Stop Drinking Diet Soda....Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to drink several cans of Diet Dr.Peper every morning. 3 or 4 a day.

I started to get dark circiles under my eyes and my eyes would itch. I tried drinking more water and cutting out beer. Nothing worked till I cut out the diet pop. It took several weeks but the problems started to go away.

Since then I have tried five times to start drinking it again and every time the problems return. They return much faster than they go away.

I rarely drink soda. Occasional mt dew if I get lunch from a pizza place by my work.

80% of what I drink is water, the rest of either coffee, apple cider, or Rum.

The stuff is so pointless anyways.. Have never liked the taste of it. If I want to drink something bad for me I'll just drink the real thing. Which is like half a dozen times a year.

Don't stop "cold turkey". If one stops caffeine, it's easy to get real bad headaches.

Tapper off gradually.

Only cure for a lack of caffeine headache is have some caffeene.

I very rarely drink any soda at all, even when I go to restaurants I ask for water. Soda is just empty calories, it provides absolutely no nutrition whatsoever.

...is waiting for Pop Rivet to come in and spout off on how he would NEVER sip a soda or corrupt his body with such filth...

Quote:
Women who drank up to 500 milliliters (about 12 ounces) of artificially sweetened beverages per week were 33 percent more likely to develop the disease, and women who drank about 600 milliliters (about 20 ounces) per week had a 66 percent increase in risk.

Reality probably is if you're drinking diet soda, you're 33 percent more likely to be overweight, obese, or just generally thinking ignorantly in terms of your health, and on your way to getting diabetes anyhow.

Bad correlation plagues all "studies".

Originally Posted By: Tegger
It's simple: Fat people drink diet beverages, then decide that they've saved enough calories that they can indulge in more of other foods. Then they end up consuming MORE calories of the "other foods" than they would if they had knowingly consumed high-calorie beverages.

This phenomenon is known as "moral hazard". Google it.

That is insulting and such [censored] on so many levels I don't know where to begin. WOW!

I moved over to Seltzer water and have not looked back.I really like Polar's Cherry Pomegranate flavor. Hopefully it is not harmful as I consume about 1L/day of the stuff.

The only time I drink soda(coke) is in foreign countries as I trust it more than the bottled water. Also on airplanes it coke settles my stomach.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Sounds to me like the 'research' is inconclusive at this point.

Sounds to me like the researchers are fishing for more grant money ....

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Quote:
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/st...-192600358.html

"We cannot rule out that factors other than ASB [artificially sweetened beverages] are responsible for the association with diabetes."

It's simple: Fat people drink diet beverages, then decide that they've saved enough calories that they can indulge in more of other foods. Then they end up consuming MORE calories of the "other foods" than they would if they had knowingly consumed high-calorie beverages.

This phenomenon is known as "moral hazard". Google it.

Or we just don't like the sugary taste of regular soda and actually do eat healthy diets...

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Well,since Diet drinks have been around since the 1960s (remember TAB?),I guess they have been killing people for more than 50 years now....

I knew people that didn't drink or smoke, yet used saccharin and later different sweeteners and they died from cancer. That told me not to use artificial sweeteners.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Well,since Diet drinks have been around since the 1960s (remember TAB?),I guess they have been killing people for more than 50 years now....

I knew people that didn't drink or smoke, yet used saccharin and later different sweeteners and they died from cancer. That told me not to use artificial sweeteners.

We all died of something, but is it a causality or correlation that he died of cancer? Also what kind? and did he have any family history of certain types of cancer?

I drink 90% water all day, everyday. The 10% of the time I drink juice I water it down a lot.

I do occasionally drink a little soda with Pizza. For some reason Pizza and a coke go great together. Other than that I don't miss it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: johnachak

We all died of something, but is it a causality or correlation that he died of cancer? Also what kind? and did he have any family history of certain types of cancer?

The #1 cause of death, is birth.
smile.gif

Yeah, it must be that simple

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23088901

Quote:
Twenty-nine male Wistar rats received plain yogurt sweetened with 20% sucrose, 0.3% sodium saccharin or 0.4% aspartame, in addition to chow and water ad libitum, while physical activity was restrained. Measurements of cumulative body weight gain, total caloric intake, caloric intake of chow and caloric intake of sweetened yogurt were performed weekly for 12 weeks. Results showed that addition of either saccharin or aspartame to yogurt resulted in increased weight gain compared to addition of sucrose, however total caloric intake was similar among groups. In conclusion, greater weight gain was promoted by the use of saccharin or aspartame, compared with sucrose, and this weight gain was unrelated to caloric intake.

Sounds to me like diet sodas are being blamed for people not being able to control their eating/drinking habits otherwise. Why blame the diet drinks for the diabetes when it was really the Golden Corral that caused it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back