My review of the movie Ambulance

For me? It is Two thumbs up! Way up! I will try to be brief, but thorough.

Me, personally? I really liked this movie.

tl;dr = It is basically The Taking of Pelham 123 meets Heat but better than at least one of them. I may be one of the only people in the world that did not like the movie Heat and realize that movie is now 27 years old.. Age and my opinion of that film aside, if you enjoyed the movie Heat, this movie is easily on that level, and the plot even more intricate . This movie Ambulance was Outstanding! Quick Googling put it at audience score of about 66% or so, reviews in the 6s out of 10.. again, I disagree. Here are some reasons why, mixed with my review of the film:

One sentence version, this is what you go to the movies for. To be entertained! Longer: Slightly implausible series of events, sure. Much like the movie with the train that can't be stopped, etc. However.. Jake Gyllenhaal is as electric as Ryan Gosling in The Place Beyond The Pines as to acting Performance. There is minimal fluff, very minimal. The police are VERY excellently represented; the criminal elements are represented at ugly as they are IRL, the callousness and disregard for human life. There is a big score. Of course, there is an.. Ambulance. There are hostages... Not to give the film away, but, you really just have to see.

There is humor. Not over the top, most of not all of it not stupid and very well done. There is exactly one scene that caters to those of an alternate lifestyle, and it is very lightweight, so it is almost masterful as to how many viewing demographics are represented. There is a character or two that is vaguely Michelle Rodriguez in The Fast And the Furious later movie, or her gritty style in general, in there, played to perfection, better than that actress. The acting was really good in this film.

There is minimal filler in the movie, again, almost none. This is easily, without question, Michael Bay's best film. He has made some disappointments. This one is an epic, towering masterpiece.

Jake Gyllenhaal has evolved from even the movie Southpaw which, his acting, even great in that sub-par film (weak plot but strong story, kind of) has improved to another level.

The LAPD cop is fit, in shape, determined, again, law enforcement is well represented.

You get to know every character, and may be upset by what happens to some of them. Like Apollo Creed in Rocky 4 level good and emotional.

I highly recommend this film, and have tried to not give any spoilers.

EMTs and first responders are well represented, too.

Again, the movie is obviously. Fiction. Some people need this pointed out, yes. But it is oh so good.

Submitted!

So, if you go check it out, please do add, and share.. hopefully, you can say if you agree and disagree with my assessment, without turning this into a re-hash of different aspects of why I like and don't like other movies, which we have done i have other threads. This movie was great. Best one I have seen in years. As per usual, movies with "bad reviews" tend to be the best... like Opposite Day. Generally.

Submitted!

I saw the original Norwegian (or whatever it was) version of this on a plane many years ago, it was pretty good. Always like Jake Gyllenhaal and the reviews have been solid so might have to check it out.

jeff

I saw the original Norwegian (or whatever it was) version of this on a plane many years ago, it was pretty good. Always like Jake Gyllenhaal and the reviews have been solid so might have to check it out.

jeff
I am interested to hear what you think.

These reviews are WRONG. And I would not be surprised if it is because the film has a positive depiction of police...

Quick Googling put it at audience score of about 66% or so, reviews in the 6s out of 10.. again, I disagree.

Opinion: This movie deserves a score of 92% or better.

You will NEVER know it is Michael Bay.
Screenshot_20220410-090951_Chrome.jpg

Can't remember the last decade I sat in a theatre but I'll remember to watch it on my own big screen.

Thanks for the review, you're obviously passionate about movies. (y)

Last movie I saw in at an AMC and bought a $15 bucket of popcorn, $6 soda was Orange County with Jack Black.

Ambulance looks like a good movie from trailer.

Last edited:
I’ll watch it when it’s on HBO or Showtime. Looks entertaining.
Some people say it is on Netflix. I'm not so sure.. ??

Cost me $7.39.

It's Heat (board favorite.. ehh) meets The Taking of Pelham 123 meets Swordfish (bad movie?) meets The Town meets Collateral meets.. more will come to me.. man you just gotta see it.

Some people say it is on Netflix. I'm not so sure.. ??

Cost me $7.39.

It's Heat (board favorite.. ehh) meets The Taking of Pelham 123 meets Swordfish (bad movie?) meets The Town meets Collateral meets.. more will come to me.. man you just gotta see it.

Looks like it’s not streaming anywhere yet. It will go to Peacock in 45 days, which I don’t have.

I’m spoiled by my home theater setup : 120” screen, Dolby Atmos, cheap snacks and booze and nobody that will try to fight me if I tell ‘em to shut up! I can’t remember the last movie I went to at a theater.

The NCAA tournament had the same commercials played many many times. The one for Ambulance was often followed by this one:
So now there's a restaurant for Michael Bay fans.

The NCAA tournament had the same commercials played many many times. The one for Ambulance was often followed by this one:
So now there's a restaurant for Michael Bay fans.
I really don't understand this post.

Back