How happy are you in your profession ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my earlier years I worked for Nortel, and Pratt and Whitney in the tech sector. It was fast paced and and the pay was decent. after about 15 years into it and upon talking to many retired folks, those folks that said they wished they had spent more time at work earning the bucks etc was essentially zero, they all wished they had spent more quality time with family. This resonated with me (not saying this is for everybody) and so I made some significant life changes and slowed my pace. As a result of that change I moved to have no mortgage or debt of any kind. I now get to do what I personally find to be more rewarding, I work in the humanitarian sector, feeding the poor and needy.

Up against a scale where high pressure, no time off, long ours equating to a 9/10 I can't relate. What I do is brings me happiness in its own right and can't really put a rating on it that could be on scale with others posted.

I'm an electrician but the last couple of years i've been doing a lot more communications / internet wiring and network setups. I like doing both, networking more though. I work for myself and I really wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Contractors around here love to price gouge and take every holiday they can off so I pick up a lot of those jobs and work unnatural hours sometimes. When the internet goes down they want it back up asap.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Let's see.....one pair of free work boots per year, free OSHA sunglasses, gloves, winter gear, ice water. New computers. 5% 401k match, great health/life insurance. Somewhat of a pension, I'm still learning all that.

Good points!

I didn't even think about that in my above 'self assessment' LOL.

We can buy work boots or our mandatory flame resistant work clothing any time we need them. It's just a matter of ordering it, putting on your company CC and doing the expense report. I can buy $200 work boots twice a year without them blinking an eye and the FR stuff is crazy expensive. It's a different work environment for me though. One step in a puddle of cryogenic liquid and you crack the soles of your boots. Been around enough H2 fires that they don't scare me much. O2 fires on the other hand are horrific. Everything burns in an O2 rich situation.

Originally Posted by glock19
Let's see.....one pair of free work boots per year, free OSHA sunglasses, gloves, winter gear, ice water. New computers. 5% 401k match, great health/life insurance. Somewhat of a pension, I'm still learning all that. Keep health/life insurance when retired. A/C and heated office/desk. All federal holidays off. 26 days of vacation, and then more if you have saved up former hours. 13 days sick leave, and then more if you saved up any former hours. Company truck. Paid travel and hotel if needed. What's NOT to love???

What do you do? Based on your description of perks I'm baffled.

No kidding.

-0 vacation
-0 PTO
-0 401K
-Health insurance available to me costs me $380/mo and has a $7K deductible
-Do have employee parties, but you pay your own way, so...what's the appeal?

Perks: I set my schedule, I am paid well.

Retired NAVY 22yrs- Happy
Retired Walmart DC 26 yrs Happy
Fully retired- Very Happy.

banana2.gif

I'd have to say my profession has served me well. I'm paid more than I'm worth, I'm set for retirement, what else could I ask for?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Not to sound like ZZman...
I ask cause I've met lots of people in different career field are unhappy.

Just wondering on a scale from 1 to 10 how happy are you in your profession ?

What would make it better (besides more $$$) ?

Hey now!.....
smile.gif

10...Love my law enforcement profession. While I am retired from full time road patrol I still do part time desk duty.

Last edited:
I work for the Department of Defense. I'm the 3rd generation to work for government. My son is an air traffic controller and that makes 4 generations.

Let's see.....one pair of free work boots per year, free OSHA sunglasses, gloves, winter gear, ice water. New computers. 5% 401k match, great health/life insurance. Somewhat of a pension, I'm still learning all that. Keep health/life insurance when retired. A/C and heated office/desk. All federal holidays off. 26 days of vacation, and then more if you have saved up former hours. 13 days sick leave, and then more if you saved up any former hours. Company truck. Paid travel and hotel if needed. What's NOT to love???

I forgot to mention the 72F year round in the shop, 5% 401k company match, and we also keep our health and life insurance when we retire. Did I mention it's always 72F?

Originally Posted by pandus13

Just a similar shop, for comparison, about 1-1/2 year ago: one company party per year, hold in the same place you work (mmmm mmmmmm mmmm, food + oil + coolant smell), no drinks, provided cheap safety glasses, pay $50/year for work boots, what bonus... don't get me started on health insurance cost

Our summer part is held onsite, but outside only. They bring in catering, and have fair type food that is all 100% free. Want 3 elephant ears and a slice of cheesecake dipped in chocolate on a stick? Have at it! They also have a free raffle and give out prizes like TV's, tool kits, PS4 Pro's/Xbox One X's, ipads, professional baseball tickets etc.

Retail in the automotive industry... I'll give it a 3/10.

In the next year or so I'm going to get a full time job as web developer. Should pay more than double. And be much more enjoyable!

Originally Posted by Ws6
Hahaha, honestly, I'd rate a 4/10, even as much as I complain, because I get a fair amount of time off and am paid well. Take those away, and I'd disappear from my field before the meeting/email was concluded.

Realistically, nothing will make it better. Nor do I expect it to be.

Ws6, i'm curious, what is your profession?

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Ws6
Hahaha, honestly, I'd rate a 4/10, even as much as I complain, because I get a fair amount of time off and am paid well. Take those away, and I'd disappear from my field before the meeting/email was concluded.

Realistically, nothing will make it better. Nor do I expect it to be.

Ws6, i'm curious, what is your profession?

Medical related. I typically just call it customer satisfaction though, because that's what it truly is. Just make people happy. That's #1.

Happy as a Labrador Retriever in a pickup truck.
41 years of railroading and counting.
Three pension checks a month and a ft job can't be beat.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I forgot to mention the 72F year round in the shop, 5% 401k company match, and we also keep our health and life insurance when we retire. Did I mention it's always 72F?

Originally Posted by pandus13

Just a similar shop, for comparison, about 1-1/2 year ago: one company party per year, hold in the same place you work (mmmm mmmmmm mmmm, food + oil + coolant smell), no drinks, provided cheap safety glasses, pay $50/year for work boots, what bonus... don't get me started on health insurance cost

Our summer part is held onsite, but outside only. They bring in catering, and have fair type food that is all 100% free. Want 3 elephant ears and a slice of cheesecake dipped in chocolate on a stick? Have at it! They also have a free raffle and give out prizes like TV's, tool kits, PS4 Pro's/Xbox One X's, ipads, professional baseball tickets etc.

Free elephant ears ?

What job is this so I can fill out an application.

haha, great to see some happy folks.

I worked for others in my field for decades before a sudden change left me with three young kids (8-10-12) and in need of more income. FAST!

Started my own carpet cleaning biz, branched out to all floors and all furniture, working for expensive carpet stores and interior designers almost exclusively. Do a little teaching on the side, etc.

A solid 10/10 because I work when I want to and I get paid very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back