How physically active are you?

Looks are vanity, I need performance. I won't turn DOWN looks of course, but performance is what I go on.
I do have to lift heavy to get sore. But would do reps if it worked. And I do just like heavy weight, except when joints say otherwise. Like Drive was saying, you teach yourself to push yourself. But once you learn that, you can push too hard. Someone once told me about the 40% rule. When you think you are totally done or exhausted, you are really only 40% done. Its true, and you have to push past the 40% for major progress.

I hike up mountains, belong to a competitive swim club, snowboard, kayak, take Hapkido lessons, and teach Hapkido to youth, ride and race dirt bikes, run daily, spar with my dad 4 or 5 times a week, do a X training class 3 days a week, and skip rope for 30 minutes most mornings. My job also gets me exercise.
And you have time for BITOG? :ROFLMAO:

And you have time for BITOG? :ROFLMAO:
At work I do 🙂😉😜

My job changed about 6 months ago, now a Personal Assistant to a wealthy Businessman. Often there are times I need to just sit and wait for him. Bought my first car Saturday, then joined here to learn more about maintenance. Today I drove 3 hours, and will be taking my Boss around the city to his many stops, before we go check into a hotel. Tomorrow we drive further, and more stops, staying in another hotel, in different town, before heading home Friday. I have the BEST JOB, and BEST BOSS!
He is not very old, but his health is terrible (MS) so i do all the running around, shopping, errands, driving, and sometimes I just need to kill time waiting. Can't go for a good run, and get all sweaty at work though. Although I did find a grassy area near the parking lot a bit ago and do 200 sits up, 100 push ups, and earlier i skipped rope for 10 minutes. I did get in a 5am run with Dad, and then we sparred for 30 minutes , shower, dress, and zip to my Boss's house and pick him up. Most of the time I drop him off, help him into his house, carry in whatever we bought that day, and then he lets me take his car home, so its warm when I come get him the next day.

Ive been mostly self employed my whole life or in an environment of moving at a fast pace, never sitting in one place for long periods of time.
So Ive kept in pretty good shape and REALLY focused on eating right, nutrition, maintaining proper weight for the last decade or two.
I sort of always liked to watch what I was eating but the last two decades really stepped it up and this last decade took it to a whole new level and the last few years to a place that I can't possibly eat any better.
With no longer a need to work and wanting to continue that road, maybe just luck but I have avoided the family curse of diabetes and severe heart disease. I did undergo an angiogram in early 2021 and do have mild spots of plaque "all over" my veins to my heart. Dr says on a scale of 10% blockage, though medically I think they call it 20% or less.
Anyway, genetics to play a role but the way I am going he says I may never need any intervention. Great doctor and he knew how to work the medical insurance or I would have never ever found out this early stage. Because on a nuclear stress test I did just fine and everyone will unless your blockages get up to 60 or 70%.

(sorry for the long post, wanted to give background)
Anyway, I really took things to the next level, there is no way anyone can have any lower cholesterol then I already have but I could improve my HDL (good cholesterol) So the only thing I eat now is fruit, veggies, no red meat, plenty of fish, poultry and nuts. Nothing else, no fast food ever (haven't done that in a decade anyway)
and exercise!
I joined a "gym" "class" for the first time in my life. I LOVE it. Its one hour group coached sessions twice a week, everyone wears a heart rate monitor and you push yourself and your heart to near maximum capacity and sometimes over... *L* Wow its a workout and that is how you know you are truly pushing yourself to workout, your heart rate, I look forward to it all the time. You schedule the sessions on your phone app. Being new two this for only almost 4 weeks now, it takes me about 2 days to fully recover from each workout only because I really push myself, you truly work at any pace that you want. It took me some self push to walk in the place at first, Im a bit older now, many people in there young but never ever do you feel out of place, there are a wide range of people.

Anyway, through blood tests in only less then 4 weeks my HDL (good cholesterol) has shot up like a rocket to the highest level I have computerized records for (only got results last night) the last 4 years 2017. My total cholesterol in only 106 as it is, triglycerides 60 (another all time low)

The name of the gym is OrangeTheory, great place ... has grown from nothing to everyplace in the country to now international in maybe a decade? I love it, because it is structured, no wasted time and never wonder what you should be doing, the coach leads.

Once I am more fit and it doesnt take a day or two to recover I am going to step it up to 3 times a week which is the max they recommend I think.

Ive been mostly self employed my whole life or in an environment of moving at a fast pace, never sitting in one place for long periods of time.
So Ive kept in pretty good shape and REALLY focused on eating right, nutrition, maintaining proper weight for the last decade or two.
I sort of always liked to watch what I was eating but the last two decades really stepped it up and this last decade took it to a whole new level and the last few years to a place that I can't possibly eat any better.
With no longer a need to work and wanting to continue that road, maybe just luck but I have avoided the family curse of diabetes and severe heart disease. I did undergo an angiogram in early 2021 and do have mild spots of plaque "all over" my veins to my heart. Dr says on a scale of 10% blockage, though medically I think they call it 20% or less.
Anyway, genetics to play a role but the way I am going he says I may never need any intervention. Great doctor and he knew how to work the medical insurance or I would have never ever found out this early stage. Because on a nuclear stress test I did just fine and everyone will unless your blockages get up to 60 or 70%.

