How happy are you in your profession ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was issued my service number in January 1989, and still carry it.

Love the career so far, and love the job I'm in and the people around me....which is good, as with recent happenings, will be working a lot longer than I had initially planned...

9/10 as I like fixing automobiles. I get to cherry pick or choose what vehicles I want to dive right into. Having 1 month and 7days vacation is a perk. I do hate plowing snow and salting
wink.gif

I would say I float from a 5/10 to an 8/10 from time to time, depends on what rolls into the office that day. As much as my job can drag me down and test me, I am grateful that in the past 13 years I have not had to worry when or where my paycheck is, zero worries about being let go etc. Sure the pay is now lagging far behind comparable municipal sections (I am federal), I have a better pension at least.... But what I do get is freedom to do my job how I see fit (within the rules of course) and I can adjust the schedule as needed. I bomb around in the back country lots, meet people, cruise on quads or sleds when needed. Can be lots of fun.

The best part of my job is that one day I will retire and leave this jazz behind and I can go full tilt into my hobbies. An older brother of mine is working his way out of mechanics. He has spent the last 30 years working on automotive, heavy duty and aircraft. He used to love working on vehicles and pretty much anything mechanical. The fun is long gone and it can be upsetting to him.

Love the company I work for, aggravated with my situation in my current department. My "you'll be moving departments in 2 months!" has turned into 7, while I get to run a machine that refuses to run properly only to be told "it's running fine!"

6/10

I was a software developer for many years. I loved the work. But IT seems to attract social misfits. The politics, backstabbing, passive aggression, just became unbearable. I retired. I have lots of other pursuits to keep me occupied, and I don't miss coding.

The profession probably 8/10, and I realize I'm probably never going to find one that's 10/10 so I'm happy. Pay wise I'd say 6/10.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
9/10 for me.

Healthcare has too many idiots making bad decisions at all levels of any organization (profit / not for profit).

The bigger the organization.... the bigger the problems.

That's for sure. I work for a huge non-profit hospital and see it every day.

I'd rate mine 5/10. Half the days are fine, the other half suck.

Been retired since 2007, but I would give the job I spent 37 years working 8/10.

Been in regulatory compliance for awhile and have learned to really dislike it. Other companies and gov't agencies all up in my business all the time. Love the company I work for though. They've been good to me, have excellent benefits and I can live pretty well on what they pay me. I'm switching to full time traveling IT guy as soon as they hire somebody to replace me and I can get them trained. Once all the company phone and systems upgrades are completed I'll be administering Active Directory for many locations. I'll have to move about 500 miles away by the end of the year. South thank you!

I'm a head teller at a local CU; I like the job, people and less my boss, the job that is 15min away from my residency; all in all, I'd grade it @ 8/10

I'd say it's a floating 5/10-9/10, depending on the day. I only ever wanted to be a mechanic, and I really do work at a great shop. The pay is good, the work is steady, and working for an indy gives me lots of leeway that I wouldn't get at a larger shop.

I have a running joke that I tell people: I could either have been a mechanic or an adult film star, but I hate being on camera. So mechanic it was!

Originally Posted by Imp4
When you reach financial independence, it enables you to make a choice to pursue your passions. Living below one's means is the fastest and only way to achieve lasting financial independence.

Then you get to to do exactly what you want.

A definite 9 for me. I'm the extreme rare bird in this discussion. I followed my passion out of high school and with just a few more years if/when I choose to retire, my list of regrets is very tiny. Instead of waiting for retirement to start living the good life, I've been mostly doing it all-along during the past 45+ years. Part of my satisfaction was the result of not chasing the almighty dollar nor material possessions. Life often throws curve balls that no amount of money will fix. You learn to cope, adapt, and move forward. If you don't, you end up miserable. Ya, so make lemonade when required.

I feel blessed, but nothing was handed to me on a silver platter. I'm glad that I chose the road less traveled in a unique and rewarding career.

Always loved what I did. Always blue collar. Freight train brakeman, truck driver, commuter bus driver. Now retired and I'm loving that too. Always had a union to back me up.

Originally Posted by Imp4
When you reach financial independence, it enables you to make a choice to pursue your passions.
Living below one's means is the fastest and only way to achieve lasting financial independence.

Then you get to to do exactly what you want.

With respect to the original question, I'd put my job satisfaction at a 9+ right now. Interesting, stimulating, rarely repetitive, well paying and I get to travel the world. The only thing that would make it better would be a better home base. I'm running out of patience for cold winters.

Not quite financially independent yet, but getting there.

I have a job that I really like doing, travel the country on my schedule (most of the time), I didn't want to do as much international travel, so I phased myself out of most of it.

It's interesting, challenging, and it pays well enough to keep me satisfied. And I can live just about anywhere I want as long as there's a large airport within a distance I'm willing to drive.

As jobs go, this is a 9+.

I'm not in the work force any more, but when I was I never had full employment in the last 30 or so years that I was.
I was a contractor/consultant in the nuclear industry. At one time or another I was at Savanah River site, Y-12 Oak Ridge Tn, Los Alamos NM, Pantex, Amarillo, Tx and various commercial nuclear Power plants. I owe all this to the US Navy, served on nuclear Submarines. Had a NRC Senior Reactor License. I tried to invest wisely and retired in comfort.
beer3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back