I quit diet soda after decades

Status
Not open for further replies.
warning pun ahead....

I quit diet soda after decades...........sweet!
cool.gif

good deal, stay off the sugary drinks and go as much water as you can.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
You've just accomplished one of the most significant things you could do to improve your health. Congratulations!

Really!

We all should smoke a couple of packs of cigs each day while pounding 2 or 3 six packs without any exercise. No health concerns at all since as long as we stay away from the diet soda.

Good for you on no more soda, I too am drinking alittle more of the joe. We have been trying the organic coffee now, in an effort to avoid the pesticides in regular coffee. First thing we noticed was the improved flavor.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Cadenza
You've just accomplished one of the most significant things you could do to improve your health. Congratulations!

Really!

We all should smoke a couple of packs of cigs each day while pounding 2 or 3 six packs without any exercise. No health concerns at all since as long as we stay away from the diet soda.

That's what you took away from what he said? You missed the point entirely.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: horse123
People strongly affected by mass hysteria are the reason news outlets write their ridiculous stories about how artifical sweeteners cause cancer or fast food causes hunger/diabetes/braincancerherpesaids

If any of that is true, it's because you had an allergic reaction. Not because the artificial sweetener or any other ingredient is such a horrible thing.

I would disagree on that point, cancer/chronic disease is not an allergic reaction. Artificial sweeteners are ABSOLUTELY horrible and can cause a variety of issues.

Stelth, good for you! Tough habit to kick.

You are entirely wrong. There are no artificial sweeteners being used in the US today that are dangerous in any way. Any links to cancer or any other disease are tests done on rats with 500x a normal dose. It's like saying eating 5 pounds of salt will kill you. Well no [censored], does that mean it's dangerous at all for you in even remotely reasonable quantities? No.

Stop spreading misinformation, people like you are ruining the country for people who had self control from the beginning. Banning trans fats and trying to ban added sugar. Maybe people who have no self control deserve to die from it. The rest of us happily consume these things as a snack once in a while and are probably healthier than the rest of you.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Good for you on no more soda, I too am drinking alittle more of the joe. We have been trying the organic coffee now, in an effort to avoid the pesticides in regular coffee. First thing we noticed was the improved flavor.
I'm doing the same with organic coffee...I even started drinking it black...the sugar and creamers with sugar are bad too...getting used to it black took a while...

People strongly affected by mass hysteria are the reason news outlets write their ridiculous stories about how artifical sweeteners cause cancer or fast food causes hunger/diabetes/braincancerherpesaids

If any of that is true, it's because you had an allergic reaction. Not because the artificial sweetener or any other ingredient is such a horrible thing.

I would disagree on that point, cancer/chronic disease is not an allergic reaction. Artificial sweeteners are ABSOLUTELY horrible and can cause a variety of issues.

Stelth, good for you! Tough habit to kick.

You are entirely wrong. There are no artificial sweeteners being used in the US today that are dangerous in any way. Any links to cancer or any other disease are tests done on rats with 500x a normal dose. It's like saying eating 5 pounds of salt will kill you. Well no [censored], does that mean it's dangerous at all for you in even remotely reasonable quantities? No.

Stop spreading misinformation, people like you are ruining the country for people who had self control from the beginning. Banning trans fats and trying to ban added sugar. Maybe people who have no self control deserve to die from it. The rest of us happily consume these things as a snack once in a while and are probably healthier than the rest of you.

Doctors and scientists disagree with you. Just a heads up.

I won't touch diet soda, but I do treat myself to 7-up mixed with fruit juice. Everything besides water is loaded with sugar, but at least I'm not willfully ingesting Saccharin, Aspartame or Sucralose anymore.

Good for you. It's a tough habit to break. I know people that drank 10+ diet sodas per day for years and had weeks of awful headaches trying to get off the stuff.

The real issue here is how many people call it pop. It's soda!

