Collision Avoidance Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
WASHINGTON—Technology may be providing a cure for that bane of commuting drivers, the rear-end collision in bumper-to-bumper traffic, according to an auto insurance industry-funded study released Tuesday.
The study by the Highway Loss Data Institute found that 2010 Volvo XC60s outfitted with a standard collision avoidance feature called City Safety are far less likely to be involved in low-speed, front-to-rear crashes than other mid-sized SUVs without the system.

Insurance claims that pay for damage to vehicles hit by an at-fault driver were filed 27 percent less often for the XC60 than comparable vehicles, the study said. Bodily injury claims were 51 percent less frequent, it said.

Volvo and other automakers have been offering safety systems aimed at preventing collisions at high speeds for several years. But City Safety is the first system to address more common crashes at speeds of less than 20 miles per hour. It has been standard on XC60s since the 2010 model year. It also is standard on 2011-12 S60 sedans and 2012 model S80 sedans and XC70 wagons.

"This is our first real-world look at an advanced crash avoidance technology, and the findings are encouraging," Adrian Lund, president of institute, said.

"As people grow more aware of the risks of distracted driving, crash avoidance systems like this one can help to ensure that a momentary lapse of attention during a congested commute doesn't result in a crash," Lund said in a statement.

The institute is the research arm of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
The system doesn't involve a warning to the driver that a crash is imminent. Rather, City Safety automatically brakes to avoid a front-to-rear crash. It uses an infrared laser sensor built into the windshield to monitor the area in front of the SUV when traveling at speeds of about 2 mph to 19 mph.

It detects and reacts to other vehicles within 18 feet of the XC60's front bumper during both daytime and nighttime driving. If the speed difference between vehicles is less than 9 mph, the system may enable the driver to avoid some crashes altogether, the study said.

If the difference is between 9 mph and 19 mph, the system may not prevent the crash but will reduce the severity of the damage and injury, the study said. It's not designed to work at speeds above 19 mph.

David Strickland, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said the agency is deeply interested in the potential for crash avoidance technology to significantly improve safety.

"The agency is aware of Volvo's impressive City Safety system and the many other systems that operate at higher speeds and hold the promise of preventing deaths and injuries as well as preventing property damage," Strickland said. "We are pleased to see automobile manufacturers moving forward with new technologies designed to improve safety."

City Safety has some limitations. Fog, heavy rain or snow may limit the ability of the system's infrared laser to detect vehicles. If the sensor becomes blocked by dirt, ice or snow, the driver is advised.

The system is automatically activated when the vehicle ignition is turned on. It can be manually deactivated by the driver.

———

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/usnews/ci_18503798

Under various Oz laws, if the passenger grabs the wheel during movement, including an emergency, they become jointly responsible for the outcome...an over the limit passenger pulling the car out of a head on, and hitting a tree will be found to be a drunk driver etc.

I wonder if the auto makers are prepared to become the joint driver in the event that avoiding a rear ender to the car in front, the auto braking car becomes part of an accident.

A while back, I read some comments from a Volvo spokesperson that the reason they lost their reputation for safety was that they focused on real safety improvements rather than on doing well in synthetic crash tests. Maybe there was something to that.

Sadly, I suspect most people will have no idea whatsoever of the significance that an independent third party is vindicating Volvo's efforts.

That said, of course, I second Shannow's comments...

As the traffic increases, we need to do something about the skill and attention level of the drivers. Most of our states have obsoletely easy licensing requirements and lame anti-texting laws, etc.
I don't think having a computer take over with a canned program is really the answer to the real problem that no one seems to want to address.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
As the traffic increases, we need to do something about the skill and attention level of the drivers. Most of our states have obsoletely easy licensing requirements and lame anti-texting laws, etc.
I don't think having a computer take over with a canned program is really the answer to the real problem that no one seems to want to address.

THANK YOU.
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
I'm thinking of the unintended consequences. Every time the auto industry introduces a safety feature (e.g., stability control, antilock brakes, better suspension), drivers become more emboldened to drive crazier, faster, and take more chances on the road.

I'll never forget a few years ago being rear-ended by a guy driving a brand new GMC pickup. He slid into the rear of my Jeep at about 15mph. No serious damage to me but he lost a headlight lower fascia and grill. First words out of his mouth "I don't get it. It should've. stopped. I got ABS and 4 wheel drive!?!"

