How often do you change your brakes and do you change pads and rotors at the same time?

Do you change pads and rotors together? How often?

• Pads - Less than 20,000 miles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rotors - Less than 20,000 miles.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was still on the original front brake pads and rotors on my 2002 Silverado when I sold it with 200,000 miles on it.

Not quite sure what data you are after so here's what I do- this would be regardless of vehicle, mileage and usage

I will replace pads/shoes by axle

I will rebuild/replace calipers/cylinders as a matter of cause and replenish system ( repacking bearings if indicated)

I replace rotors/drums if wear indicates

Basically I restore the entire assembly- whatever that may specifically entail

Not quite sure what data you are after so here's what I do- this would be regardless of vehicle, mileage and usage

I will replace pads/shoes by axle

I will rebuild/replace calipers/cylinders as a matter of cause and replenish system ( repacking bearings if indicated)

I replace rotors/drums if wear indicates

Basically I restore the entire assembly- whatever that may specifically entail

So what kind of like do you get out of your brakes?

I guess what I meant is what do you get out of your brakes?

Ah! OK. In that case, I typically get about 80k miles out of rear pads and about 110k - 120k miles out of front pads. That of course depends upon the quality of pads. When I was younger and didn't know better, I would get the cheapest Autozone or AAP pads that carried a lifetime warranty. I would typically only get about 30k - 40k miles out of them. Awful brake pads!!!! When I finally got wise, I buy OEM or equivalent brake pads, and they perform so much better.

Living in the West, I don't see the rust that others fret about. So rotors last a long time. When I measured the front rotors at 130k miles on my Outback, there was so little wear, I had to remeasure and double check the specification. I expect the front rotors to easily last through the third set of pads. Barring any warping, of course.

Only when necessary for pads and rotors but I have only ever worn one one set of pads completely
I usually see some uneven wear when rotating tires and then dig deeper and find stuck slider puns which then get new pads.

It does not only depends on vehicle, driving style, but environment.
Here in the Rockies most locals know how to go downhill. Then you see someone from Florida and driving behind them you start to wonder whether they have love affair with brake pedal.

Resurfacing rotors nowadays is about the same price as new rotors on a lot of vehicles, and getting them resurfaced is hit and miss on the quality, so new rotors only for me at pad change, and only if the old ones are glazed or uneven and they usually are. Pads when needed.

It depends on the vehicle but usually over 100k miles on pads and rotors. The rotors are usually pretty nasty looking at that point, grooves and whatnot, so I usually just replace at the same time. I have found 5 years is actually closer to the limit: while they often go longer than 125k I keep finding the pad lining trying to separate from the backing. I lost a pad once, and that is just no fun, waiting for the piston to pump out and restore braking. [Everyone says you still have some braking, that's bogus, it feels exactly like zero when the pedal hits the floor.] The amount of road salt in winter is atrocious.

Every spring I break apart the brakes and lube everything up. Stuff seizes up on me otherwise. I try to do in the fall also. If I go more than a year then out comes the hammer when stuff has to come apart. My truck will actually lose its brakes if I don't do this--the front pads will stick so bad that it's braking power will drop by more than half.

My VW needed rear calipers at every brake change (incidentally it wore rears faster than fronts). Otherwise I only do calipers when they stick. I probably should rebuild them more often, maybe get some red rubber grease in there, maybe they'd last longer. Dunno.

If I lived more south I probably would do pad slaps and call it good.

I will try to save some money on the job by resurfacing rotors if aftermarket rotors are pricey or hard to get and still within spec after resurfacing.
I push for new rotors with pad replacements whenver possible.

Interval depends on where you drive. Urban Stop and go highway and lots of around town with stoplights, stop signs and hills wear out brakes a lot faster than than rural driving.

It depends on the vehicle. On BMWs I usually change the rotors at every other pad change. I usually get 60k-80k miles out of a set of pads. but it looks like both front and rear pads will last past 100k miles on the M235i, which has fixed caliper M Sport brakes.

I always do pads and rotors and only when they are needed... If they are wore out or a rotor is warped. Most new rotors I've seen can't be turned so replace it is. Amazon and Rock Auto have made this fairly affordable.

Original brakes on my Durango at 120,000 miles. The last time I looked at them, they appeared to have about 50-60% left on the pads. When I replace them, I will replace pads and rotors, without question.

I currently have 157K miles on my factory rotors. 50K on my front Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads. 30K on my rear Thermo-Quiet pads.
it's great to here that the wagner thermo quiets are working so well on your f150. the wagner rep used to visit often when i worked for AAP. my gut would have been looking at semi metalic pad for the 150

Back