I hate RockAuto right now

I would tell them that but there is no way to contact anyone. Their "corporate number" goes to a black hole without knowing the extension you need and the voice jail message says they do not offer customer support by phone.
I’d tell them in email this is the last transaction they’ll ever get from you, and you’ll be contacting your CC to have the charge removed.

RA is definitely having some issues with their suppliers. I recently had a part sit in one of their warehouses waiting to be shipped for nearly 2 weeks. Their support portal had no option other than wait a month before reporting a package as lost. After 2 weeks, I received an automated email that they received the part as an unexpected return! A reply to [email protected] with an explanation and customer service responded promptly and the part was shipped out the same day.

absolutely terrible customer service and I have issues with their parts

but due to the cost, I still order a lot of parts for them, especially for engine rebuilding because other places are 3 to 4 times as much

RA is at the mercy of the suppliers that drop ship their orders.

A search of the return address should reveal the actual business that shipped the order.

The people sitting in the RA offices in WI don't have any better idea how the parts house, shop, or liquidator that shipped the order messed up any more than you or I do.

However, it is their job to sort it out, and provide a satisfactory solution, so allow them the opportunity to respond, at least.

The frustration of having something unexpected disrupt a job is also fresh in my mind, but the lesson I've tried to learn from that experience is to mitigate that risk by giving myself more lead time to source the parts in the future, and think more carefully about what those sources are, according to the needs and urgency of the job.

As said, use the RA process for a return. Select wrong part. You should be able to add comments too. Keep it short and sweet. (Ordered a hub bearing assembly, received 20 steel bushings.)

They’ll likely want you to place another order for (hopefully) the correct part, but I can’t see them charging you for return shipping since it’s their fault. As long as you have the funds on your method of payment, I’m not seeing the issue.

When I had to warrant an alternator with a lifetime warranty, the automated return system indicated that the alternator was no longer under warranty. I had to send a couple of emails (2 or 3) before a human became involved and then overrode the automated system and authorized the warranty return and sending of a new alternator to me.

It might take you a couple of emails in order to get to a human. Just stay matter of fact in your emails and you should prevail.

Good Luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: D60
Doing business with RA can be a crapshoot and annoying. My last order for a non-closeout windshield washer pump came missing a hose (which I did not need thankfully) and was already opened, clearly a return. If it weren't for the beer-fridge magnets, I'd be gone. ;)

I have found that between Amazon and eBay Motors, that I rarely need to order anything from Rock anymore.

My last order from Rock was for 4 KYB shocks. None of them were in packaging that matched each other, and they all had varying degrees of shelf wear. One was missing hardware thanks to a shipping box that opened up during transit (two shocks came in one box, two in another). None were ordered as "closeouts". I was afraid that one or two of the shocks were as old as the ones I was taking off.

I sent them all back and re-ordered from Amazon. With Amazon, 4 shocks quickly appeared that the packaging wasn't battered, were complete, looked like they were all manufactured in the same decade, and were ready to install.... for the same price thanks to no shipping charges with the jungle site.

Before that, I ordered 4 feet of 5/8" heater hose from Rock as part of a larger order. Received a 1 foot piece.

I've found the biggest downside of Rock is that you either have to wait until the package arrives to plan to do a project (to open it up first and make sure that what you got is what you ordered, and that it is all there) , or be willing to source an item locally to be able to continue in case that a mistake was made or something was lost along the way.

Where they get you is the shipping. For many of my projects, it seems like I cannot select 3 things from the same warehouse. So, 3 separate shipping charges. This can easy make the savings of the part a moot point. One thing is that they have or can source OE parts like GM Genuine, which is a plus.

I normally build a cart with NAPA or other, and with ROCK or 1aAuto, and compare.......

I haven't had a bad experience with RockAuto... yet, so I can't comment on that, but it's sad how many companies are automating all customer support to the point where it is intentionally sending you in circles so you have no points of contact or a resolution to the problem. I refuse to deal with WalMart online because of this. If you order something and it comes in everything is dandy. If the product is lost in shipping and you never receive it, the system automatically keeps telling you "your product is still in transit" with no alternative options to get assistance. I had to do 3 credit disputes with them in one month before I said no more. That was 6+ months ago, and according to their site those products are still in transit. If you call customer support, they tell you the same thing. It is a way for corporations to completely get out of any recourse for their screw ups.

Call the machine shop and find out what you got? Maybe it's worth a lot?
I was thinking this, too. OP said a packing list was included. If it's truly something one of the RA distributors ordered, you have leverage. And the machine shop will have some interest in letting their customer know what happened.

The crazy thing is the address of both the machine shop and the recipient of the parts is on the the box of parts I sent back. I think I will try to reach out and let them know what's happened.

I took a photo of everything so I have all their info

50 years ago, I had the same issues with JC Whitney.
As a little kid, that catalog was packed with stuff I liked. Curb feelers, louvers/reflectors for sealed beams, wide white whatevers for the tires

Back