Vegetarianism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
After a cardiac episode, the emergency room cardiologist told me that Americans don't eat correctly....he said we should eat nuts, berries and vegetables as the body was intended instead of meats and such. When asked, he said he followed his own advice and very rarely ever ate any kind of meat....it was also noticed that he was very trim and "looked" healthy. It does beg for an answer to the question though....If animals weren't meant to be eaten then how come they're made out of meat?

I would've asked him why I have canines and stereoscopic vision if I wasn't supposed to eat meat?

Take an hour walk a day, 25 pushups, and 50 squats. You can do these 3 things anywhere. Plus you'll feel better afterwards. Which is my motivation for doing these things everyday.

It's not easy to do vegetarian off-the-shelf in America. You're either eating just vegetables or those chemical and sodium laden veggie burgers / chemical patties.

However, there are a lot of healthy Indians (India, not Native Americans) ... and a majority of them do not eat meat. Indian culture / norms seem to be conducive to being vegetarian. If I had to be vegetarian, I'd do it in India. Indian food is just amazing - no meat required.

I will sometimes go a day or two without eating meat. Not on purpose, but it works that way.

I have an egg white breakfast sandwich (home made) for breakfast with no meat.

For lunch, I do a beans and rice medley .... mostly beans very little rice. A LOT of protein. Black Beans, Great Northern Beans, Pinto beans, Chili Beans, lima beans all mixed with rice.

Dinner I usually do lean chicken or ground turkey. I like beef, but its just too expensive. If I have pizza that night, I will have not eaten any meat for the day!

I have been going to the gym every day after work. That has been making me feel GREAT these last few months. Lots of energy and starting to shed some weight.

I don't eat Pork, but occasionally ham. Pork seems to be a "dirty" meat (watch Monsters Inside Me on DiscHealth - most of the stuff on that show is from Pork!!). Gotta cure it well enough apparently.

Stop focusing on your weight. Who cares what you weigh? Focus on your % Body Fat. Get your fitness folks to caliper or dunk you and find out where you are. The lbs on the scale are meaningless without knowing your % BF.

Further, you're a soldier. To get correct nutrition, particularly protein, requires things (like Legumes) that won't be available in the field. Be a vegetarian at home, if you like, once you're a civilian again, but it's a poor choice for you right now - inadequate nutrition leaves you weak, and drags down your team.

I've got personal, family experience with vegetarian diet, it's a challenge (and a luxury) that you can't afford right now.

Focus on the exercise that you need to stay lean and in shape for your profession. Can't work out? Really? Sure you can, try getting the P90X series...they've got a new 30 minute routine that requires no equipment. You've got 30 minutes each day...might have to give up BITOG...but you've got it...

I have been vegetarian (almost vegan but I eat tonnes of honey!) for a little over 2 years now and have not missed meat once. Restaurants have largely been trouble-free with a few exceptions where I ended up in a steak house for someone's birthday, for example; but even then there always seems to be a basic pasta or, failing that, multiple appetizers.

It has not been difficult at all and my diet is delicious and well-rounded.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Life is too short not to eat meat.

It seems more and more like it'll be a good deal shorter if you do eat meat. :^)

I say give it a try and see how it fits you. Everyone is different. You might like it...or you might not. You'll know in a few months.

Sorry but everything from our teeth to digestive tract is designed to eat meat. I would advised against going totally vegetarianism. Now most Americans eat too much meat and too much red meat from beef. I would focus on your body fat % as Astro suggested and do not follow into the trap of body weight. Focus on how you feel once you have implemented your diet changes and exercise daily even it is 30 minutes a day.

We do not have to workout freaks and health nuts to be in good health and to feel good. I have changed my diet a lot. There is a lot more fish, poultry, and vegetables in my diet and a lot less red meat. Also I am exercising every day. I am 5 11 and around 175 lbs and this is what I feel is closer to my natural weight as opposed to 185 to 200lbs I weighed while I was serving. I have more energy and I feel better than I have in years. I did slim down but that was not my goal I wanted to build my endurance and strength, and flexibility. Toning down was just a side effect. Just make some modest changes when you return and drink plenty of H20.

