Any reason Honda would deny warranty coverage on this 2019 Civic R transmission?

Go in, mention your issue, you just got the car and you believe it's under warranty.

Worst case you pay some labor but youll know definitively if they will cover it or not.

Why play what ifs here? Just hit the dealer and see.

The two Honda dealers I worked for would more than likely deny a warranty claim. They'd blame lowering the vehicle and the wheel tire combo, they might even try and blame the clutch job. I saw more than my fair share of Civic SI owners sent on their way with transmission warranty claims, one I recall having wider than stock tires, and lowered, but in great shape and not abused imo. As already mentioned some dealerships are better than others. I would certainly give it a shot, no matter what anyone here thinks, but I have my doubts it will be covered.

Edit to add: I would make sure it costs me nothing to find out if they're going to cover the repair or not. An honest service writer will let you know upfront if the wheel/tire combo and lowering the vehicle is going to be a problem or not. They can also hook up a scanner and get info from the ECM which might be of value as well, w/o tearing into the car. Worst case you pay a minimum diagnostic fee, which I'd think they'd waive.

Last edited:
The two Honda dealers I worked for would more than likely deny a warranty claim. They'd blame lowering the vehicle and the wheel tire combo, they might even try and blame the clutch job. I saw more than my fair share of Civic SI owners sent on their way with transmission warranty claims, one I recall having wider than stock tires, and lowered, but in great shape and not abused imo. As already mentioned some dealerships are better than others. I would certainly give it a shot, no matter what anyone here thinks, but I have my doubts it will be covered.

Edit to add: I would make sure it costs me nothing to find out if they're going to cover the repair or not. An honest service writer will let you know upfront if the wheel/tire combo and lowering the vehicle is going to be a problem or not. They can also hook up a scanner and get info from the ECM which might be of value as well, w/o tearing into the car. Worst case you pay a minimum diagnostic fee, which I'd think they'd waive.

Would these reasons hold up if the issue was escalated?

https://www.autocare.org/government-relations/current-issues/Magnuson-Moss-Warranty-Act

"a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided."

I would agree, but what would they base that on?
I think the center of gravity may be missed in this thread.

The biggest issue is the service writer, who compensation is commissioned based, gets zero commission from a warranty job.

I suspect thousands of times per day jobs that may qualify for warranty repair are not covered by the warranty, so the service writer can make commission.

So the challenge may not be is the repair covered by warranty, but can you find a service writer willing to cover the repair with warranty.

https://www.autocare.org/government-relations/current-issues/Magnuson-Moss-Warranty-Act

"a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided."
We've beaten the MM horse around here too. Here's the rub, many dealers don't care, the car sits until a judge orders the dealer to do something. That usually means, not always though hiring a lawyer to go to battle. Some win, some lose, and many owners give up along the way. If the dealer digs in the problem is not going to go away on its own. Looking at the car, reading the story, and knowing the dealers I worked for the OP has a battle on his hands, jmo. Once again, the fighter in me says try!

Last edited:

I had a emission repair denied on my 2019 f350. They claimed the emissions heater damage was from off road use, which was nuts. They wanted $1100 USD for the repair.

I pulled my truck out of there quickly, bought the oem part for $100 USD, and replaced the heater in under 20 minutes.

I think the center of gravity may be missed in this thread.

The biggest issue is the service writer, who compensation is commissioned based, gets zero commission from a warranty job.

I suspect thousands of times per day jobs that may qualify for warranty repair are not covered by the warranty, so the service writer can make commission.

So the challenge may not be is the repair covered by warranty, but can you find a service writer willing to cover the repair with warranty.
I agree with what you wrote here however the last line in your reply is tricky. Certain claims depending on the franchise and the cost of repair have to be approved by the mfg, because they are the ones paying the dealer for the repair. We are not talking about a $200 repair here.

I agree with what you wrote here however the last line in your reply is tricky. Certain claims depending on the franchise and the cost of repair have to be approved by the mfg, because they are the ones paying the dealer for the repair. We are not talking about a $200 repair here.
In my case, it was the def fluid heater. Very common failure item on the f350. The wire the feeds the heater with amps breaks.

I debated doing the job myself before bringing the truck to the Ford dealership. Decided to let them do the job, since it was a warranty repair.

Service writer called and said they found mud under the truck, which meant I went off roading, and that caused the damage to the heater. I said the truck did nothing that it wasn't marketed by Ford to do, stop what you are doing, and I am on my way to come get the truck. I also let them know I was calling the state attorney general for warranty fraud.

