I saw the movie Top Gun Maverick today. My review

She drives a 1973 911 S.. i owned a 1972. Its a great car, she is an amazing woman. ❤️
Jennifer Connelly has better an amazing actress since this movie... There is one specific scene in this movie that was literally filmed down the street from my high school in Upper Nyack New York.

download (2).jpeg

That Porsche was definitely air cooled then...

That's a shame. Not because I don't think it can't be an entertaining movie but because it puts to bed a theory that I liked. The theory was that Maverick, test-flying the Darkstar, actually perishes when the craft disintegrates or after ejecting at Mach 10, presumably in an ejectable capsule. A very unlikely event for anyone to survive. The theory said that everything from the moment Maverick walks into a small desert restaurant all the way to the ending is his mind coming to terms with the relationships in his life through a dreamlike but coherent sequence during the last few seconds of his life. I like this theory because it gives a fitting ending to the character while giving the character peace of mind. Just to clarify, none of the people involved with the movie has endorsed this theory. After the pile of money the movie made it's obviously no surprise they will make another one.

Some people have repeated what was said in the media about the "minimal use of CGI" in this movie. That is extremely misleading. While all the jet fighter scenes were filmed with jet fighters, almost every shot showing a fighter or multiple aircraft was digitally redone. They often reskinned one type of plane for another. When you see multiple planes they are usually composited into the shot. Almost all action shots involving planes were heavily edited and composited with CGI. It's just done very well. The movie has a total of over 2,400 special effects at a runtime of 2 hours and 11 minutes. You can look it up on YouTube

"NO CGI" is really just INVISIBLE CGI (1/4)"​

Go To 2:10 because there it's specifically about Maverick. You will have to find the videos yourself because I can't be bothered anymore to post andy kind of link. By the way, I'm not ragging on CGI. Like traditional effects, they are a tool. But misrepresenting the pervasive use of CGI as minimal just because people clamor for "real" is dishonest. The definition of "real" is not even straddling a line anymore.

Back