was dead quiet, out of respect. If only every movie experience was so proper.

Bravo. Bravo.

I saw it on IMAX at the Tuesday matinee. The story line is very cheesy, unimaginative, and quite the stretch. Entertaining non-the-less. That they did most of the flight scenes real, not computerized , is awesome. Check out the YouTube videos about how it was filmed. Cruise has an advanced pilots license and flew his P51 Mustang at the end of the movie.

This is a hoot (fast forward to flight scenes):

Last edited:
My wife and I seen the movie and were very impressed. We go to a lot of movies and would rate this show at 95% too. I thought the bar seen was a little boring at the first part of the movie. Other than that there were a couple parts that were very fake and would be almost impossible to come out of alive. Most movies are fake and the fast action is usually almost unbelievable it it were for real. I highly recommend the movie compared to most of the trash that is on the big screen.

Mary and I saw the new Top Gun on IMAX and afterwards we were refunded half
of our seat price because we only used the edge of it...

Tom can I fly your P51???
topgun1-jpg.102354

My wife and I seen the movie and were very impressed. We go to a lot of movies and would rate this show at 95% too. I thought the bar seen was a little boring at the first part of the movie. Other than that there were a couple parts that were very fake and would be almost impossible to come out of alive. Most movies are fake and the fast action is usually almost unbelievable it it were for real. I highly recommend the movie compared to most of the trash that is on the big screen.

A large part of the movie was "boring" I agree, for sure. But the execution was pretty good.

Good word.

Yep, it was a bit contrived.. there was one part I thought things were gonna go a different way. Two, maybe.. still though.

I dont even go to movies anymore because most of the time I could have saved my $10..

I just got back from it as well.

It’s basically the same movie as the first, but man is it entertaining stuff. It was a lot funnier and more emotional than I expected it to be. Very cool to see them incorporate an F-14 back into the film as well. I also thought the first half was a little slow.

Top Gun has always been very nostalgic for me. My grandmother lived across the street when I was a kid and I used to go over there daily and watch it, for months on end. I’m not afraid to admit I actually got teary eyed in the opening credits with the theme song playing.

All in all 95% from me too.

Watched it last week and I loved it. Very patriotic and I can see Naval recruitment going up after this movie. 😁

I just got back from it as well.

It’s basically the same movie as the first, but man is it entertaining stuff. It was a lot funnier and more emotional than I expected it to be. Very cool to see them incorporate an F-14 back into the film as well. I also thought the first half was a little slow.

Top Gun has always been very nostalgic for me. My grandmother lived across the street when I was a kid and I used to go over there daily and watch it, for months on end. I’m not afraid to admit I actually got teary eyed in the opening credits with the theme song playing.

All in all 95% from me too.

I made the same statement to myself.. "The second half of the movie was better than the first."

Had the same sappy overtone as an episode of The Gilmore Girls. But better...

I'm due to see it again with The Dad, definitely less hard-hitting than I thought it would be, and aside from what I thought was some un-realism of the "5th gen fighters" from some unnamed country AND that the 12 candidates we were introduced with, only some of them were ever going to be in play, the movie was basically predictable with again a time or two I thought it was going to go another way... I didnt even see the first, but, I dont need to.

And most movies where I have to say "The second half was better than the first" have been total bombs... THIS one, pulled it off. The REALISM was there, but not in terms of scenarios that could NEVER happen, but all in the execution... if that makes sense...

It's not any kind of hard-hitting lesson in military parlance and it is about as realistic as The Rock (Ed Harris! Hey.) But its amazing.

I can't say what parts I liked the most because I want people to go see the film. There were a few.

Also, yes, incorporating an F-14 into the movie... priceless.

I thought it was really good. Worth waiting through the 27 minutes of trailers before - none of which I want to see.

It got me back into a theater, which it probably did for many. Sat in the theater with the leather recliners, which make for a comfortable experience. I might go back some day.

The flying scenes were quite well done. Nothing that looked obviously like CGI, which has been a problem over the past 30 years. Even the fake prototype plane looked better than most attempts to make aviation movies over the past 3 decades. If you stick around, in the credits they acknowledge that they actually worked with Lockheed to create the fictional plane.

The flying scenes were quite well done. Nothing that looked obviously like CGI, which has been a problem over the past 30 years. Even the fake prototype plane looked better than most attempts to make aviation movies over the past 3 decades. If you stick around, in the credits they acknowledge that they actually worked with Lockheed to create the fictional plane.
Every scene with an F/A-18 had a real airplane in it.

Sometimes a CGI plane was added with the real plane but every one had a real F/A-18 flying that low and fast.

Back