Pre Collision Assist/Automatic Emergency Braking Capability Questions

The following questions are directed to anyone who has these features on their vehicle AND has first hand knowledge of their capabilities and what they can not do. Also, anyone with a Subaru with the Eyesight feature, please chime in.

I have two vehicles in my garage right now with this feature. A ‘21 lease Ford Bronco Sport and a ‘22 Ford Maverick pickup. Questions:

1) Automatic emergency warning/braking works fine for me upon approaching a stationary or slowly turning vehicle in front of me when adaptive cruise control is being used. I’d like to know:
A) Will it work as well without cruise control, or not at all?

B) Will this feature work well enough to avoid a collision at highway speed when a deer, Labrador sized dog or kid crosses the road in front of you? (Assuming the system is preset at maximum sensitivity). Also, what will it do if an oncoming vehicle slowly drifts over the yellow line, into your lane?

C) Is the system effectiveness diminished at night or under foggy conditions?

D) Will the system bring vehicle to a complete stop before collision, if I am traveling 30 mph or less?

E) Finally, I have heard that the Eyesight feature on Subarus gives off multiple nuisance false alarms. True?False? If so, what manufacturer offers the best accident avoidance system?

A lot of questions, I know. With this being Tennessee (Volunteer state). If there is anyone willing to jump out in front of me to answer them, have at it (after signing a waiver). Just kidding.

A: Yes
B: Maybe yes, maybe not always.
C: Not affected by nighttime, fog could affect.
D: It will stop the car, will that be before the impact? TBD. The impact speed will be significantly reduced.
E: No idea.

Read the owners manual, then read it again, because most of this is covered within said manual.

If you read your manual it will say that there may be cases where the system will not activate. So in other words don’t rely on it.

Having said that, right after we purchased our Mazda CX5 a USPS mail truck pulled out right in front of us as we were doing a left hand turn. The system activated faster than I could react. I was impressed.

The following questions are directed to anyone who has these features on their vehicle AND has first hand knowledge of their capabilities and what they can not do. Also, anyone with a Subaru with the Eyesight feature, please chime in.

I have two vehicles in my garage right now with this feature. A ‘21 lease Ford Bronco Sport and a ‘22 Ford Maverick pickup. Questions:

1) Automatic emergency warning/braking works fine for me upon approaching a stationary or slowly turning vehicle in front of me when adaptive cruise control is being used. I’d like to know:
A) Will it work as well without cruise control, or not at all?

B) Will this feature work well enough to avoid a collision at highway speed when a deer, Labrador sized dog or kid crosses the road in front of you? (Assuming the system is preset at maximum sensitivity). Also, what will it do if an oncoming vehicle slowly drifts over the yellow line, into your lane?

C) Is the system effectiveness diminished at night or under foggy conditions?

D) Will the system bring vehicle to a complete stop before collision, if I am traveling 30 mph or less?

E) Finally, I have heard that the Eyesight feature on Subarus gives off multiple nuisance false alarms. True?False? If so, what manufacturer offers the best accident avoidance system?

A lot of questions, I know. With this being Tennessee (Volunteer state). If there is anyone willing to jump out in front of me to answer them, have at it (after signing a waiver). Just kidding.

A) Yes, automatic emergency braking will work without the cruise control as well.

B) No, but it brakes hard but won't help if you're going say, 45mph and a kid runs in front. I do not know about it's capabilities at low speeds. If a vehicle drifts into your lane, mine (CX5) won't brake until the car is half-ish* in front of you within the lines of your lane.

EDIT: But if there's a car taking a right turn and they're almost out of the way but you're still on the gas, mine will brake still.

C) Not in my experience as far as AEB goes. It uses radar so anything physically blocking the radar like really bad rain or built up snow can cause the system to turn off.

D) It smashes down on the brakes. When you say 30 mph, you mean like you're driving 30mph and don't see a car in front of you stopped for a red light? In that case it probably not but it will mitigate the damage. Your foot with constant pressure on the gas pedal is the prime factor here and by the time the system goes "hey you're not stopping", it's too late.

E) I used the Eyesight on my mom's ascent once but that was my first time ever using ACC so I didn't really get to see how the system really worked. I've also used the ACC in the Ford Fusion hybrid and my current CX5 has it. I like the Fusions' ACC more than the CX5. It's smoother when slowing down and maintains a better distance than the CX5 during medium traffic - although having a CVT and hybrid charging probably played a part in the smoothness. I used it driving through i44->i55 in St Louis and I loved it. I won't do that with the CX5, it gets too close for my comfort before slowing down. I noticed in my Mazda, if the difference in your speed and upcoming traffic speed is greater than ~8mph, the system lets you get too close to the car in front before cutting engine power and results in the use of brakes.

Last edited:
Back