I get to choose a "cleaning" oil for my Subaru EJ today. What should I choose?

Great which one did you go with?

I am attempting to mix frugality with practicality.

So, in Walmart, the Full Synthetic stuff is only one dollar more than the conventional. And everyone bought all the 5W-30 conventional anyways. Probably because it was a dollar less and the cheapest oil they have.

So I bought two 5 gallon jugs of Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30. And a quart of MMO.

I even bought another filter.

Now let's change the oil.

So, in Walmart, the Full Synthetic stuff is only one dollar more than the conventional. And everyone bought all the 5W-30 conventional anyways. Probably because it was a dollar less and the cheapest oil they have.

So I bought two 5 gallon jugs of Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30. And a quart of MMO.

What filter?

PYB is said by many bitogers to be a great cleaning oil, and it's a dino so not that expensive. I'd run some Gumout or MMO for a bit before I did all that oil changing.

But if you suspect a clogged pickup tube you'd better drop the pan. No telling what else is in there, like tensioner pieces, etc.

No oil is a great cleaner, that's not their primarily role, which is to lubricate. They also are supposed to keep things clean, but that task is a lot easier than cleaning up a mess that other products have left behind.

It's best to keep things clean in the first place, trying to clean it up after the fact is extremely difficult.

The MMO is just going to thin it, is that your intention? If you want something to actually do a bit of cleaning, B12 is a pretty strong solvent, but I'm not sure how safe it is for a flush product.

The MMO is just going to thin it, is that your intention? If you want something to actually do a bit of cleaning, B12 is a pretty strong solvent, but I'm not sure how safe it is for a flush product.

Well, I didn't actually put the MMO in. Not a lot of sludge came out. Nothing super funky or funky. I could use a refresher on what happens when oil is too thin.

I thought you could use MMO up to 25% and that it provided a slow, gradual cleaning. Even considered the 10W-30, as my car is garage-kept and is warmer than outside.

I also read somewhere that a Subaru EJ has a low psi oil pump.. ?

Well, I didn't actually put the MMO in. Not a lot of sludge came out. Nothing super funky or funky. I could use a refresher on what happens when oil is too thin.

I thought you could use MMO up to 25% and that it provided a slow, gradual cleaning. Even considered the 10W-30, as my car is garage-kept and is warmer than outside.

I also read somewhere that a Subaru EJ has a low psi oil pump.. ?

Well, if you've got low oil pressure, even thinner oil isn't going to help on that front.

Like Lucas, MMO is a product that's had a lot of investigative work put into its composition. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find it. From my recollection, it isn't a product that's capable of doing any real cleaning, its main ability is thinning, it's a REALLY light oil.

B12 is a solvent, and an effective one, but another product that @Trav has recommended on here in the past for cleaning is Kreen, so that may be worth a look too. Perhaps he'll comment on my mention of B12.

Nice my Walmart doesn’t carry Purolator they carry Fram, Motorcraft, Mopar, Hyandai, SuperTech, and Ac Delco.

Yeah my Walmart doesn't carry them either. They still have some Supertech filters... Just not that many. But some..

I had to go to Advance Auto Parts for the filter. $4.99 or $5.99. I almost got the last two PureOnes for $8.50 each but.. figured that, I could get a possibly better filter (the Fram? The Mazda??) for similar money so.. I put them back. Besides, I'm broke and I ain't got no girlfriend so. I get to touch my car!

Oh, and I kept thinking I was going to check A-ZONE for some clearance oil, but I already know everyone bought it all so. I didn't bother. Besides, I just wanted to get home. (Autozone)

Yeah my Walmart doesn't carry them either. They still have some Supertech filters... Just not that many. But some..

I had to go to Advance Auto Parts for the filter. $4.99 or $5.99. I almost got heblast two PureOnes for $8.50 each but.. figured that, I could get a possibly better filter (the Fram? The Mazda??) for similar money so.. I put them back. Besides, I'm broke and I ain't got no girlfriend so. I get to touch my car!
Haha 😆 I don’t have one either so don’t feel bad. And yeah I usually get my oil at Walmart and go to the parts place for a filter and they always try to sell me their brand of filter insisting it’s just as good as the name brand ones

Haha 😆 I don’t have one either so don’t feel bad. And yeah I usually get my oil at Walmart and go to the parts place for a filter and they always try to sell me their brand of filter insisting it’s just as good as the name brand ones

The oil video I saw for my car tells me that the Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and K&N filters are all the same.

Also. That a PureOne and Purolator BOSS are the same

Also. That Fram are also pretty much the same, different media on an Ultra that's about it, and better than OEM.

And that an L14460 has a Nitrile ADBV. The One and BOSS have Silicone. Ooo-wee.

Also that a Mazda N3R1-14-302 is a Tokyo Roki (Roki) unit and is going on my car at some point. Also, it's black. Has to be black. It's just cool.

To the OP

My approach would be....

You get from work (warm oil).......you change oil +/- oil filter....

And grab the cheapest 15w40 hdeo........drive it for a week......and then pour in 1dcl of diesel fuel or dedicated engine flush.....idle it for 10 minutes....

Change oil and filter.....and proceed with your oil of choice...

Been there....done that!

Back