I quit diet soda after decades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly avoid refined sugars in foods and drinks, and I figured, well, I don't drink or smoke, diet sodas are probably OK as a vice. I guess not, at least in my case. About two months ago, I decided that I should try giving up sodas all together. The difference has been profound. I had been getting some jock-itch like rashes, mostly on my inner thighs rather than right around the naughty bits, and I had a sneaking suspicion that diet soda could have something to do with it. Bingo. No more rashes. Not only that, but my mood has become more stable. I wasn't really having giant mood swings or anything, but some of the small variations have leveled out.

My coffee consumption has increased slightly, but since it had been tapering off somewhat over the last few years anyway, I'm not too worried about that. I still don't drink as much coffee as I did 30 years ago.

No more diet sodas for me, though, that's for sure.

You've just accomplished one of the most significant things you could do to improve your health. Congratulations!

Congratulations. Soda pop of any sort is nasty stuff, but diet soda is the worst of the worst.

My former (now retired) dentist had a series of photos in his office of people who had what dentists call "pop mouth". He once said he could spot a pop drinker as soon as they opened their mouths, no matter how well they tried to take care of their teeth. He also said that people who started drinking pop when they were young would often end up developing oral issues similar to meth users.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
He also said that people who started drinking pop when they were young would often end up developing oral issues similar to meth users.

crazy2.gif

I would agree. I have a close friend from HS. He's Asian, hard working (very well off) and in about his early 30's, started to have his teeth randomly chip away. Just chunks of them would break off at random. He swears he brushes and flosses regularly (and I agree). He keeps himself in good shape (no smoking, no drinking, and works out regularly too).

Congratulations. Soda pop of any sort is nasty stuff, but diet soda is the worst of the worst.

My former (now retired) dentist had a series of photos in his office of people who had what dentists call "pop mouth". He once said he could spot a pop drinker as soon as they opened their mouths, no matter how well they tried to take care of their teeth. He also said that people who started drinking pop when they were young would often end up developing oral issues similar to meth users.

I've been drinking diet pop for 35 years. No teeth problems or health issues related to the pop that I am aware of.

Not trying to be a jerk...just wondering why diet pop is so bad?

If you have any minor joint pain that isn't from arthritis or actual joint issues, I bet that will go away too after a few more days!

If I drink the stuff my knees and fingers hurt.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I've been drinking diet pop for 35 years. No teeth problems or health issues related to the pop that I am aware of.

Diet soda still is acidic and can damage enamel even if it doesn't have sugar.
Especially if it is the go-to beverage and basically on the teeth all the time and not just an occasional treat that gets rinsed with water. The coloring can also cause stains

I'm nearly 40 years old and I've been drinking pop since I was a baby. Coca-Cola and Pepsi are my favorites. Historically I've always had at least two cans a day my entire life and I have zero cavities and On a diopter machine my teeth are all rated low single digits which indicates they are very hard with no signs of any decay. My wife also has zero cavities and she has drink pop her entire life too. With all that said it probably is not a very good thing to be drinking and we have cut way back this year. We are both extremely active and hard workers so we don't have any weight issues from having too much sugar in our diets. I wish I could give it up completely but it just taste so good and I love the crisp bubbly feeling in my mouth!

Most people are constantly sipping on a soda. It's that constant washing of the teeth in that stuff that does the damage to the teeth.

I don't drink a lot of pop, but when I do, it's almost never Diet. I find the after taste to be poor (probably the chemical sweetener) and I find myself actually thirstier after I do drink it. I've trained myself to drink a lot more water and unsweetened iced tea, and even other sugary drinks as long as they're natural (like lemonade we make at home or some of the naturally-flavored and -sweetened pops). The only "bad" pop I drink is root beer -- but it's usually in a mug half-filled with vanilla ice cream, so that makes it better, right?

After years of drinking diet cola, I successfully kicked it in the last year. Now I need to do something about the sweet tea I drink in its place.
wink.gif

People strongly affected by mass hysteria are the reason news outlets write their ridiculous stories about how artifical sweeteners cause cancer or fast food causes hunger/diabetes/braincancerherpesaids

If any of that is true, it's because you had an allergic reaction. Not because the artificial sweetener or any other ingredient is such a horrible thing.

Fine...some news outlet (no respect for their product) reported that there were compounds in diet sodas which effect the bones by "threaded fastener"ing up blood chemistry.

My friend with weakened bones stopped drinking the stuff instantly. It's garbage anyway. Grow up and drink water...."Adam's Ale"....what God drinks....what Aphrodite bathes in.....good enough to make beer out of (what else do you want?).

[off-topic]
i helped a friend some years ago edit a couple medical books: ER trauma and dental lesions/plagues.
on a hardcore scale, the dental book pictures takes the top
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
IThe only "bad" pop I drink is root beer -- but it's usually in a mug half-filled with vanilla ice cream, so that makes it better, right?

sacrilege!!!
vanilla ice-cream should only lend on top of chocolate filled or home-made-preserve filled crepes....

Soda, diet ot otherwise, is nothing but sugar water....good for you! I quit drinking it a couple of years ago!

Diet soda (and artificial sweetener of any sort) is just about the worst thing you can put in your body, IMO. We're not designed (or evolved, if that suits your views better) to process stuff that is not a nutrient, and to not create a "food" with no nutritive value but to make it fool your taste buds into thinking that it is nutritive and thus kicking off the whole endocrine response to eating sugar sets the stage for a lot of problems. It would be OK if people didn't chug the things in large volumes, but since they aren't nutritive people slam them like water and the whole time the taste is telling your body "digest this.." but there's nothing to digest.

I've cut back to a soda every couple of days, at most. Real-sugar soda if available, not high-fructose syrup sweetner.

Originally Posted By: horse123
People strongly affected by mass hysteria are the reason news outlets write their ridiculous stories about how artifical sweeteners cause cancer or fast food causes hunger/diabetes/braincancerherpesaids

If any of that is true, it's because you had an allergic reaction. Not because the artificial sweetener or any other ingredient is such a horrible thing.

I would disagree on that point, cancer/chronic disease is not an allergic reaction. Artificial sweeteners are ABSOLUTELY horrible and can cause a variety of issues.

Stelth, good for you! Tough habit to kick.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Diet soda still is acidic and can damage enamel even if it doesn't have sugar.
Especially if it is the go-to beverage and basically on the teeth all the time and not just an occasional treat that gets rinsed with water. The coloring can also cause stains

I keep a 2 liter of cola with my solvents I the garage. Phosphoric acid is king , just rinse off the sugar after cleaning.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Fine...some news outlet (no respect for their product) reported that there were compounds in diet sodas which effect the bones by "threaded fastener"ing up blood chemistry.

My friend with weakened bones stopped drinking the stuff instantly. It's garbage anyway. Grow up and drink water...."Adam's Ale"....what God drinks....what Aphrodite bathes in.....good enough to make beer out of (what else do you want?).

amen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back