I quit diet soda after decades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut soft drinks with seltzers or water. I've lost my sweet tooth as I aged. I started drinking black coffee about 25 yrs ago. I'm up to about 40 oz a day and counting. The Kurig at work gives a decent cup free. And when I stop by to see the grandsons, I get a cup. I find that drinking black coffee greatly simplifies the process.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Who is going to do the double blind studies on 10,000 people over a period of 10-40 years? It just isn't going to happen. Most studies are flawed right from the start. And the few that are worth something, are immediately reversed by some bogus study coming out a couple months or years later. You pick almost any study, and there's always another one to refute it. It's a mad house.

Frankly, you can keep the diet soda (unnatural chemical concoction that your body doesn't recognize or need) and the sugary drinks as well. While there's very few studies that show which specific foods could increase your risk of diseases, the fact that there isn't a current study to prove they aren't safe means nothing. Eat and drink what your body was designed to have. Diet and sugared sodas aren't one of them. I canned all soda's and cow's milk about 8 years ago. Only water, green tea, and freshly squeezed juices for me on a daily basis.

Believe it or not, there are actually long term studies in process where it's possible to mine that data. They haven't been created specifically to study diet sodas, but there are heart studies that have been going on for decades in various countries. All they have to do is screen out the ones that drank diet or other sodas and those that didn't.

Also your logic is very faulty. You have some built in bias that only certain things can be healthy. If you're a real scientist, you go with what the data shows. There have been numerous studies of artificial sweeteners which have shown that they are safe. There's lots of pressure to find out otherwise, but to date there hasn't been any. The reasoning mind draws their own conclusion and tries to exclude their own bias. The unreasoning mind may find it intolerable that the world doesn't conform to their own world view.

No science involved in many on here saying that diet soda is harmful. Like I stated....not trying to be a jerk....but 35 to 40 years drinking it and I have no issues traced to the beverage.

How can so many on here say it is about the most dangerous or evil stuff to put into your body if, after nearly 40 years, I'm fine from drinking it??

I'd like to see proof in the form of science. Not the BIG holistic groups that claim just about everything is bad....REAL science.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: horse123
Thank you, I was about to look up studies to prove these gluten free ebola hippies wrong.

[off-topic]
horse123,
there is a small part of the gluten free community which is not in a diet fad faze.
just search celiac disease/coeliac/wheat sprue
they are in a gluten is poison for my body and the medical community think of us as cuckoo birds faze (so you have people un-diagnozed for years).
and the hippies dieting trend don't tend to help either.
just think of any nut allergies... are we treating this seriously now? or over-responding?
[/off-topic]

I was referring to the gluten free ebola episode of south park making fun of moronic diet fads.

I was referring to the gluten free ebola episode of south park making fun of moronic diet fads.

sorry, it hit close to home. my humor sense got twisted sometimes.
thanks for being a sport. we still need to laugh no matter what...i should know better...

I drink a ton of diet soda, two years ago I quit for a couple months. After some research I found no conclusive evidence that artificial sweeteners were harmful and figured why was I denying myself something that I enjoy?

I drink a lot. Water, coffee, diet soda, red wine and beer. Life is good!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I drink a ton of diet soda, two years ago I quit for a couple months. After some research I found no conclusive evidence that artificial sweeteners were harmful and figured why was I denying myself something that I enjoy?

I drink a lot. Water, coffee, diet soda, red wine and beer. Life is good!

Good for you! Some folks don't let logic get in the way though. They think because some goof-ball hack sounds the alarm, it's time to jump on the bandwagon.

Now if it turns out through REAL scientific research that diet pop is dangerous (contrary to the millions of drinkers not suffering in the slightest)....I'll cease.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Diet soda still is acidic and can damage enamel even if it doesn't have sugar.
Especially if it is the go-to beverage and basically on the teeth all the time and not just an occasional treat that gets rinsed with water.

Ever check the acidity of fruit juice? Even Crystal Light is acidic (yes, I checked).

Originally Posted By: panthermike
People strongly affected by mass hysteria are the reason news outlets write their ridiculous stories about how artifical sweeteners cause cancer or fast food causes hunger/diabetes/braincancerherpesaids

If any of that is true, it's because you had an allergic reaction. Not because the artificial sweetener or any other ingredient is such a horrible thing.

I would disagree on that point, cancer/chronic disease is not an allergic reaction. Artificial sweeteners are ABSOLUTELY horrible and can cause a variety of issues.

Stelth, good for you! Tough habit to kick.

