How physically active are you?

VERY!

Well, not as much as I used to be. Since about age 14 I have been doing 2-A day workouts. Cardio in the morning, and weightlifting in the afternoon. I competed in North American Strongman in the under 200 pound class (now under 220lb). I pushed myself (drug free) to be one of the best deadlifters in the world under 200 pounds...I never lost an event in any competition with deadlift. I still train at least 90 minutes a day, but after having my 7th joint surgery, I have been strongly urged by my surgeon to do no more than ride a bike or run on an elliptical. I kept that advice up over COVID, but in the last two weeks, I have got back to moving some weight again...I just can't resist. Sadly, I kept my bride awake last night due to my aching joints...will I ever learn?

Forgot how much I liked hiking; wanted to go on a trail I hadn't been on in a while, figured I'd just do 15 out and 15 minutes back. Made it back to the car after 2 hours of wandering around. Just below freezing temps, makes it rather nice--I still sweat like a pig but at least no mud puddles to contend with. Although I dislike dressing in layers cold weather has its perks.

Would be nice to switch between hiking and biking, depending on the weather. I dislike biking below 55F or so, just gets too much like work to enjoy it.

I'm 57 and am currently the strongest I have ever been in most lifts. Some joint injures hold me back. At 27 and 28 I competed in state bodybuilding contests and was only about 185# back then. You would be laughed off stage at that size nowadays.

I'm still in a bulking phase right now but in May when I start cutting for summer I should be in pretty good shape.

Its harder when your older, but you are never too old to get in shape.

And Drive, I'm in your boat, just further down the river. I love to lift big. But you can pay for it.

Edit: Also, at our age you can almost always get on TRT. But try to avoid it. A serious lifter like you would probably take it too far. I did.

Attachments

• PXL_20210110.jpg
    PXL_20210110.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 5
LA Fitness is now ESPORTA in Cape Coral, FL. I go to an AQUA Fitness/Aerobics class three times a week. My heart rate starts at ~ 68 and during exercise it cycles from 100 to 130 BPM for the 40 minutes plus 5 minutes cool down and stretching. I am 83 as of last month and plan to keep this up till the end. Ed

LA Fitness is now ESPORTA in Cape Coral, FL. I go to an AQUA Fitness/Aerobics class three times a week. My heart rate starts at ~ 68 and during exercise it cycles from 100 to 130 BPM for the 40 minutes plus 5 minutes cool down and stretching. I am 83 as of last month and plan to keep this up till the end. Ed
Great going Ed (y)

I worked out in the LA Fitness Atlanta last weekend. What a huge gym!

At 67 I had to quit the gym due to Covid, now that I had both shots back to gym, and I am aching all over. Just thread mill, Yoga and light weights 5-6 times a week. Most of last year I was just walking fast paced around neighborhood.

I hike up mountains, belong to a competitive swim club, snowboard, kayak, take Hapkido lessons, and teach Hapkido to youth, ride and race dirt bikes, run daily, spar with my dad 4 or 5 times a week, do a X training class 3 days a week, and skip rope for 30 minutes most mornings. My job also gets me exercise.

I have been physically very active from the beginning. As a kid I was always bouncing off the walls with a surplus of energy. I started sports seriously at around age 10. Back then I was surfing, swimming, skate boarding, and biking. In middle school I began wrestling and running. My favorite sport has always been surfing and I still go surfing and swimming at least twice a week. I run 5 miles a day, and I do work out in my garage a few times a week. I do more bodyweight training than weight training. I'm about to hit my mid-forties and while I have noticed a decline in speed, strength and endurance are better than ever. I have been able to keep wear and tear to a minimum by not focusing on just one or two sports. My goals is to not groan when getting in and out of vehicles or when getting up from a sitting position for as many years as possible.

How active are you? Do you groan? 😩
Jujitsu several times a week. Weights several times a week. I am 35 and still toss 200# limp bodies around like a boss without groaning, and can manhandle the 300#'ers. Get up to 400# of dead weight, I still need help with that. Gotta be able to fight, move heavy weights in mechanically bad positions, and still make it home and enjoy life. Staying active and training hard is the only way.

I tried crossfit, but didn't see much benefit. I didn't lift more or run further or faster. What made me lift more was...lifting more. What made me run better was...running better. But I now do enjoy doing Olympic lifts that CF helped me to perfect form with.

