Auto-Braking required in 2029

I’d be happy with it as long as it doesn’t false me into a sitting duck on the interstate. I think the mfr’s have had it out long enough to get the real-world scenarios out.

A reverse solution would have been good too? I was reversing into a super tight spot yesterday and lost track of the depths of the parking garage. With the setting sun complicating things, a stray reflection caught my eye and I stabbed the brakes and jerked to a stop 1” from the wall. That day, beeps or otherwise would have been helpful.
One would hope they have the real world worked out, but alas, it's not so. I put my new 2024 Tiguan's "Front Assist" braking on probation in less than 600 miles. Approaching this bridge it brought me to a full, hard stop from about 30 mph. The speed limit on the road is 35 and coming the opposite direction was treated to a rather sharp bump due to the expansion joint. It's best to hit that at, or a bit below the speed limit. I'm guessing the nose dip as I gently braked to drop 10 mph combined with the rising road surface was the source of confusion. Anyway, I got to experience a full panic stop for no reason. The VW does have a "Rear Assist" that as meep hopes, will prove more useful.
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 10.42.49 PM.jpg

Last edited:
NH has no helmet laws for motorcycles. Guess who pays for the vegetable's with severe head injuries from no helmets accidents
That same guy is running from on section 8 apartment to the next, creating welfare babies, eating his girlfriend's SNAP food. I'm paying for his lifestyle in either case. Mandated government "helps" (be it some subsidy system or safety system) are never in the direction of personal accountability.

Last edited:
Given 5 years I think it is a good idea. The cost should be dramatically reduced when the volume is high and patents starting to expire. People used to complain that ABS and backup camera is expensive and now they are on cheap cars without problem. Same for TPMS.

Honestly those parts shouldn't cost OEM more than $200 per car max by the time volume production rolls along, and they should have ways to "calibrate" in repair and warranty work to keep their cost low. One rear ending due to distraction can easily cost you $5k these days. If you can reduce that by 1/3 it can likely break even.

About insurance charging more. They usually charge a single digit percentage over the payout, which is an equation of cost to them (repair per claim x claim percentage). This would increase the cost of repair per claim but also reduce claim percentage. We will find out which direction in the end it would go. My money is betting on the claim percentage drop far more (reduce distraction related rear end) than the extra repair cost per claim (sensor replacement).

This rule is dumb and will cost more lives than it will save. There are times when you need to "push through" an obstacle. Like when you find yourself on a railroad crossing and the bars drop. Or through an angry mob. Or through a snowbank. The list is endless.

Also, these systems are notoriously unreliable. I was invited to a Volvo demo event a few years ago. They had an inflatable figurine set up in the lot. "Accelerate to 30 mph, aim straight for the figurine," they said. Car started braking way too late and ran over the poor blowup dude. Sales rep insisted I did something wrong (of course). Tried it 3 more times. Overall, 50% failure rate. As I walked away from the event, I looked over my shoulder and saw the same thing happening to someone else.

This rule is dumb and will cost more lives than it will save. There are times when you need to "push through" an obstacle. Like when you find yourself on a railroad crossing and the bars drop. Or through an angry mob. Or through a snowbank. The list is endless.
I find this statement non-nonsensical.

Cutting and weaving with auto brakes is an exercise in frustration. As running up on a vehicle to fit into a passing slot is thwarted.
Just turn it off then. Our VW these are all on/off features as have other vehicles I've driven with them.

I don’t know anyone who ever said their seatbelt malfunctioned.

I personally was involved in a low speed accident because the malfunctioning ABS in my truck refused to just let the brakes work despite me standing on the pedal and only going about 5mph. Now the power to the ABS unit has been disconnected and I have real brakes again.
I had a Jeep do that in 2002. ABS was removed shortly after.

Early systems tend to be junk. Just the way it is. Takes time to get it right.

Not a fan. But. Inevitable.

Autobrake works pretty seamlessly on my HAH.
Anyone should be able to grasp how this will reduce accidents as well as injuries and even lost lives.
No, these systems if properly designed don't brake for no reason and don't prevent close lane changes.
Most rear end collisions are the result of the following driver losing attention for only a moment, whether from their phone, the kids they have in the car or their looking at a pretty girl on the sidewalk.
Autobrake will mitigate those events.
Autobrake will also serve to mitigate the impacts from those simply driving too fast to stop before running into the vehicle ahead of them.'
Most new vehicles are now equipped with these systems anyway, so making them universal seems like not mush of a leap.

Back