When I arrived at the dealership to pick up the truck, they treated me like a king. They stated they waived the diagnostic fee, and that I owed not a penny. I think they didn't want to deal with my threat of the state attorney general, and that I may know what I am talking about and what I am saying I will do.

Last edited:
A course of action by the OP might be to go to the Honda dealer service writer, say this is a warranty repair, but I know you don't get paid on warranty repairs, and that you know he has expenses, and want him to get paid for the job, and give the service writer $300 in cash. Maybe, just maybe the service writer will honor the warranty..... He has no incentive to honor the warranty without the cash, and actually has an incentive not to honor it in hopes you will have the dealership do the repair and he makes commission on the non warranty repair.

In my case, it was the def fluid heater. Very common failure item on the f350. The wire the feeds the heater with amps breaks.

I debated doing the job myself before bringing the truck to the Ford dealership. Decided to let them do the job, since it was a warranty repair.

Service writer called and said they found mud under the truck, which meant I went off roading, and that caused the damage to the heater. I said the truck did nothing that it wasn't marked by Ford to do, stop what you are doing, and I am on my way to come get the truck. I also let them know I was calling the state attorney general for warranty fraud.

When I arrived at ye dealership to pick up the truck, they treated me like a king. They stated they waived the diagnostic fee, and that I owed not a penny. I think they didn't want to deal with my threat of the state attorney general, and that u may know what I am talking about and what I am saying I will do.
You did the right thing, and won. As I mentioned earlier to the OP no matter what anyone says here try! My 08 Liberty has a TSB which covers the gas tank for the life of the vehicle for a fuel spill problem. There's a valve or something in the tank that goes bad and it can take half an hour to fill the tank with the pump kicking off and sometimes spilling fuel. Mine was bad enough to be annoying, but caught early both times. The repair is to replace the gas tank, with the TSB they dodged a recall. They had to replace my tank twice, both times even with the TSB in hand they 'tried' to deny coverage, with a nonsensical BS story. Both times they replaced the tank free because I knew how to deal with them. I can't speak for now but a common practice in the business was to charge a customer for a repair like yours or mine, then submit a warranty claim and get paid twice. It wouldn't surprise me if they still do that, but I can't confirm no deny that.

A course of action by the OP might be to go to the Honda dealer service writer, say this is a warranty repair, but I know you don't get paid on warranty repairs, and that you know he has expenses, and want him to get paid for the job, and give the service writer $300 in cash. Maybe, just maybe the service writer will honor the warranty..... He has no incentive to honor the warranty without the cash, and actually has an incentive not to honor it in hopes you will have the dealership do the repair and he makes commission on the non warranty repair.
On a $10K transmission Honda is going to send someone out to inspect a car especially since it is a few years old and has over 40K miles on it, even with a 60K warranty. It is more than likely beyond anything the service writer can do, even if he wanted to. It does however help to play nice with the service writer.

I would search for TSBs on the car to see if there is one for the OPs problem and bring it with me to the dealer. That's how I found out about the fuel spill issue with our Liberty, it saved me about $1,500 each time they replaced the gas tank if my memory is working this morning. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Edit to add: I would make sure it costs me nothing to find out if they're going to cover the repair or not. An honest service writer will let you know upfront if the wheel/tire combo and lowering the vehicle is going to be a problem or not.
Seems like that would be an easy opportunity for the service writer to bluff and say, "yes, those modifications are going to be a problem for warranty coverage" and the owner bails out at that point.

Is that correct for warranty work (and recalls) ? I can certainly see how it would be and can see why (some) service writers can be unhelpful when it comes to that type of work. I ran into this with ~2 dealers and recall work when we had our Fusion.

Seems like that would be an easy opportunity for the service writer to bluff and say, "yes, those modifications are going to be a problem for warranty coverage" and the owner bails out at that point.
Good point, and it might. Maybe it's me, but I'm good at reading people and I know a BS story when I hear one. But lets face it, if the car were 100% stock, unaltered, and the dealer did the clutch work, the OP would have a better shot, again jmo. I would still try, and I would be hunting for a TSB. If as it was stated in this thread there is a known problem there might be a campaign on it. Many times campaigns like the one for my 08 Liberty aren't always easy to find.

Edit to add: If the OP feels he is being lied to he can escalate the case to upper level management and take the dealer out of the loop.

Last edited:
That isn't true. They get a lower percentage on warranty sales, but they definitely get paid. Many dealers are running over 50% warranty these days; if writers did not get paid on warranty, they would be starving.

Regardless, I doubt this one is going to be covered since another dealer already declined it for the last owner.

Back