I get to choose a "cleaning" oil for my Subaru EJ today. What should I choose?

Well. In about an hour, I get to buy my oil. I would ultimately like to use an M3R1-14-302 filter. (It is a Mazda filter and it is bigger. Seems to meet Subaru specs.)

Thinking of if I'm gonna do... Regular, old, cheapest 5W-30 (SuperTech)
Pennzoil 5W-30
Quaker State 5W-30
Valvoline 5W-30
Is there any point in getting Mobil 1 for this "cleaning" change?
Or even any synthetic ??

PYB is said by many bitogers to be a great cleaning oil, and it's a dino so not that expensive. I'd run some Gumout or MMO for a bit before I did all that oil changing.

But if you suspect a clogged pickup tube you'd better drop the pan. No telling what else is in there, like tensioner pieces, etc.

I never heard anyone doing partial one quart changes. Seems like such a waste and accomplishes very little if anything. Unless you have poor maintenance practices, hard to believe the pickup screen could sludge up with reasonable care and today's oils.

Well. In about an hour, I get to buy my oil. I would ultimately like to use an M3R1-14-302 filter. (It is a Mazda filter and it is bigger. Seems to meet Subaru specs.)

Thinking of if I'm gonna do... Regular, old, cheapest 5W-30 (SuperTech)
Pennzoil 5W-30
Quaker State 5W-30
Valvoline 5W-30
Is there any point in getting Mobil 1 for this "cleaning" change?
Or even any synthetic ??
Castrol or M1 0w40

Yay! Its Friday. And I just got paid...

Time to go buy some oil!

My oil is as black as a thousand black holes. I been doing a partial oil change all this week. (about a quart a day. Just because I can and just because of boredom.
You should seriously consider finding a better thing to do rather than messing with your engine

You are more than welcome to cut open my filter.

But why a 40 grade oil?
A flickering oil light at hot idle is very common with these engines, it doesnt seem to be too detrimental to them but its not good. 5w40 Rotella or other 5w40 HDEO is a favorite with the Subi crowd, they do run well on it.
I have a 2012 here right now I need to do rods and pistons (possibly a new crank) on from being run low on oil.

A flickering oil light at hot idle is very common with these engines, it doesnt seem to be too detrimental to them but its not good. 5w40 Rotella or other 5w40 HDEO is a favorite with the Subi crowd, they do run well on it.
I have a 2012 here right now I need to do rods and pistons (possibly a new crank) on from being run low on oil.

It doesn't flicker at hot idle. It flickers upon startup and anytime it sits more than "10 minutes."

You should seriously consider finding a better thing to do rather than messing with your engine

I have no girlfriend...

Gonna get me some oil..

Back