Woke up the Grand Marquis !

Was at the junkyard back in November looking for some parts for a friend and caught a Panther HPP basketweave wheel out of the corner of my eye. Wandered over and saw there was a wrecked 1999 Marquis GS with the HPP package. Opened the door, checked on the trans code and it had a 3.55 open differential.

The car was hit HARD in the rear and the fenders were jamming the wheels. Driveshaft wasn't folded and tailshaft/housing on the transmission were still fine, so I figured I'd take the gamble on the axle not being bent. It only had 80k miles, so way less than mine.

Took some work and swaptronics to get it in my car. Still don't have the speedo working right ... Apparently an orange speedo gear is right for a 3.55 1999, but on a 2001, it's for 3.27 gears. I'm waiting on the speedo gear that USPS lost.

These cars should have all come from the factory like this! It can get up and move now! Still not fast, but at least it can bet our 1.8L/ CVT Sentra to 60 and I'm able to get to speed on onramps easily. I can even light up the tires now on dry pavement :devilish:

I believe this car has some sort of JMOD done when the transmission was rebuilt at some point. But it works reallll well.

It does need a tune. The computer is programmed to shift out of first at 53MPH at WOT. The problem is, it is no longer capable of that so it'll sit at the rev limiter at like 48 until I let off, then it shifts. I just won't floor it. The speedo gear won't help that problem.

Fuel mileage ( calculating for the inaccurate speedometer) is exactly the same in my daily commute.

Back in the day, I used to have an 87 Mustang GT with automatic and 2.73 gears. As anemic as it was, at least it got 30MPG on long highway runs. Then I upgraded it to 3.73s and it took a whole second off the 1/4 mile times (verified at dragstrip). Went from 15.9 seconds to 14.9 seconds. Then I added one of those Ram Air Kits (can't remember the brand anymore, they were popular in the late 1980s). And crazy enough, it took another .3 seconds off. But I think my highway MPG dropped to around 24-25.

Gears are good.

Back in the day, I used to have an 87 Mustang GT with automatic and 2.73 gears. As anemic as it was, at least it got 30MPG on long highway runs. Then I upgraded it to 3.73s and it took a whole second off the 1/4 mile times (verified at dragstrip). Went from 15.9 seconds to 14.9 seconds. Then I added one of those Ram Air Kits (can't remember the brand anymore, they were popular in the late 1980s). And crazy enough, it took another .3 seconds off. But I think my highway MPG dropped to around 24-25.

Gears are good.
Yeah i wish both my suv's were 2.73. I don't tow just cruise.

Gears are good.
Amen to that!

My first BMW had an open diff had a 2.93. When paired with the 5 speed, it was ok, but nothing to get excited about.
The next one had the LSD and 3.73, also with the 5 speed.
Totally transformed the driving experience!

Very cool story. Enjoy it.
How many miles on yours?
150,700 currently!

Hoping to get it to 200k miles.
Lower ratio rear end gears really can make a huge difference. Glad it worked out for you.

Yup! I regeared my Jeep from 3.55 to 4.88 and it did wonders! Granted, it's on 35'' tires now, but it's effectively geared lower than it was from the factory. Even with 2 transmission coolers, when rock craling with the factory gears it would get so warm it would spit fluid out of the dipstick and vents! With the lower gears, I can comfortable touch the trans cooler while rock crawling ... and the floors are cooler.

will it chirp 1st-2nd @ wot?
It would do that even with the 2.73 gears. It has a very firm shift 1-2 and 2-3.

Now, the computer is programmed to shift out of 1st at a speed the engine's not capable of so it'l ljust sit at the rev limiter trying to get to 53. But if I let off a bit, it'll bark on the shift still.

Nice! Always figured if I wound up with a Vic, regearing was going to be a must. Between limited slip for winter driving and just being able to get out of its own way, I figured, I'd find a way to justify it.

Gears are good.
Im my street racing days I chewed up many of those mustangs with a hopped up Toyota pickup with a 20R.. I had a cam, carb,hedder5 speed and 4.30 gearing. Used to suprise the mustangs owner.

The standard gearing in my Jeep was 3.08 but 3.73 was an option. I got the 3.73 on purpose.

My GMT400 had 3:42 oe, changed to 4:10 and eventually ended up with 3:73 as the best compromise for towing, off road and hwy with the 700R.

