My thoughts on the Lady Friend's 2015 Fusion with 175k, 2.5L N/A engine.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
I offered to do a pre-winter check of fluids ect.
I checked the oil level and looked at the color on the paper towel. It was down 2/3 qt and the oil still had a deep red tinge on the stick and the paper towel. I topped off the oil with Valvoline 5w-30 syn I had in the garage. This oil has an unknown number of miles on it.(most likely 5-6k). The brake fluid and coolant were both full. The coolant was a bit cloudy but still plenty of orange. Probably original coolant. The car did receive a full brake job with rotors earlier this year. Topped off the windshield washer fluid which was nearly empty.

This car has been amazing. Starts easy, no engine vibrations to be felt. The tranny shifts nice and smooth with no flaring. The car still rides very nicely. Gladly she will be getting a new vehicle soon. But my overall feelings is this has been a great car for her.

Fusion’s with a 2.5 are still a good way to get a cheaper yet reliable car. I just put brakes on a friend’s ‘12 with 260k on it. My commuter car is currently a ‘10 Fusion with 130k on it.

Those engines are considered bulletproof. I know the 6F35 transmission gets a bad rap (ours lasted 155k miles with zero issues when we sold it) but you never hear issues with those car's when the 2.5L and 6F35 are combined either.

I love the Duratec 2.5, and really any of the MZR based engines. I'd encourage your lady friend to hang on to the car after she gets a new one. Dealer isn't going to give her squat on trade in for it, and it would make a great backup/road trip vehicle if you have the space for it.

I love the Duratec 2.5, and really any of the MZR based engines. I'd encourage your lady friend to hang on to the car after she gets a new one. Dealer isn't going to give her squat on trade in for it, and it would make a great backup/road trip vehicle if you have the space for it.
The Duratec 2.0 is highly regarded as well.

Reactions: D60
When my dad needed a new car a few years ago, He wanted an Escape, I made sure he got one with the 2.5L and not any of the Ecoboost time bombs. My uncle's 2000 S10 developed a hole in the gas tank and he took it to a shop and they decided the frame and everything on it was too rusty to warrant doing any work on it, so I've been on the lookout for another 2.5L Escape because I think he's interested in another small truck or crossover SUV, you know something that a bigger guy in his 60s can actually get in and out of.

Two high mileage EcoBoost Fusions in my immediate family as well as a high mileage EcoBoost Escape all have been great. But the 2.5 would still be preferred if extreme longevity was the goal, in fact I intentionally hunted one down when I bought my daughter her car. A 2016 Fusion that has been fantastic, but it is only at 110k so lots left in it.

There are so many Fusions running around in the Midwest you can’t help but wonder what Ford was thinking when they dumped them.

There are so many Fusions running around in the Midwest you can’t help but wonder what Ford was thinking when they dumped them.

2015 Focus hatch owner here. Purchased new and is still one of the best and most reliable cars I've ever owned. It was truly a sad day when Ford exited the car/sedan market.

Next door neighbor has an '07 Fusion with 47k that she bought new and has been over maintained by the Ford dealer. Someday she won't be driving anymore, if we wanted a sedan....

but we don't. Great car though, deep blue with light interior, 4cyl.

What does over maintained mean? :)

That Fusion has been good to you. I hate cutting loose good cars.

Holding on to the Fusion would results in stretching her budget for the double expenses. Her resources are finite. AKA living month to month.

Karen will be coming into about $40k. So she can outright pay for a new car. If she doesn't outright buy something the kids, grandkids and great grandkids will slowly drain her cash.. She has a soft heart, she has said those exact words several times.

I believe these engines were made by Mazda for Ford. These engines were shared in Ford and Mazda vehicles for many years. 196K on the 2.5 MZR in my Mazda 6. Doesn’t burn a drop of oil. Runs great.

Those engines are considered bulletproof. I know the 6F35 transmission gets a bad rap (ours lasted 155k miles with zero issues when we sold it) but you never hear issues with those car's when the 2.5L and 6F35 are combined either.
I do know that when she was working full time, she had the tranny fluid D&F a couple times. At what mileage, i don't know.

Back