Last edited:

Stop spreading misinformation, The rest of us happily consume these things as a snack once in a while and are probably healthier than the rest of you.

Exactly. Artificial sweeteners after thousands of valid studies have never been proven unsafe in normal quantities. Thats in a period of over 50 years..

Mayo Clinic:
" according to the National Cancer Institute and other health agencies, there's no sound scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer or other serious health problems. And numerous research studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are generally safe in limited quantities, even for pregnant women."

I am 70 and have drunk diet soda since 1964.

I don't know any 70 year olds in better shape and health.

If they call "Artificial Sweetener" by its real name "Chemical Sweetener" then most consumers will stay away from it.

I never had any "Chemical Sweetener" in anything I consumed, I use sugar or honey if I sweeten up something.

Back to soda consumption, I bought a last bottle probably 25-30 years ago. Since then I had some free bottles, probably one or two a year.

Originally Posted By: Al

Stop spreading misinformation, The rest of us happily consume these things as a snack once in a while and are probably healthier than the rest of you.

Exactly. Artificial sweeteners after thousands of valid studies have never been proven unsafe in normal quantities. Thats in a period of over 50 years..

Mayo Clinic:
" according to the National Cancer Institute and other health agencies, there's no sound scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer or other serious health problems. And numerous research studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are generally safe in limited quantities, even for pregnant women."

It's funny how people here all claim it's unhealthy, but can't cite a single study.

Here's an article from the NYTimes that says there's nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/upshot/the-evidence-supports-artificial-sweeteners-over-sugar.html

Originally Posted By: Al

Mayo Clinic:

Thank you, I was about to look up studies to prove these gluten free ebola hippies wrong. Saved me a lot of work.

It's just a simple well-researched fact. If you feel better not drinking it, then that's great, be happy about that, but don't spread misinformation that a rash you think may possibly be caused by diet soda is cancer or something.

Who is going to do the double blind studies on 10,000 people over a period of 10-40 years? It just isn't going to happen. Most studies are flawed right from the start. And the few that are worth something, are immediately reversed by some bogus study coming out a couple months or years later. You pick almost any study, and there's always another one to refute it. It's a mad house.

Frankly, you can keep the diet soda (unnatural chemical concoction that your body doesn't recognize or need) and the sugary drinks as well. While there's very few studies that show which specific foods could increase your risk of diseases, the fact that there isn't a current study to prove they aren't safe means nothing. Eat and drink what your body was designed to have. Diet and sugared sodas aren't one of them. I canned all soda's and cow's milk about 8 years ago. Only water, green tea, and freshly squeezed juices for me on a daily basis.

horse123 - not sure what your deal is, but I don't generally tell anyone what to eat or drink. I don't mind telling you my experience, which is what I did. If you think diet sodas and artificial sweeteners are the elixir of the gods, fine.

There are people who smoke cigarettes and live into their 80's or 90's. Others do the same and get lung cancer at half that age. People are individuals, and not everyone reacts the same to a particular substance. Smoking is still not good for you.

Giving up diet sodas has made a huge improvement in my life. You can do what you want.

Thank you, I was about to look up studies to prove these gluten free ebola hippies wrong.

[off-topic]
horse123,
there is a small part of the gluten free community which is not in a diet fad faze.
just search celiac disease/coeliac/wheat sprue
they are in a gluten is poison for my body and the medical community think of us as cuckoo birds faze (so you have people un-diagnozed for years).
and the hippies dieting trend don't tend to help either.
just think of any nut allergies... are we treating this seriously now? or over-responding?
[/off-topic]

Last edited:
Soda these days is no more than a brew of nasty chemicals. I try to put healthy as possible foods in the Tummy. Besides Sodas should be a treat not a replacement for water. I try to avoid GMO foods, Round Up ready is like eating Round up. Also Wheat is finished off with Round Up to speed in the drying of the heads. There are all these gastric problems these days and what else can it be ? GMO and Round up. Read the Round Up package about ingestion of Round up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back