Nice! Always figured if I wound up with a Vic, regearing was going to be a must. Between limited slip for winter driving and just being able to get out of its own way, I figured, I'd find a way to justify it.

03 or 04 had the addition of a knock sensor and have a decent amount more power and torque, and a bit lower than my non-knock sensor PI engine. I think if I had one of those I'd go for 3.27, I've driven a 2009 with 3.27 gears and it still felt quicker than this.

Im my street racing days I chewed up many of those mustangs with a hopped up Toyota pickup with a 20R.. I had a cam, carb,hedder5 speed and 4.30 gearing. Used to suprise the mustangs owner.

The standard gearing in my Jeep was 3.08 but 3.73 was an option. I got the 3.73 on purpose.

So it has the rear 44 (non rubicon)? We had a 2001 with 3.73 gears and it came with a 44 rear.

Ha-ha....my dad had a 1970 Mercury Marquis w/400-2V and a 1.75 rear end.

Wow! Bet that would go 65 down the highway in 1st gear!

But a pre-smog 400 probably had the power to pull those gears. These 2 valve modulars just do not have the low end torque for tall gearing.

I had a 71 red 340 Plymouth Duster that had a 3:23 and I switched it to a 4:56 rear end and added quite a few bolt ons. 13.75 ET's in the quarter mile at 100 mph. It's not that fast in today's world but back then I could spank a lot of other cars.

Put a few hundred miles on it this weekend towing my 4 wheeler. Really impressed with how well it did - way better than expected!

Not only was I able to use overdrive, but it used overdrive easily. In the rolling hills on NY49, I could easily maintain 55 and even accelerate without a ton of throttle and unlocking of the torque converter. Was getting about 19MPG according to the computer. Usually towing the ATV is only about 13 or so.

Even going across the tug hill plateau, it was able to hold overdrive without much throttle at all. A few of the really steep hills I did end up having to lock out overdrive, but that's going to be expected for the size of the hill.

What really surprised me was when I hopped on the highway. MPG shot up to 20 at 70 MPH. That never happened before with the 4 wheeler . What's odd is ... with the factory gearing in 3rd it's cruising at 2400 RPM, with the 3.55s in overdrive it's cruising at 2200RPM at 70. Not sure why I got much better fuel economy this time? The difference at 55 is 1300RPM to 1700 RPM ... that makes sense because I don't think a 4.6 makes more than 20 ft/lb at 1300 RPM 😂😂 ... seriously, these engines have absolutely nothing below 2000 or so.

Either way - pretty happy with it overall! It may end up towing an enclosed small trailer to PA with the 4 wheeler at some point. I'm pretty confident that the car will do it.

Here's a picture ... these rear springs are awful. Moog cargo coils with doubled up insulators. I had the ATV all the way back and was still on the bump stops most of the way. May look into airbags?
1716985938213.jpg

150,700 currently!

Hoping to get it to 200k miles.
You should have no problem getting to 200K miles. I had a 99 Grand Marquis until Hurricane Wilma destroyed it when the roof of my condo plus a/c units fell on it. At the time it had 190K miles. Had zero issues with it.

Also had a 2005 Crown Vic and kept that till 300K miles. Only issues were water pump [at180K miles and A/C work at 200K miles]. No other issues.

There will never ever be a super low maintenance vehilcle like the 4.6 Panther ever again.

You should have no problem getting to 200K miles. I had a 99 Grand Marquis until Hurricane Wilma destroyed it when the roof of my condo plus a/c units fell on it. At the time it had 190K miles. Had zero issues with it.

Also had a 2005 Crown Vic and kept that till 300K miles. Only issues were water pump [at180K miles and A/C work at 200K miles]. No other issues.

There will never ever be a super low maintenance vehilcle like the 4.6 Panther ever again.
What a monster storm that was - if it had taken another path - the devastation would have been unthinkable …

We have airbags on our Bolt and the difference towing a ~1,900 lb teardrop trailer is night and day in terms of handling and ride quality.

View attachment 223702

Depending on the truck situation, I'll probably go that route. I was hoping to be back in a truck by now and not using the Marquis for toting stuff around. The biggest issue is there's 37 miles of car behind the rear axle and any bit of tongue weight just overwhelms the springs.

How does the bolt do towing? I was strongly considering an EV recently and the Bolt was #1 on my list. Really the most practical EV on the market when it was for sale IMO.

Back