I tried striking arts, but you can't walk around in the professional world with a black eye very well all the time, nor is it "sustainable", and I wanted something that 'aged with me' as I grow older.

All in all, my own lifting routine and BJJ are where it's at for me, along with running and low impact cardio like stair climbers.

Last edited:
I hike up mountains, belong to a competitive swim club, snowboard, kayak, take Hapkido lessons, and teach Hapkido to youth, ride and race dirt bikes, run daily, spar with my dad 4 or 5 times a week, do a X training class 3 days a week, and skip rope for 30 minutes most mornings. My job also gets me exercise.
Swimming is beast. I used to swim 1/2 mile open water every other day or so. Absolute body pump! and I realize that's not much at all, in the scheme.

I'm 57 and am currently the strongest I have ever been in most lifts. Some joint injures hold me back. At 27 and 28 I competed in state bodybuilding contests and was only about 185# back then. You would be laughed off stage at that size nowadays.

I'm still in a bulking phase right now but in May when I start cutting for summer I should be in pretty good shape.

Its harder when your older, but you are never too old to get in shape.

And Drive, I'm in your boat, just further down the river. I love to lift big. But you can pay for it.

Edit: Also, at our age you can almost always get on TRT. But try to avoid it. A serious lifter like you would probably take it too far. I did.
I have always been trash on bench. 1RM 285, no shirt, no lift-off, just bands or chalk on the bench for traction. My backsquat though has been decent, 405-415 on that and my DL. I don't know why my bench is so trash. My form is on point, and I don't have freakishly long arms. I just suck at it.

I have always been trash on bench. 1RM 285, no shirt, no lift-off, just bands or chalk on the bench for traction. My backsquat though has been decent, 405-415 on that and my DL. I don't know why my bench is so trash. My form is on point, and I don't have freakishly long arms. I just suck at it.
If your 285 bench is painless joint wise and feels good, I would take that any day!!! That's great. My shoulder started hurting only thinking about it.

A lifting buddy who is a senior bodybuilder and just won 1st in a contest always tells me to not worry about your weight or your strength, just how you look. I do gauge myself by weight and strength constantly, but he has a little bit of truth in there. Probably cause I'm never satisfied with how I look.

I rode 38 miles Saturday and then did a 45 minute spin class Monday night after work.

I try to get 2-4 days on the bike. I work in a couple of days of strength work for my back and upper body when the gyms are open.

I finally got a smart trainer in January, a Kickr Snap. I had to put my "comfort" bike on it as my road bike is a disc brake bike and Thru Axle adapters were unavailable when I ordered.

Working my way through the free trials of various virtual biking apps. Starting up FulGaz today. It will be nice to be able to ride indoors in the rain and bad weather.

I'll probably sign up for an account with one of them such as Zwift for late fall to early spring rides.

I rode 38 miles Saturday and then did a 45 minute spin class Monday night after work.

I try to get 2-4 days on the bike. I work in a couple of days of strength work for my back and upper body when the gyms are open.

I finally got a smart trainer in January, a Kickr Snap. I had to put my "comfort" bike on it as my road bike is a disc brake bike and Thru Axle adapters were unavailable when I ordered.

Working my way through the free trials of various virtual biking apps. Starting up FulGaz today. It will be nice to be able to ride indoors in the rain and bad weather.

I'll probably sign up for an account with one of them such as Zwift for late fall to early spring rides.
Awesome Java. I have always been a biker. Only casual nowadays, but love it.

there is a great nutritionist app you may consider to download; valuable info in there

View attachment 47513
I use MyFitnessPal to track my macros. I try to stay under 60g carbs/meal and am allowed up to 45g carbs/day, but not to exceed 195g total per day.

I have to watch my carb intake to keep my blood glucose in the normal to low pre-diabetic range.

I'm probably 40% carb and 30% each fat and protein if I've had an ideal day.

Sounds like a lot of carbs to those KETO folks, but when the SAD is over 300g carbs/day, I'm relatively low carb.

If your 285 bench is painless joint wise and feels good, I would take that any day!!! That's great. My shoulder started hurting only thinking about it.

A lifting buddy who is a senior bodybuilder and just won 1st in a contest always tells me to not worry about your weight or your strength, just how you look. I do gauge myself by weight and strength constantly, but he has a little bit of truth in there. Probably cause I'm never satisfied with how I look.
Looks are vanity, I need performance. I won't turn DOWN looks of course, but performance is what I go on.

Back