You are entirely wrong. There are no artificial sweeteners being used in the US today that are dangerous in any way. Any links to cancer or any other disease are tests done on rats with 500x a normal dose. It's like saying eating 5 pounds of salt will kill you. Well no [censored], does that mean it's dangerous at all for you in even remotely reasonable quantities? No.

Stop spreading misinformation, people like you are ruining the country for people who had self control from the beginning. Banning trans fats and trying to ban added sugar. Maybe people who have no self control deserve to die from it. The rest of us happily consume these things as a snack once in a while and are probably healthier than the rest of you.

Wow, a little over the top statement. I have an opinion on something and I'm "ruining the country".

I would disagree on that point, cancer/chronic disease is not an allergic reaction. Artificial sweeteners are ABSOLUTELY horrible and can cause a variety of issues.

Wow, a little over the top statement. I have an opinion on something and I'm "ruining the country".

Maybe a little, but so was your statement. There's no links to cancer/chronic disease from artificial sweeteners. No one has as yet named a single study. It's just mass hysteria which you are a part of. You were a little over the top and you were wrong to make that original statement. It's in the same category as people who claim the earth is flat, no scientific evidence to back it up. It's actually worse because it sounds plausible, but it's not true. Look up the placebo effect.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Maybe a little, but so was your statement. There's no links to cancer/chronic disease from artificial sweeteners. No one has as yet named a single study. It's just mass hysteria which you are a part of. You were a little over the top and you were wrong to make that original statement. It's in the same category as people who claim the earth is flat, no scientific evidence to back it up. It's actually worse because it sounds plausible, but it's not true. Look up the placebo effect.

There are always studies on both sides of any argument, always. Just as I can provide studies that there are risks, other studies find that there are zero ill effects of artificial sweetener consumption. I'm a firm believer in reading as much as you can and making your own judgment. I don't judge anyone who chooses to do anything they enjoy. Same category as the earth is flat? That's a bit of a stretch.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-09/wios-gba091514.php

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772345/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951976/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25317478

Artificial and real sugar:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/01/30/ajcn.112.050997.abstract

There are always studies on both sides of any argument, always. Just as I can provide studies that there are risks, other studies find that there are zero ill effects of artificial sweetener consumption. I'm a firm believer in reading as much as you can and making your own judgment. I don't judge anyone who chooses to do anything they enjoy. Same category as the earth is flat? That's a bit of a stretch.

Those are very weak and not well known studies. Also most of them just refer to obesity and diabetes and are small studies of questionable conclusions. The cancer one is the weakest one. The real basis of the scientific method is repeatable, reproducible results.

Also going from Cancer/chronic disease and artificial sweeteners being horrible, those articles don't really support that. It's actually quite a stretch. You're pretty far from tobacco causes cancer, asbestos causes cancer. Court cases filled with people suing the manufacturer. Very far away...

With Diet Pepsi recently switching from Aspertame to Sucralose, my thinking brain comes to the conclusion that there must be some known issue with ingesting moderate to large amounts of Aspertame. As far as I know, Aspartame is still cheaper than Sucralose so my theory is that Pepsico is more afraid of future litigation than they are of dropping a little in their profit margin.

I quit diet sodas around 4 years ago, and within a month my chronic migraines disappeared. Maybe that was a coincidence, maybe not. I don't think my life became any more care free, as since then I've had two more children! I do know one thing through my research - when the human body digests Aspartame, two of the byproducts are methanol and formaldehyde. Both are poisonous to a living human.

Those are very weak and not well known studies. Also most of them just refer to obesity and diabetes and are small studies of questionable conclusions. The cancer one is the weakest one. The real basis of the scientific method is repeatable, reproducible results.

Also going from Cancer/chronic disease and artificial sweeteners being horrible, those articles don't really support that. It's actually quite a stretch. You're pretty far from tobacco causes cancer, asbestos causes cancer. Court cases filled with people suing the manufacturer. Very far away...

In no way have I personally stated that artificial sweeteners cause cancer or that they are similar to cigarettes/asbestos,etc. I'm just showing you there are studies out there, even if you feel they are "weak".

In no way have I personally stated that artificial sweeteners cause cancer or that they are similar to cigarettes/asbestos,etc. I'm just showing you there are studies out there, even if you feel they are "weak".

I believe I am quoting you correcting when you contradicted someone and made that first statement. Which is a statement that artificial sweeteners cause cancer/chronic disease and was not just an allergic reaction.

I believe I am quoting you correcting when you contradicted someone and made that first statement. Which is a statement that artificial sweeteners cause cancer/chronic disease and was not just an allergic reaction.

No, two different things. I was saying cancer/chronic disease is not an allergic reaction as a response to a previous post. Not inferring that artificial sweeteners cause cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back