Proposal for Regulations on Brake Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Affinia has motives for doing this-- they sell both low-end and higher-end brake rotors, and this could help them sell more rotors by portraying themselves a company that cares.
wink.gif

As much as I dislike more government control, this may actually be a good idea. Considering the questionable quality of many eBay rotors, this could potentially save some lives.

Quote:
Affinia Group has filed a petition requesting the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to begin rulemaking toward adoption of a first-ever Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for brake rotors.

Earlier this month, Affinia settled the false advertising lawsuits it filed against Dura International and CRW Inc. The parties agreed to resolve their differences by entering into mutual consent judgments, which prevent them from advertising that their rotors meet or exceed original equipment performance standards unless they possess scientifically reliable and objectively verifiable engineering tests. As a result of the settlement, Dura is no longer a target of Affinia's lightweight rotor campaign.

The petition for a safety standard is the latest step in Affinia's ongoing public awareness campaign to bring to light important safety issues affecting aftermarket auto parts and to push for effective action where necessary. The new Safety Standard that Affinia seeks from NHTSA would require all rotors sold in the United States to meet minimum performance standards for structural strength and crack-resistance under rigorous laboratory testing. No such mandatory standard exists in the U.S. today, although rotors are a critical component of a vehicle's most important safety feature, its brake system.

The proposed rule would also for the first time require rotors to be stamped with identifying markings, including a "DOT" (U.S. Department of Transportation) symbol representing the manufacturer's certification that the part meets the new standard.

"This is what we call a 'life and limb' issue," said Terry McCormack, president and CEO of Affinia Group. "There are no components more integral to motorist protection than brake rotors. American drivers have a right to expect such critical links in the safety chain to perform when it counts."

Besides the NHTSA petition, Affinia's Public Awareness Campaign, launched in mid-2008, has included scientific investigation, public awareness statements and education efforts, lobbying for support from industry organizations and presentation of laboratory test findings to appropriate government officials.

Affinia noted that it is not alone in this public awareness initiative. The Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA) has issued its own call to action to the industry through its "Know Your Parts" campaign: http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/knowyourparts.php. Affinia applauds the trade group's efforts.

Here is why Affinia felt its campaign was necessary: Until recently, manufacturers of replacement brake parts consistently designed and built their products to match the design specifications and to meet or exceed the performance and durability of the Original Equipment parts that they were meant to replace. Meeting or exceeding OE specifications thus came to be understood by consumers and auto technicians alike as the de facto standard for replacement brake parts.

Unfortunately, within the last year and a half, a number of companies have been importing and distributing aftermarket brake rotors that are lighter, thinner and cheaper than their OE counterparts. Affinia says it also has identified numerous instances in which importers or distributors of lightweight rotors have falsely asserted in advertising or on their Internet sites that the rotors meet OE specifications and performance levels. The end users of these rotors — retail do-it-yourself customers and technicians who work in vehicle repair shops — have no way of knowing that such assertions are not accurate. Thus, they often will select a replacement rotor based on price, on the assumption that all replacement rotors provide an adequate level of performance, durability and safety.

Affinia says it believes that the only appropriate remedy for this significant public-safety risk is a federal standard that all rotors must meet. Over the years, the automotive industries of North America and Europe have developed separate, but roughly comparable, laboratory testing procedures and criteria for rating the strength and crack-resistance of brake rotors. Affinia would in general prefer adoption of the stricter European criteria, but believes that even adoption of the domestic standards would be welcome because, as the company said in its petition to NHTSA, they "would assure that the worst offenders among lightweight rotors could no longer be sold in this country."

A link to the petition can be found at the Affinia website: www.affiniagroup.com.

http://www.autocarepronews.com/Article/6..._standards.aspx

Frankly, regardless of what I think of other government policies, I think that having more government mandated and enforced safety standards is an excellent idea, and should be practiced more, especially in a time where alot of cheap products that people buy are chinese made, with little to no quality control or safety testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
What are the arguments against?

It might increase the cost of the brake rotors, don't know.

At the same time, I'm not sure if it's really a problem either. I don't see brake rotors crumbling and flying off cars at a rapid rate.

I still think personal injury lawyers would get vendors of inferior products pretty squarely. If not the overseas foundry, the big name parts store that sells them.

Could set up a situation where to get "certified" takes $$$ only the big boys have. (Amsoil's excuse for not API-ing most of their stuff)

Quote:
As much as I dislike more government control, this may actually be a good idea.

Interesting. I kind of a agree with you here.

Relates to the new agency that wants to monitor oil quality control. Apparently there are quite a few "off spec" oils on the market.

I think it is a good idea. I learned the trade of Automotive Technician in Germany and like the higher standards. It protects people from low grade junk coming in from China. I have nothing against China but let them make a qaulity part that is a clone of the OEM instead of playing games with thiner rotors with more empty space between the front and rear face to make the outside diemensions correct. Rotor are cast part and they are not high tech or costly for a production car baring a few exotics out their. The cost difference is not that great. I have never gone with high end rotors but I am picky. I normaly look for OEM type products from names I trust like Brembo,Rayspestose,TRW etc.........I do not care what name they are sold under or where they are made as long as they are decently made. I have seen USA and Canadian made rotors that where junk and Chinese ones that where great! It all depends on what standard they are being held to and what the purchaser or importer is asking for. All places build to the price point you ask for!

what about an industry based quality standard like D3EA. Just what we need is more gov't bureaucracy surrounding cars and parts and people lining up to vote in a "good idea".

If we are going to regulate for higher quality, how would it help to have restrictions based on country of origin? That's a total non-sequitur.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I "hope" they make this "change"....lol

I see what you did there.

If we are going to regulate for higher quality, how would it help to have restrictions based on country of origin? That's a total non-sequitur.

You really don't know know how the "laws" in Japan work, do you?

Rules can and are enforced by country of origin.....not necessarily out in the open.....

But my comment was t-i-c.

27.gif
crackmeup2.gif

lol

But no, may be a good idea. I hate more government but this doesnt seem to bad.

I see what you did there.

SHHHHHH...you'll get me in trouble.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You really don't know know how the "laws" in Japan work, do you?

Rules can and are enforced by country of origin.....not necessarily out in the open.....

Oh, I'm fully aware. That doesn't make it reasonable.
55.gif

And I know you weren't really serious. I was just arguing in case someone took your comments at face value.

All kidding aside some standards should be in place.

In a separate report, Jingxia Flying Horse rotor company today announced their rotors are stamped with identifying markings, including a "DOT" (U.S. Department of Transportation) symbol representing the manufacturer's certification that the parts meet the yet to be released standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back