Auto-Braking required in 2029

I think it’s foolish to argue “against” safety belts, ABS, stability, airbags.

But I do have one gripe. On my manual car, I hate the hill holder feature. The rear brakes grab for x ms on every takeoff. Unless I keep my foot off the brake when taking off. I believe this and the stability control result in the rear brakes lasting barely more than 50% of the fronts…
Even my Sportwagen has this with the dual-clutch auto. I had an '89 Subaru wagon that had this as well. I like it just takes getting used to. On my VW, you lift off the brake and it holds for about 3-4 seconds UNLESS you touch the gas then it just goes so should be unobtrusive with a stick. And yeah, how do you argue about safety stuff...but this is BITOG so well..yeah...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
Insurance companies are gonna be happy. Vehicle msrp goes up and the crashes go down so they'll be paying less and we know they'll keep those higher rates to line their pockets.
Agreed on the happy part. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who pushed this through, same as seat belt laws years ago.

Last edited:
Agreed on the happy part. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who pushed this through, same as seat belt laws years ago.
Oh yeah i forgot about that. They never lowered rates from what i heard and if you didn't have a seatbelt when pulled over or drove in a car without one they used that to justify raising your rates because they now considered you higher risk. Now that new cars will have it older cars without it will likely get a bump. Given that it'll become a mandated thing it could become part of inspection since it'd be easy to argue that it's necessary for it to work for a car to be safe and road legal and if you get in a crash and it's found that a code was stored before the collision your insurance could and probably will punish you for it and who knows they could even deny coverage because you didn't fix your mandated anti collision equipment immediately.

Interesting when we say “happy.” My bro is a SVP in the industry and their pay is high, their hours are short, their benefits are off the hook. Ex 10 years and an addl 20 days off. But people job hop and seem not to care about the bennies. So when we say happy, it’d be curious to see if people, or a faceless entity, is happy. They do have money. Look at the sports Endorsements. Wouldn’t it be great if their interests were aligned with policyholders.

My mom called her carrier in 2020 it was a regional one in Ma about getting a discount since no one was driving. She was told we don’t do that can’t afford to lol

Where I work there is 50/40/30/20 year tenure and hours are long lol

Mostly because I believe in personal accountability. I should be able to choose autonomous features on a car. It shouldn't be mandated.

Mandates are a way for .gov followers to choose what is best for other people. I'll choose what's best for me. You can choose what's best for you.
NH has no helmet laws for motorcycles. Guess who pays for the vegetable's with severe head injuries from no helmets accidents

NH has no helmet laws for motorcycles. Guess who pays for the vegetable's with severe head injuries from no helmets accidents
IIRC that goes for Florida too. When my father was in the hospital a guy in his late 40's was in the bed next to him. I got to know him from visiting my father everyday. This guy was waiting for a kidney transplant. One day after he came back from dialysis we were talking and got on the topic of organ donors. He said the most organs came from motorcycle accidents in Florida. I never fact checked it but I can believe it.

The trim level for the HL has emergency auto-braking; a Pre-Collision System (PCS) and a Parking Support Brake (PKSB), provided they're turned on.

Untitled_51.jpg
Untitled_52.jpg

Bad idea…..already seen a few failures of this. Plus, it does nothing for the older cars to plow into you……
Like anything else. It may save 100 lives at the loss of one..if that. Nothing is perfect. Auto braking is a godsend.
Mostly because I believe in personal accountability. I should be able to choose autonomous features on a car. It shouldn't be mandated.

Mandates are a way for .gov followers to choose what is best for other people. I'll choose what's best for me. You can choose what's best for you.
The gov. calls the shots with vehicle standards. Driving is not a "right"

Reactions: Pew
I’d be happy with it as long as it doesn’t false me into a sitting duck on the interstate. I think the mfr’s have had it out long enough to get the real-world scenarios out.

A reverse solution would have been good too? I was reversing into a super tight spot yesterday and lost track of the depths of the parking garage. With the setting sun complicating things, a stray reflection caught my eye and I stabbed the brakes and jerked to a stop 1” from the wall. That day, beeps or otherwise would have been helpful.

Like anything else. It may save 100 lives at the loss of one..if that. Nothing is perfect. Auto braking is a godsend.

The gov. calls the shots with vehicle standards. Driving is not a "right"

My only worry with this is the possible failure rate. Hoping they improve on the current versions. Otherwise, I think it does offer value to save lives…..

I already won't buy anything newer than 2018 with the mandated backup camera. I have eyes, ears, and a brain and they still work. This will likely cause more low speed rear end collisions if anything.

So a lot of misconceptions on this thread. I can try to outline how our 2019 Toyota Safety Sensing 2.0 system works - or claims it works. We have had no issues. I think there at 3.0 now, so should be even better.

First - yes I have had it go off when someone cuts me off on the interstate. But it doesn't slam to a stop. It beeps and does a quick decel - but stops once the desired distance has been reached. That distance is configurable via controls on the steering wheel - 3 settings. Its essentially using them for the radar cruise control.

The system does not work until you have reached a certain speed - I want to say either 9mph or 15mph - so zombies standing in front won't stop you from moving forward. However once activated in a safety occurrence it will come to a complete stop if needed.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a manual trans. In an emergency it could cut engine power and the brakes should be enough to overpower the engine.

So a lot of misconceptions on this thread. I can try to outline how our 2019 Toyota Safety Sensing 2.0 system works - or claims it works. We have had no issues. I think there at 3.0 now, so should be even better.

First - yes I have had it go off when someone cuts me off on the interstate. But it doesn't slam to a stop. It beeps and does a quick decel - but stops once the desired distance has been reached. That distance is configurable via controls on the steering wheel - 3 settings. Its essentially using them for the radar cruise control.

The system does not work until you have reached a certain speed - I want to say either 9mph or 15mph - so zombies standing in front won't stop you from moving forward. However once activated in a safety occurrence it will come to a complete stop if needed.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a manual trans. In an emergency it could cut engine power and the brakes should be enough to overpower the engine.
Likely same folks in this thread that need help at work opening .pdfs.

If the car can detect and avoid collisions, can we un-mandate the crumple zones, airbags, antilock brakes, seatbelts, padded dashes, etc.

Can we just mandate people put their cell phones down?

I had a rental Altima a few weeks back. We got a little rain. I suppose it got on the sensor. The car alerted me that it couldn't "see" in front of me and forward collision systems were off.

Likely uses a camera behind the windscreen

I already won't buy anything newer than 2018 with the mandated backup camera. I have eyes, ears, and a brain and they still work. This will likely cause more low speed rear end collisions if anything.
I wonder how it would work driving into NYC during rush hour when a 20 mile trip can and has taken me 3 hours, with morons doing insane low speed maneuvers, cutting off, jockeying for position with zero consideration, tailgating then slamming on brakes. I bet the system will get a workout, hopefully in 2029 when it becomes mandated it can be shut off, or work w/o driving the car owner insane.

Back