How happy are you in your profession ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
9/10...if I were paid as I should be, it would be 10/10. I work in R&D designing and testing off highway equipment...what more could an engineer want?!?!?!

9/10. Union semi technicain. High pay, good benefits and I get to retire at 57 with medical insurance. I don't like who the Teamsters think I should vote for and the CDL I gotta maintain despite it being years since I've been in a semi on a public road.

I'd call mine maybe an 8/10.

A better shift rotation would make it better.

Other than that, the pay is high, benefits are OK and I still have a traditional pension and a 401k, etc.

I'm a production tech for a series of cryogenic air separation and hydrogen plants. I'm there to keep them ideally running 24/7/365. It's an unusual job where experienced people are far and few between.

Have been working in the computer industry since the 1970s. Currently am semi-retired and work my own consulting business part time.

It beats a punch in the face.

I'd rate my current situation at 9.5/10.

Mechanical Engineer working in aerospace now. Fantastic pay with yearly raises, flex time and hardly ever work beyond 40hrs a week unless a special project/test is going on. Even then, I get paid for every hour worked and it's not straight salary which is awesome.

Company is very laid back and casual, people are easy to work with. Travel is minimal, just maybe 2-3 times per year which I like. Commute is traffic-free and less than 15 mins driveway to driveway.

Projects are awesome and very interesting, work is rewarding. Looking forward to seeing some of my projects fly up into space in the near and distant future.

Extremely happy with where I am at!

Last edited:
8/10. I'm in IT and while I like it cause it's easy for me, I love problem solving and my current job makes it even better since my boss is the executive VP and doesn't micro-manage me. But I truly wish I was some sort of geologist that goes out on those hikes to gather information or an astrophysicist.

Probably a 6.5/10. I'm a flight operations Project Manager here in DFW. I don't care for living in DFW and the projects I get rarely involve things that I'm actually familiar with, so it's constantly trying to learn a new system/program/whatever on the fly in order to get the project rolling. The good is that I work whatever hours I want with minimal oversight and although I lead teams throughout the project, I don't have any direct reports so I don't have to mess with everything that comes with having people report to you. The pay is fine, although probably less than what I'm worth, and the benefits are probably pretty average. All told, I'd leave if the right opportunity came along but I don't hate my job either.

Could easily see me retiring doing what I do. Maybe or maybe not with this specific company...but definitely in my line of work. I see guys in my profession beyond their retirement age...still kicking butt. The pay is good...actually really good for the area. I work M-F starting 5:30AM and typically work 10-12 hours a day...which is unheard or for my line of work. Seniority pays sometimes.

I was a mason for 20ish years and would give that 9/10, I really enjoyed being able to look at what I had done at the end of the day, great satisfaction. I mainly did commercial work, schools, churches and so on, some industrial work, I helped build an ethanol plant, a Goodyear plant and some work out at the steel mill but I hated residential is why I only gave it an 9.

For the last 13 years I've been in customer service, most people call in frustrated or even mad but by the time the call ends I usually have them satisfied, that it what I get satisfaction from, helping them. But like some I give the job a good score 8/10 but who I do it for gets a 0/10. Ever since the kid came in and took over when dad retired it's been all down hill, no cost of living raises or performance raises laying off people and piling their work load on the rest of us.

My favorite saying has always been "I work to live, I don't live to work". I only have 4 years until I can retire so I will be there until then.

Last edited:
Very happy! It's just myself, another guy and a pre-owned car lot. The only thing that's aggravating is when people want to haggle, which is fine, we'll make deals, but then they don't have the money to back up their offer. If you're broke, don't make offers that you can't back up! Oh well, if that's the worst thing that happens on any given day, I've got it made.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Good to see many folks happy at work.

Agreed. Its accelerating my desire to shift to something else. Apparently 4/10, and then only first the money and time off, is kinda low, lol!

5/10, but it's not because of my particular field (Technology) but the company I work for. They over promise to all their clients, pay is on the lower scale, and management isn't that great. They "forgot" to give me my review last year, and when I repeatedly asked for it they stopped returning my calls/e-mails. Every single review I've received from the clients I've worked for has been outstanding, and I always go above and beyond. The problem is they dump all the work on those who get the work done, with zero reward. I've stuck around for 3.5 years because there were all these claims I could go to Network training and get certifications, yet I've received none of that. It's a bit of a two-fold issue because jobs are harder to come by in my area with so many people and companies leaving the state. The state is the largest employer here, and there are lots of departments with zero budget to hire. I'm thinking I really need to move elsewhere to find a better job. Right now I'm just saving money in order to make that happen.

12 out of 10...I can't believe they are even paying me, yeah, it's that good. It's like Cheers but without the alcohol. People are awesome, that's why over 75% of us here have 30 plus years. Benefits are great, good management support.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
12 out of 10...I can't believe they are even paying me, yeah, it's that good. It's like Cheers but without the alcohol. People are awesome, that's why over 75% of us here have 30 plus years. Benefits are great, good management support.

Good lord, where is this place, and what does it pay?

I'd like to update mine now that I'm not in a bad mood...

10/10

My current situation is a bit aggravating, but it'll be short lived *knock on wood* and in all honesty, we are some of the most spoiled employees in the area.

How spoiled? 2 company parties a year with open bars, 2 bonuses a year, they pay for our work boots and safety glasses (prescription or otherwise), excellent health insurance, etc etc.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I'd like to update mine now that I'm not in a bad mood...

10/10

My current situation is a bit aggravating, but it'll be short lived *knock on wood* and in all honesty, we are some of the most spoiled employees in the area.

How spoiled? 2 company parties a year with open bars, 2 bonuses a year, they pay for our work boots and safety glasses (prescription or otherwise), excellent health insurance, etc etc.

Just a similar shop, for comparison, about 1-1/2 year ago: one company party per year, hold in the same place you work (mmmm mmmmmm mmmm, food + oil + coolant smell), no drinks, provided cheap safety glasses, pay $50/year for work boots, what bonus... don't get me started on health insurance cost

Let's see.....one pair of free work boots per year, free OSHA sunglasses, gloves, winter gear, ice water. New computers. 5% 401k match, great health/life insurance. Somewhat of a pension, I'm still learning all that. Keep health/life insurance when retired. A/C and heated office/desk. All federal holidays off. 26 days of vacation, and then more if you have saved up former hours. 13 days sick leave, and then more if you saved up any former hours. Company truck. Paid travel and hotel if needed. What's NOT to love???

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Let's see.....one pair of free work boots per year, free OSHA sunglasses, gloves, winter gear, ice water. New computers. 5% 401k match, great health/life insurance. Somewhat of a pension, I'm still learning all that. Keep health/life insurance when retired. A/C and heated office/desk. All federal holidays off. 26 days of vacation, and then more if you have saved up former hours. 13 days sick leave, and then more if you saved up any former hours. Company truck. Paid travel and hotel if needed. What's NOT to love???

What do you do? Based on your description of perks I'm baffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back