(sorry for the long post, wanted to give background)
Anyway, I really took things to the next level, there is no way anyone can have any lower cholesterol then I already have but I could improve my HDL (good cholesterol) So the only thing I eat now is fruit, veggies, no red meat, plenty of fish, poultry and nuts. Nothing else, no fast food ever (haven't done that in a decade anyway)
and exercise!
I joined a "gym" "class" for the first time in my life. I LOVE it. Its one hour group coached sessions twice a week, everyone wears a heart rate monitor and you push yourself and your heart to near maximum capacity and sometimes over... *L* Wow its a workout and that is how you know you are truly pushing yourself to workout, your heart rate, I look forward to it all the time. You schedule the sessions on your phone app. Being new two this for only almost 4 weeks now, it takes me about 2 days to fully recover from each workout only because I really push myself, you truly work at any pace that you want. It took me some self push to walk in the place at first, Im a bit older now, many people in there young but never ever do you feel out of place, there are a wide range of people.

Anyway, through blood tests in only less then 4 weeks my HDL (good cholesterol) has shot up like a rocket to the highest level I have computerized records for (only got results last night) the last 4 years 2017. My total cholesterol in only 106 as it is, triglycerides 60 (another all time low)

The name of the gym is OrangeTheory, great place ... has grown from nothing to everyplace in the country to now international in maybe a decade? I love it, because it is structured, no wasted time and never wonder what you should be doing, the coach leads.

Once I am more fit and it doesnt take a day or two to recover I am going to step it up to 3 times a week which is the max they recommend I think.
Strange that your veins have plaque Plaque usually forms only in the arteries where blood pressure is much higher than it is in the veins If someone gets a vein grafted to a section of occluded artery, the vein will accumulate plaque over time.

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember and never really played organized sports. I'm 5'8" and when I was 17 my weight had hit an all-time high of 244lbs and wore pant size 44. 7 months later I was 184lbs. and wearing size 34 pants and I still wasn't into sports or working out. I had cut out sugary drinks and only ate when I was hungry because I had fallen in love with my high school classmate. At 18 I started my automotive apprenticeship and have worked full-time ever since and despite it being a phyiscal job, my weight started creeping up on me again. Now that I'm 45 and have had a different career for the last 12 years my weight had increased to 228 lbs. until about 5 years ago, which is when a co-worker made me realize that if I was going to be around to see my kids grow up I had to take control of my health. I also realized that I was not setting a good example for my kids with my poor eating choices and lack of exercise. So, back in 2015 I started watching what I ate and began walking and/or running daily and had lost 30lbs by 2020. Not only did I change but so did my family, they also have lost weight by eating right and exercising. In 2020 I also incorporated fasting and that has helped my lose another 20lbs. I married my high school sweetheart in 1999 and we are both lighter now than when we first met back in high school and have 2 amazing kids. In August I was down to 176lbs. and am currently at 182lbs. I feel great and keep working towards losing more weight by making healthy food choices, eating less and walking more (currently @ 10 miles a day); But I'm still a groaner, LOL.
Inspirational story. Thanks, man!

GSCJR said it all "take control of your health" meaning most often its YOU! i note slowing since i hit my 70's but still above average IMO. controlling insulin which controls EVERYTHING is key + proper food + drink choices along with only eating enough + NOT more than 3 times daily, 2 is better as every time we eat or even drink, especially carbs sugar goes up, body secretes insulin to hopefully control it. lots of good vids to learn but you gotta sort out the BS + see what works for YOU!! IMO nutritional supplements help as well as your hormones, especially in our later yours!!

Strange that your veins have plaque Plaque usually forms only in the arteries where blood pressure is much higher than it is in the veins If someone gets a vein grafted to a section of occluded artery, the vein will accumulate plaque over time.
Good post^^

Sorry wrong choice of the word … heart arteries feed the heart muscle and is where plaque forms, thanks for correcting me. I was confusing myself when I posted.

When bypass surgery is performed they most often use a vein from the leg which is a compromise but is the most common solution when needing to graft.
Most all of these grafts do accumulate plaque in the future and have to be addressed if the person is still living.
I hear/just read best procedure but not common is to take an artery from the arm instead of using a vein.
Thankfully I don’t ever think I’ll have to deal with any of this because of my eating habits… tine will tell in 10 years time

Last edited:
Good post^^

Sorry wrong choice of the word … heart arteries feed the heart muscle and is where plaque forms, thanks for correcting me. I was confusing myself when I posted.

When bypass surgery is performed they most often use a vein from the leg which is a compromise but is the most common solution when needing to graft.
Most all of these grafts do accumulate plaque in the future and have to be addressed if the person is still living.
I hear/just read best procedure but not common is to take an artery from the arm instead of using a vein.
Thankfully I don’t ever think I’ll have to deal with any of this because of my eating habits… tine will tell in 10 years time
No problem. I was just curious if there was such a thing as plaque buildup in veins other than in grafts. Anyway, my doctor always tells me in the most cheerful manner that everybody over 50 shows at least some signs of CVD if only he looks hard enough, usually some atherosclerosis. Kinda scary to think CVD is unavoidable even if you haven't been burning the candle at both ends. Then again, it's like everything else. Entropy in progress. It makes sense to slow the decay as much as possible. Still doing great here. We'll pick this topic up in 15 years.

I've always been a big guy. Psych meds will do that do you. The last one they put me on made me pack on a 100 lbs, I've since changed meds and lost weight but I'm walking 20 minutes a day 5-7 days a week.

lots of info in books + online, i believe you do the opposite of what mainstream recommends!!! CAC is the gold standard test used overseas, check out Ivor Cummins, very interesting for sure. exercise is good + necessary depending on YOU + proper eating recommendations vary a LOT! the carbs recommended in the food pyramid will likely give you type II diabetes as unhealthy means $$$$$ for the health industry, drugs that only treat symptoms are NOT the answer, you must read + learn to see what really works!!!

Back