First off, I have had bf% done. It's 17%
Second off, there are plenty of healthy alternatives to meat for protein, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanuts, beans.
I've taken nutrition college courses, and I have strength to begin with.
I'm not a workout or a health freak. I'm just leaning farther away from meat.
Watch food inc. the stuff in American meats can be both carcinogenic and bad for you...
I'll eat eggs, and fish when I get back,
And fwiw there ARE vegetarian mres in the field.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
I dropped from 330 to 190 in a year

Gained 10 lbs there, though most of it was muscle gains than anything.

immediately dropped to 190 again getting there

I've gotten back up to 200lbs since being here.

I really want to drop from 200 to 170 in 6 months

You're doing one of the worst things you can do-letting your weight cycle back and forth.

Eating healthy isn't rocket science-it just requires a bit of common sense. Stay away from processed foods, fast foods and all types of soda pop. Know what's in the food you're eating and make your meals whole foods. Stay away from long ingredient lists with names of chemicals you can't pronounce. Stay away from health fads, and learn about real nutrition, then find a balance that works for you. There is plenty of quality food available-no special diets, magic food or supplements from third world countries are needed.

Your problem is that you keep going on "diets"; several studies show that weight cycling is as bad, if not worse than just carrying a few (very few) extra pounds. There are also negative psychological effects associated with weight cycling.

In addition to understanding nutrition and making lifestyle changes that achieve a balance that works for you, make sure you get plenty of exercise every day, both cardio and muscle building. Given your recent number of posts here, it's clear that you have plenty of free time to exercise. So stop making excuses, get up and get out from in front of the idiot box, and do something positive with your time.

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

I've taken nutrition college courses

Then you should already know the answers to your questions.

While you give what may be good suggestions, without any sort of real BMI analysis, it's hard to say. If he added 10# of muscle in bootcamp, what you suggest about bad foods may not be the right answer.

Weight is merely ONE of a myriad of numbers needed to evaluate his health.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Look at the length of a human large intestine in relation to the small intestine.

We're designed to eat meat.

Just stay with lean meats if you're worried.

I have never heard it mentioned about the length of the small and large intestine and red meat. Not saying its true or not. But I do read health letters from Mayo Clinic and Consumer Reports and I do not remember it being there.

I look to peoples teeth and size of incisors. Dogs and cats have long incisors for ripping meat. People do not. Thus my feeling that people should not be eating red meat.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I dropped from 330 to 190 in a year

Gained 10 lbs there, though most of it was muscle gains than anything.

immediately dropped to 190 again getting there

I've gotten back up to 200lbs since being here.

I really want to drop from 200 to 170 in 6 months

You're doing one of the worst things you can do-letting your weight cycle back and forth.

Eating healthy isn't rocket science-it just requires a bit of common sense. Stay away from processed foods, fast foods and all types of soda pop. Know what's in the food you're eating and make your meals whole foods. Stay away from long ingredient lists with names of chemicals you can't pronounce. Stay away from health fads, and learn about real nutrition, then find a balance that works for you. There is plenty of quality food available-no special diets, magic food or supplements from third world countries are needed.

Your problem is that you keep going on "diets"; several studies show that weight cycling is as bad, if not worse than just carrying a few (very few) extra pounds. There are also negative psychological effects associated with weight cycling.

In addition to understanding nutrition and making lifestyle changes that achieve a balance that works for you, make sure you get plenty of exercise every day, both cardio and muscle building. Given your recent number of posts here, it's clear that you have plenty of free time to exercise. So stop making excuses, get up and get out from in front of the idiot box, and do something positive with your time.

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

I've taken nutrition college courses

Then you should already know the answers to your questions.

In front of the idiot box eh?
My problem is I keep going on diets eh?
Fast food eh?

My posts are made from 2100-0200, well after the log work days I endure in a combat zone.
I just actually got back from the shower, after going to the gym.

My health is perfectly fine, 2 mile runs in Which well exceed army pt standards.

My time in front of my iPad, er "idiot box" isn't all spent on bitog, I have a family thousands of miles away, in which I talk to.
Sorry to post on this forum, during my free time, the little I have...
When in garrison, I workout 5 days a week in the morning, standard PT, and normally hit the gym after work for a few hours, as well as Saturdays, normal day off.

