The truth about CVT's (at least Subaru's) and cats

I've always thought that, if I couldn't hear the engine, then I don't care what it's doing. If it's rubber-banding--but I can't hear it--then what do I care? As long as the car goes when I push on the pedal. It's when the sound dampening fails to do its job that engine drone becomes problematic.

I know the main push of using CVTs is for manufacturers to achieve better MPG, but that is also possible with a traditional stepped automatic. Our Jetta gets 30 mpg city with an 8 speed auto. No rubber banding and stellar MPG. I don’t mind some CVT’s, but if I had a choice I’d go stepped auto all the way.

85k isn't many miles.

But that eCVT has about nothing in common with a traditional CVT. ...
Instead an eCVT simply sums the gas engine and electric motor RPM's together and applies that sum to the final drive. If the engine has to run (a/c, cold engine, whatever) then the electric motor spins backwards so as to get a sum of zero. ...
I can agree with your first two sentences there, but the rest is oversimplified, at best.

Exact ratios will vary with brand and model, but in the typical eCVT of the 3rd-generation Prius, a fraction (specifically 2.6/3.6) times the engine torque goes directly to the ring gear, which is geared at fixed ratio to the final drive. Torque of one motor (the one conventionally designated MG2), multiplied by a fixed 58/22 gear ratio, is also added to the same ring gear. The remaining 1/3.6 fraction of engine torque goes to another motor-generator (MG1). When MG1 is spinning "forward," its electrical output power drives MG2, charges the battery, or powers other electrical components or some combination.

In some circumstances, MG1 spins "backward," and energy flows in the other direction, but engine torque is always split between MG1 and the ring gear in the same ratio (even when it's negative).

Last edited:
i buy + drive only manual trannied vehicles these days, but had a few slush boxes in older classic daily drivers, NEVER any tranny issues in any. tested a new 2001 subie small outback back, it seemed tinny after driving a VW golf too slo diesel but bought my second new car in my lifetime a great 2001 wolfsburg jetta that was running great at 200 thou when i traded for a lo mile 2001 audi TT roadster that i still enjoy!!

I can agree with your first two sentences there, but the rest is oversimplified, at best.

Exact ratios will vary with brand and model, but in the typical eCVT of the 3rd-generation Prius, a fraction (specifically 2.6/3.6) times the engine torque goes directly to the ring gear, which is geared at fixed ratio to the final drive. Torque of one motor (the one conventionally designated MG2), multiplied by a fixed 58/22 gear ratio, is also added to the same ring gear. The remaining 1/3.6 fraction of engine torque goes to another motor-generator (MG1). When MG1 is spinning "forward," its electrical output power drives MG2, charges the battery, or powers other electrical components or some combination.

In some circumstances, MG1 spins "backward," and energy flows in the other direction, but engine torque is always split between MG1 and the ring gear in the same ratio (even when it's negative).
Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

But still. There’s nothing actually changing mechanically. No bands sliding on cones, no clutches coming in and out. Anything can break, but an eCVT will not have the same failure mechanisms that CVT’s have.

I don't mind CVT's at all, except Nissan....those ones just don't seem to be right. Our Subaru Ascent works great. There are quite a few people who tow with them and haven't reported issues either. The only annoying thing I find with our Ascent and all manufactures is the simulated shifts. I just want the CVT to do it's thing without trying to be something it isn't, plain and simple. I don't know who in their market research departments find that people want to feel a shift, but I don't think many care. One thing I love about CVT's is interstate driving. No downshifts to feel or major variations in speed, just adjusts as needed for hills.

When I worked at a Toyota dealer I don't recall seeing any issues with the hybrid drivetrains on any vehicle which is a plus. Other than the early CVT's on Subaru I don't believe there have been any failures that I would call common.

CVT in the Civic is spot on always connected..I have no trouble with it...after rowing through a Eaton 10speed all week it's a welcome departure.
I drove trucks for years. and a 10 or 13 speed is the most wonderful driving experience . Mastering the trans is like magic and so cool.. Other than the work part and the long hours I really enjoyed driving a semi truck , probably one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.. I haven't driven one in 22 years and I bet if I tried to drive one today it would be a freak out experience.

Cvt transmissions are made by pure evil in graveyards usings souls of children. And auto trans of any kind are made from people without love in their hearts. I love manual transmissions and know people with love in their heart will agree.
I looked this up. So I am correct.

I own a Nissan Rogue, thanks to being married. I’ve exclusively owned manuals before this Nissan rogue, and I’ll say the car is fine from a driving stand point. But why?? Why does it have a tachometer??? The annoyance of CVT being totally out of my totalitarian urges upsets me. The tachometer is just a reminder I cannot control it. If it were absent, and I alll I had was a blaring radio, I wouldn’t notice the CVT at all.

It’s only got 71k miles, so it could be near death for all I know. I obtained it at 65k and have no idea of its maintenance history. I changed the fluid at 70k. But let me tell you, I BABY this thing out of paranoia. I don’t accelerate hard because I know Nissan CVTs are horrendous!

Back