I had a collision today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: joatmon
Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine

Originally Posted By: joatmon
I would like to comment regarding your brake upgrade.

First, any driver should be aware of his/her vehicle capacities and limitations. You need to drive within the limits of your braking system. My concern is that if you do indeed upgrade your brakes, you may still out drive them.

Until recently, I drove a Suburban. Now that Suburban had very long stopping distances. My wife has an X5 that I drive sometimes and it's brakes are supurb. Know what? I drive these two vehicles in a much different manner keeping in mind the braking characteristics of each.

OK, you had an accident. Sounds like it was avoidable. You were too close to the vehicle in front of you. You couldn't get your Avalon stopped in time. It really doesn't matter if you have ABS or not, or whether the ABS leaves the scene at 30 MPH. The point is, know your vehicle and it's limitations, and drive accordingly.

Safe driving,

Joat

There was no vehicle in front of me until I saw the brake lights. Cars were stopped on the roundabout and tree cover prevented me from seeing them.

Whoa SA!

No one here is your enemy. I see lots of folks giving good, sound advice. Your attitude may go a long way in explaining what happened to you. Please examine your statement: "There was no vehicle in front of me until I saw the brake lights". SA, there WERE cars in front of you, you just didn't see them. Therein lies the problem. You overdrove your sight.

I think if you drop your defensive attitude and reread this thread, you'll go a long way to driving accident free for a long time.

Peace,

Joat

You ignored what had happened when you made your post. I do not have anything against good advice, but I am somewhat tired of reading comments that attempt to give me advice while ignoring what happened.

The entire point of this thread was to get advice on what upgrades I could make to my car that if had been done, would have made the collision less severe rather than to get advice on how my driving style needs to change. I have already learned not to pay believe what the government claims is a safe speed is safe when visibility of the road ahead is poor and judge that for myself. I have also learned never to drive there again as well as to drive on the outer lane in multi-lane roundabouts. The fact that I also want to do vehicle upgrades is not an attempt to avoid making changes to how I drive, rather, it is an attempt to put into place a safety net that will catch any my changes miss and I had hoped that people could help me with that here.

It's a Government conspiracy. They knew you were going to take a different route that day and wanted you to get into an accident. I've worked a lot of traffic collisions in my day and I'll tell you this, just because the "Government" says the speed limit is 45, that doesn't mean that it relieves the DRIVER of the responsibility to recognize and react to potential traffic hazards, in this case, a blind curve.

I ask that you scan and post the page in the vehicle owner's manual where it states the ABS is inactive below 30 mph.

You keep digging yourself a bigger hole here. Really stop posting you have only succeed in making your self look worse.
You rear ended a guy which puts you at fault. Which means you made a mistake it happens learn from it and move on.

This is coming from a guy that was going to fast for the conditions and caused 8 grand of damage to a suv his mom had for less than 2 weeks when he was 17.

Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine

The entire point of this thread was to get advice on what upgrades I could make to my car that if had been done, would have made the collision less severe rather than to get advice on how my driving style needs to change. I have already learned not to pay believe what the government claims is a safe speed is safe when visibility of the road ahead is poor and judge that for myself. I have also learned never to drive there again as well as to drive on the outer lane in multi-lane roundabouts. The fact that I also want to do vehicle upgrades is not an attempt to avoid making changes to how I drive, rather, it is an attempt to put into place a safety net that will catch any my changes miss and I had hoped that people could help me with that here.

You are missing the point. You keep looking for hardware and government fixes for the problem when the only real problem is your driving. Until you understand that and do something about it, you will still have the problem. Millions of people drive lesser vehicles under worse conditions everyday and don't run into things. Grow up.

The world is imperfect, until you accept that and change your behavior accordingly, you are going to continue to have [censored] happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back