As for the fast food comment, I eat at the chow hall here, so what they're serving is what I'm eating, this isn't a "have it your way" selection, army chow is chicken or chicken normally.

Oh, and my sincerest apologies for dropping from 330 lbs to 190 lbs in 13 months to defend my country and serve my time in the armed forces. Because that's the new "fad" diet.

No, I changed my life for the better actually. Not working at a gas station and doing something with my life.

Aside from weight, there are a whole lot of medical issues with eating red meat. The old guideline was 10 oz a week. Some people eat that in one meal or day.

I eat almost no red meat and absolutely no hot dogs. If I go to a BBQ and all they have are burgers and dogs I might have a burger.

The fish I like (tuna and swordfish) are both predatory fish so one needs to worry about mercury.

I eat a lot of chicken and some turkey and tuna once a week. Lucky I like chicken and turkey.

The big problem in our diet is processed foods.

My health is number one being in the military, as I avoid sick hall like the plague.

I really want to drop from 200 to 170 in 6 months, which isn't too far of a goal...
At 6 ft tall, 22 years old, 170-180 seems like a reasonable weight...

I have no issues with protein deficiencies cutting out meat, which is easily substituted with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, PB, and a few others.

Humans are meant to be omnivores. If your health is your primary concern, you need to eat meat. Plain and simple. You should get getting about 2 g/kg of protein per day if you are active. 2.5 g/kg if you lift weights. If you don't eat meat, that is a lot of yogurt and peanut butter.

Meat sources are usually also good fat sources. Fat is not the devil, it is essential.

And lastly your height and age shouldn't be the guide to how heavy you should be. This is a very individual thing based on genetics and build.

OP,
Thank you for your service!
don't mind the nay-sayers.
try it after army and see if it fits you.
when you do, if you still want to be part of the BITOG community, we can start a vegetarian recipe exchange thread.

I haven't drank a soda, sweet tea, energy drink, etc since feb 2011

And dropping from 200 to 170 in 6 months isn't an insane goal. It's 5lbs a month, 8 lbs a month is recommended for weight loss.

Going vegetarian isn't me trying to diet, yeah, I hope to lose weight in the process, I am tired of meat, I really am. Occasional tuna or chicken isn't bad, and I'll eat eggs, but the openings of a whole new world of vegetarianism isn't all that bad. I've been filled off of vegan/vegetarian meals many times.

My losing weight for the army wasn't a fad diet either, it was 5 meals a day, 2000 calories, sometimes 2500 calories, tracking it on livestrong.com. Plus working swing shifts at racetrac, and the golds gym membership, I'd do cardio and lift before work in the morning, then go to work at 1330, come home at 2300 and run treadmill until 0030-0100.

I put the video game controllers down, drank water, and rucked through it. Between work, and working out, I got my goal steadily in 13 months, dropping from a Xxxl size to a M/L size.. No pills, no fads. I did take a multivitamin, gnc mega men's sport, and still take it.

That's about it. motivation for running? Working out? Was a us army flag in front of the treadmill on the wall, with running cadences on a zune MP3 player.

Last edited:
I second that....heck, I'm impressed with the 330 to 190 reduction in a year. Impressive. Seen some soldiers here at Fort Sill that could benefit from your knowledge. No matter what you post, there will be nay-sayers as pandus puts it. Just the way it is. We're usually pretty good of getting rid of trolls, but like arsches, everybody has one. Us civilians get to eat lunch and one of the dfacs here on sill, I can tell you this, that food is EXCELLENT!!!! and for 5.25? You can't beat it.

Maybe you've had bad, grain lot beef, akin to what wallyworld sells. When you get back, do what I do. I'm sure you can find a civilian rancher out at Hood that raises cattle on the side. Buy a half from him and have it processed at the local processor. Get the ground beef to 10% and I GUARANTEE you that you will change your mind about beef!!!! That's the way I do it "up" here in Oklahoma. Buddy I work with raises cows and will take some into the processor from time to time. Cows are always on the grain fields, no injections or anything, just all natural. The taste is phenomenal!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back