I called him some choice words and said "Of course it didn't you (string of explitives). 4WD is ment to keep you driving straight in winter weather and ABS helps you stop in a straight line. Neither of them will make you stop any faster on a street covered in solid ice you (long string of explitives).

So yeah I agree. These supposed safety features turn people into morons who disregard common sense and think safety feature X will solve this problem for me. No need to burn any braincells figuring this out. The car will "fix" it for me.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
One can argue that it is this kind of safety features that have helped bring down road fatalities to its lowest level since the 40-s.

Which, when you consider the ever-increasing number of cars on the road-that's pretty significant.

Funny that you mentioned that. There was a post on priuschat from a guy why had unintended collision avoidance activation a few times on golden bridge in SF. Something to do with radar confused with bridge elements.

it is unnerving when my 08 cherokee decides it wants to do something, like correct oversteer (intentional). for example, if i go into slight oversteer it STOPS THE VEHICLE and leaves me a sitting duck in traffic with the tail hanging out in the road.

Yes, I know, I should adjust and not put the car in that position in the first place. However, it quite reduces, for example, my ability to attack a hill in the snow.

I like ABS-- it can be helpful when well-executed.

BUT, all the nannies prevent the driver from LEARNING where the limit is, as they kick in and take over. I feel like my own driving skills are hindered as I can't get as good a feel for my vehicle.

M

Originally Posted By: meep
it is unnerving when my 08 cherokee decides it wants to do something, like correct oversteer (intentional). for example, if i go into slight oversteer it STOPS THE VEHICLE and leaves me a sitting duck in traffic with the tail hanging out in the road.

Yes, I know, I should adjust and not put the car in that position in the first place. However, it quite reduces, for example, my ability to attack a hill in the snow.

I like ABS-- it can be helpful when well-executed.

BUT, all the nannies prevent the driver from LEARNING where the limit is, as they kick in and take over. I feel like my own driving skills are hindered as I can't get as good a feel for my vehicle.

M

There isn't a button to turn it off??

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I'm sick of Gov't induced crud on cars that adds costs, complexity, and only kinda works sometimes.

01.gif

We are edging backward to the pre-Model T days when only the rich can afford cars like luxury toys. (Rant over)

I have come to appreciate my adaptive cruise control and even, occasionally, the lane departure warning system.

I won't say they make me a more attentive driver, but they do work and are the future, just like the idea of regular cruise control was crazy 50 years ago. The idea of the gas pedal going down without any input from the driver - crazy! Now it is the brake pedal and sometimes steering correction.

The key, in my mind, to making a system like what Volvo has created acceptible is to have it interfere only in a situation where the driver has waited too long and collision is imminent. Some of the higher speed systems are like this, where if the computer doesn't hit the brakes RIGHT NOW, you are going to hit hard. If the computer does hit the brakes, you hit much softer or not at all. These systems should be transparent and drivers should not rely on them. kind of like an airbag - you hope it never gets used.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
One can argue that it is this kind of safety features that have helped bring down road fatalities to its lowest level since the 40-s.

Which, when you consider the ever-increasing number of cars on the road-that's pretty significant.

I also wonder how much is also due to increased medical response technology allowing people to survive to the hospital where they would have been DOA 30 years ago.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
I also wonder how much is also due to increased medical response technology allowing people to survive to the hospital where they would have been DOA 30 years ago.

How dare you use reason and logic on a BITOG discussion.

I still don't understand how people crash new cars. I was beating on a C300 4matic for awhile and you can pretty much floor it and kind of point it in the right direction and it will keep you on the road.

Put it off the road? Seriously how? You would have to be totally stupid or drunk and doing 100 and just drive it off. I know for fun I cranked the wheel hard over at 40 and tried to get it around an icy corner to see if it would do it, and it did! My older Mercedes or truck would have fish tailed and ended up pointing the wrong way in the ditch! On the C300 the lights come on, the motor cuts power and the car figures out how to make it happen. Good tires and AWD certainly help a lot.

I was driving a new S with radar cruise control and the car does a pretty good job even in traffic.

How do people even crash these modern cars? They must just drive them off the road, because they are so forgiving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back