How fast can you tow a log splitter ?

The old, heavy ex-rental splitter I have has 4.80-8s on it, but NO SPRINGS! If the road was perfectly smooth, I might risk 40 MPH, but that's about all. It bounces all over the place on any bumps, forget about potholes! And that's with a BRAND NEW 2" tow coupler & safety chains on it-when I brought it home it got a ride on the trailer!

I think in my state wood splitters count as agricultural equipment and can be towed without a plate. I see it happen often enough and noone bats an eye.

45 MPH is really fast for a log splitter. Think about the size tires and weight distribution of a log splitter.

I wouldn't tow mine over 40mph and probably slower than that. If I need to go far I would put it on a trailer but mine has forklift holes to pick it up.

I think they're really only designed to towed short low speed distances or around properties... No suspension makes these things bounce like crazy, I don't like pulling them and I'm pretty experienced with towing. Definitely put it in a trailer if expecting anything near highway speed

Unfortunately no, there isn’t any suspension on it. I would be towing it with my 19 F150 and it has a camera, but only in reverse. I’ll install the new bearings, races, seals and tires on it later this week. Sounds like anything under 55 should be ok for a reasonable distance, and if it needs to go down the highway, I need to move it with a trailer.
Might it be worth paying ~$25 to rent a Uhaul 9' ramp trailer?

I think they're really only designed to towed short low speed distances or around properties... No suspension makes these things bounce like crazy, I don't like pulling them and I'm pretty experienced with towing. Definitely put it in a trailer if expecting anything near highway speed
I've replaced a LOT of log splitter tires/wheels/bearings for customers who tried to tow them on public roads and hit a pothole. Whenever I move my splitter further than just down the street it is on my 5x8 trailer.

Back