I'll keep it another 18 months.

I believe it.

I don't know the fluid maintenance procedure for a 6F35 like this escape has, but your standard CUV/SUV/Crossover owner doesn't even think about changing transmission fluid.

IMO, waiting until ~60K miles is too long for most of them.
6F35 is a “lifetime fill” according to Ford. It seems most of the ones that last the longest have fluid changes around 50k intervals, but resetting the shift logic periodically seems to help as well. While not a fix for dirty fluid, it does make the trans correct the clutch applications and shift pressures. 🤷‍♂️

I owned a 2012 Fusion from about 19k to almost 140k, did a 4x D&F and reset the shift logic just before 100k, and the lady I sold it to is still driving it 4 years later on the Amsoil I installed.

The only real independent transmission rebuilder in the area has a field full of CUV/SUV/Crossover type vehicles (Think Toyota RAV4 and Ford Escape) waiting on repair.

The only actual cars he seems to get in for repair are antiques and there are a fair number of pickups there as well.

So I think the myth that crossovers never need a transmission is just a myth.

This visual can be misleading, Those cars sitting there could have been abandoned by the owners. I rarely build a unit for crossover SUV or a sedan. GM 6T units & Ford 6F units which are related to each other will normally put a vehicle in the scrap yard......Or cause an owner to second guess their decision to have it fixed.

Pick-up's/Fullsize SUV's & Classic Car owners are more likely to pay the bill when completed. Shop owners discuss this amongst each other all the time when it come to major repairs.

Say someone brings in a raggedy 300,000 mile 2002 Monte Carlo, It needs the 4T65E rebuilt. I'm going to want my projected parts cost & labor cost up front. If it gets abandoned here.....At least I'll break even.

Now a clean 2002 Silverado on the other hand needing a 4L60E....No down money required, I dare them to abandon it!!

Last edited:
Nearly 4k for a new transmission means you're in it for at least another 50-100k.
Argue the miles of this vehicles "next chapter" as things develop. What also will develop is the flow and availability of cars you want. You paid good green to keep out of a market. Don't rush into something foolish (making a car decision based on ApplePlay)

This visual can be misleading, Those cars sitting there could have been abandoned by the owners. I rarely build a unit for crossover SUV or a sedan. GM 6T units & Ford 6F units which are related to each other will normally put a vehicle in the scrap yard......Or cause an owner to second guess their decision to have it fixed.

Pick-up's/Fullsize SUV's & Classic Car owners are more likely to pay the bill when completed. Shop owners discuss this amongst each other all the time when it come to major repairs.

Say someone brings in a raggedy 300,000 mile 2002 Monte Carlo, It needs the 4T65E rebuilt. I'm going to want my projected parts cost & labor cost up front. If it gets abandoned here.....At least I'll break even.

Now a clean 2002 Silverado on the other hand needing a 4L60E....No down money required, I dare them to abandon it!!
This explains why all my AT vehicles ended up manual transmission swapped

I actually see very few GM Trax at the transmission place (I don’t think I’ve seen one there) but Ford, Honda, Nissan, Toyota yes, all must have bad years.

Now my VW automatic was definitely a buy new or scrap unit. Couldn’t even swap an mt in there without a full front end

Back