How physically active are you?

I have been physically very active from the beginning. As a kid I was always bouncing off the walls with a surplus of energy. I started sports seriously at around age 10. Back then I was surfing, swimming, skate boarding, and biking. In middle school I began wrestling and running. My favorite sport has always been surfing and I still go surfing and swimming at least twice a week. I run 5 miles a day, and I do work out in my garage a few times a week. I do more bodyweight training than weight training. I'm about to hit my mid-forties and while I have noticed a decline in speed, strength and endurance are better than ever. I have been able to keep wear and tear to a minimum by not focusing on just one or two sports. My goals is to not groan when getting in and out of vehicles or when getting up from a sitting position for as many years as possible.

How active are you? Do you groan? 😩

Soreness is good. I like to exercise my muscles to failure. Soreness after exercising doesn't count.
Yep,absolutely!! Like they say, no pain no gain:D I always lift weights till muscle failure. Next day I'm sore as hell, but feels good!! I pound down my muscle shake mix (isolate, whey, creatine, collagen, biotin).

Awhile back I added a back muscle workout on arms night. My neighbor asked me if I was taking roids haha I told her, no, just working out alot.

Ever since I was diagnosed as being Diabetic I went and bought a stationary exercise bike that I ride for 45 minutes everyday except for Sundays, have lost 20 lbs and looking for more. ;)
I try and ride the bike 4 times a week and I do have some exercises I do. I think the word for me is Grunt, not groan. If I did your routine I would probably gasp, choke, groan then die.

Do you add half and half to the chocolate milk mixture? Whole milk? That sounds really good!! I'm about to drink my second glass of chocolate milk.

If you ever read on bodybuilding forums, bodybuilders actually drink lots of chocolate milk to help bulk up. I wonder if it's the whey protein that's in chocolate milk mix powder?
Not sure on the protein but I know it’s good LOL. No I don’t put half and half in there. Unfortunately it was 2% because that is all my family buys unless I buy my own whole milk.

Not sure on the protein but I know it’s good LOL. No I don’t put half and half in there. Unfortunately it was 2% because that is all my family buys unless I buy my own whole milk.
What choc milk mix do you buy? I've cut all of the refined sugar from my diet, and JT20 posted a picture of some Nesquick "No Sugar Added" choc milk mix, so I tried it, and it's really good!! It's base ingredient is whey protein.

If the ambient air temp is 50 F or above I walk 2 miles on back roads of a park almost every day. Previous winter I walked 2 or more miles almost every day in a mall. With covid that did not happen at all this winter. We finally had one day of 50 F last week and I walked on a back road of a park again. Thank heave for Ben-Gay. My legs let me know it in the middle of the night and the Ben-Gay stopped the cramping. After a winter of not getting my walking in regularly they were not up to it. When walking on the back roads of the park, It is nice that the few people you see on the road always stay away from you and you from them. But many will wave or nod if passing by going the other direction on the far opposite side of the road.

At 65 with a bad lower leg and ankle, and bad lower back, and bad upper back, most days 2 miles is enough. Some days 2 miles is too much. Some days I feel great and go even further.

What choc milk mix do you buy? I've cut all of the refined sugar from my diet, and JT20 posted a picture of some Nesquick "No Sugar Added" choc milk mix, so I tried it, and it's really good!! It's base ingredient is whey protein.
Nesquik real chocolate milk mix WITH sugar none of that fake without sugar LOL. I also like Ovaltine too.

I checked the food label on Nesquik No Sugar Added and it's got sucralose and ACE K as sweeteners. What's wrong with plain cocoa powder? Not alkalized/Dutch processed cocoa is high in beneficial phytochemicals. If the lactose in the milk doesn't add enough sweetness you can always add a little sugar. 1/2 a teaspoon sugar is less than 3g carbs. Even on a low-carb diet that's doable. BTW, I can't stand hot cocoa made with water. That makes me groan!

I bicycled 6540 miles in 2020, a little over half what I was doing every year around 10-20 years ago. Walk >1 mile on days I don't forget or can't find an excuse. Can still do about 4 consecutive chin-ups or 6 push-ups----compared to 11 and 30 respectively >50 years ago.
That's lot of biking! I never had a road bike. BMX bikes when I was a kid and later MTB's.

Pretty active. I relax by staying busy. Don’t let my profile photo fool you. I only drink and lounge on the beach on the weekends. 😎

I wear a smaller pants size than I did in high school. Still have all my hair too. Some of my classmates are going a little thin. Between that and weight gaining, it’s getting hard to recognize some of them.

With the exception of COVID-19 and fewer places to go just to get out of the house, my wife & I are very active with biking(~20 mi/day) and walking after dinner. Often trying to do the same with friends our age. And working around the home even if only puttering, things need to get done. A very important thing to remember as well is to eat correctly and control the snacking between meals.

Last edited:
That's lot of biking! I never had a road bike. BMX bikes when I was a kid and later MTB's.
BMX life back in the day was awesome!! I miss that so much!! I still have a first generation Diamond Back (circa 1981-1982 red frame with gold anodized alloy parts and yellow Tuff Wheel 1's with freewheel adapter). It's all taken apart but 100% complete. Would only need new tires and tubes to get it going.:D

I was a short skinny weasel through high school. But I was fairly athletic, weight room, etc. I ran track and cross country, played baseball but got sick and tired of the politics of organized ball. During college I actually put on weight, and got a little belly going...........OK OK BEER BELLY...........was proud of the thing, because I was pretty slender............uh oh...........well the sucker blossomed. I was still pretty active, but **** it kept growing! Finally in my late 40's (that took awhile) I figured out my body type just only stored stupid simple carbs (sugars, white flours). I knew my intake was out of whack and needed to increase protein. I went veggies, meat, nuts, etc (no fruit juices, hardly any beer, etc) and went from near 200 to ~165 pounds in 3-4 months. 170 is OK for me, 180-185 belly is back. Staying under 170 just is not going to happen and that's OK 175 seems ideal.

I'm nearing 63, and also not happening is running. I mean I CAN run but not for distance. Joints no longer are OK with it. We do a lot of hiking and walking and hills must be included. Some hikes are gnarly. Joints are all good with it. My wife has been doing some work outs with YouTube. Darn if I don't like those now as well. We alternate cardio and weight (HasFit is one, for example). Some of the exercises you hold a light weight in each hand, I use 8 pounds wife uses 5. Now to you power lifters, shut up. :LOL: Now that doesn't sound like much, but when in your 60's and doing 30 minutes, turns out to be a very good work out.

I want to bike BAD, but all my bikes are motorized or are dead carcasses. Want to buy a good mountain bike, but none available.

Spring/summer/fall/warm-winter-days: I go hiking at the local river valley. I am heading out farther (further?) from home to try new areas.
Spring and fall it is easy to head off the trails and bushwhack rather than seeing the same trails. This year, I am determined to go hiking rain or shine.
Early summer, I am scheduled to visit the Badlands in SD and will hike from the west border to the east border (or as close to it as I can).

I walk/trot 2 miles 3-4 times a week, with the trotting about 33% of the total. Plus pushups, situps, and stretches before, and stretches after. Before the recent hysteria, I'd planned to join a gym to lift weights again, since the one at my apartment complex is defunct. But the gyms all either insist, insanely, on face diapers or are not open 24/7, which I need. So I stay active washing the car and walking.

Recently, frightened of pre-diabetes, I cut out most sugar and the last bits of corn syrup from my diet. Not only has my weight dropped and waist size decreased, but also my frequent heartburn is gone.

Back