I quit diet soda after decades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I love the taste of aspartame, but full-well realize it probably isn't a great thing to intake.

I hate the taste of aspartame, and wish we saw saccharine based diet pop again. Back in the day, I'd actually drink Tab because it tasted good, and even other diet products. Now, I avoid them as much as is possible.

I quit myself years ago as well.

Good job!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: raytseng

Diet soda still is acidic and can damage enamel even if it doesn't have sugar.
Especially if it is the go-to beverage and basically on the teeth all the time and not just an occasional treat that gets rinsed with water.

Ever check the acidity of fruit juice? Even Crystal Light is acidic (yes, I checked).

Yes that's true. A lot of drinks (and food) are acidic, even items considered healthy or natural or good for you nutritionally. Like an orange. It's more of you shouldn't have your teeth just in acidic food/drink continuously if you want to protect your teeth.
Of course everyone is different, like a guy who smokes a pack a day and still is 95years old. If you're lucky enough to have really solid chompers have at it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I love the taste of aspartame, but full-well realize it probably isn't a great thing to intake.

I hate the taste of aspartame, and wish we saw saccharine based diet pop again. Back in the day, I'd actually drink Tab because it tasted good, and even other diet products. Now, I avoid them as much as is possible.

I like saccharin sweetened things more than sucralose or aspartame too. I'm not sure why it's so unpopular.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I drink a ton of diet soda, two years ago I quit for a couple months. After some research I found no conclusive evidence that artificial sweeteners were harmful and figured why was I denying myself something that I enjoy?

I drink a lot. Water, coffee, diet soda, red wine and beer. Life is good!

One guy i know said he used to do some sort of paper recycling for a living. In the office when he was picking up paperwork one day, he asked the lady behind the desk what was up with the random boxes (stivia,truvia or some other nasty thing like that). She said they stored documents that they did not want to get ruined by pests. She said there were bugs everywhere, but inside those boxes. It was enough for him to ditch the sweetener train.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
She said they stored documents that they did not want to get ruined by pests. She said there were bugs everywhere, but inside those boxes. It was enough for him to ditch the sweetener train.

Well there's some scientific reasoning rolling around his empty head.

I stopped drinking diet soda a year ago and havent looked back.Bad bad stuff.Water or ice tea for me .No sugar wanted or needed.

Originally Posted By: CT Rob
I stopped drinking diet soda a year ago and havent looked back.Bad bad stuff.Water or ice tea for me .No sugar wanted or needed.

Nothing personal at all....but can you explain why you think it's "bad stuff"?

Originally Posted By: horse123
I like saccharin sweetened things more than sucralose or aspartame too. I'm not sure why it's so unpopular.

That's what happens when fear mongering gets ahead of the science of the matter, plus various bureaucrats who would never want to admit they were wrong, and simply let it remain in the wilderness because it's good enough to keep it there if enough people have "bad memories" of it.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

It's nothing but a can or bottle full of chemicals.Read the ingredients and tell me if you would pour any one of them in a glass and drink it?I doubt it.

It's nothing but a can or bottle full of chemicals.Read the ingredients and tell me if you would pour any one of them in a glass and drink it?I doubt it.

Many of the ingredients you call simply "chemicals"....are a part of everything we eat. And that includes the so-called "natural" stuff. All foods are made up of chemicals. Chemicals ARE nature. The question arises where these concentrations of chemicals can cause us harm. Reading ingredient lists, that are hard to pronounce, doesn't automatically mean something is "bad" for us. Vitamins and minerals base elements are also hard to pronounce. Would I drink an entire 12 ounces of pure aspartame? No...but in small quantities it causes no harm. Many vitamins, if taken in large quantities, can kill you eventually. Nobody seems overly concerned about that when we have all kinds of people gorging themselves on them. We are "supplement" crazy. Many of the substances have not even had long term testing done....yet we are all worked up over diet soda?

Like I said...40 years of drinking it for me and I have zero negative health effects from it. If I would have drank the sugary sodas I'd probably have been obese by now or dead.

I just wanted to know if you had ANY substantial evidence that diet soda is harmful in any real world way?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: horse123

That's what happens when fear mongering gets ahead of the science of the matter, plus various bureaucrats who would never want to admit they were wrong, and simply let it remain in the wilderness because it's good enough to keep it there if enough people have "bad memories" of it.

Yep...that's what I think. Same thing happened with armchair science and reactions not backed up with real proof when it came to DDT. Since "Silent Spring" was published and DDT disappeared, disease flourished.

So we will assume you only eat fresh fruits, meats and vegetables and never eat any processed foods.

Last edited:

Many of the ingredients you call simply "chemicals"....are a part of everything we eat. And that includes the so-called "natural" stuff. All foods are made up of chemicals. Chemicals ARE nature. The question arises where these concentrations of chemicals can cause us harm. Reading ingredient lists, that are hard to pronounce, doesn't automatically mean something is "bad" for us. Vitamins and minerals base elements are also hard to pronounce. Would I drink an entire 12 ounces of pure aspartame? No...but in small quantities it causes no harm. Many vitamins, if taken in large quantities, can kill you eventually. Nobody seems overly concerned about that when we have all kinds of people gorging themselves on them. We are "supplement" crazy. Many of the substances have not even had long term testing done....yet we are all worked up over diet soda?

Like I said...40 years of drinking it for me and I have zero negative health effects from it. If I would have drank the sugary sodas I'd probably have been obese by now or dead.

I just wanted to know if you had ANY substantial evidence that diet soda is harmful in any real world way?

Yep. Here's a good video on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhhCi7nMFI

You know that last banana you ate? Probably figured it was healthy if a little excessively sweet. Has 10x the chemicals of any soda ever. And I'd bet many of them are toxic in high concentrations, unlike most of the ingredients in coke.

I have been lucky in my life that foods and drink that are not great for you make me feel awful. I can drink a glass of beer or wine. I only drink soda on airplanes as it makes me feel better and in nice quantity of that tiny plastic cup.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Cadenza
You've just accomplished one of the most significant things you could do to improve your health. Congratulations!

Really!

We all should smoke a couple of packs of cigs each day while pounding 2 or 3 six packs without any exercise. No health concerns at all since as long as we stay away from the diet soda.

That's what you took away from what he said? You missed the point entirely.

He said it was "one of the most significant things". Not sure what you took from it. There are many, many different things that are bad for you. The poster implied artificial sugar is at or near the top of those things. I disagree, maybe it is not too good, but it is not as high on the list as that poster suggested.

Diet pepsi was just too addictive and i am not talking about the caffine in this case. There is some other ingredient.
I drank diet pepsi for about 30 years 6 to 12 cans a day. From earlyyyy morning to 4pm. Tried to quit but everytime i tried the next day i would not be able to see straight and my what a headache.
smile.gif

Then pepsi switched the sweetner. Just did not like the new sweet taste. So switched to diet coke. Yes 6 to 12 cans a day. Diet coke has more caffine but if i dont drink it one day the withdrawls are far less.

So why did diet pepsi have such strong withdrawl symptoms i have never figured out.

I was recently at an event that had two kinds of diet Pepsi. The difference being the gold can had no caffeine. So I picked up a can of that and thought it tasted pretty good. Better than Diet Coke. I like both and only have them when they're free and in front of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back