Any reason Honda would deny warranty coverage on this 2019 Civic R transmission?

You did the right thing, and won. As I mentioned earlier to the OP no matter what anyone says here try! My 08 Liberty has a TSB which covers the gas tank for the life of the vehicle for a fuel spill problem. There's a valve or something in the tank that goes bad and it can take half an hour to fill the tank with the pump kicking off and sometimes spilling fuel. Mine was bad enough to be annoying, but caught early both times. The repair is to replace the gas tank, with the TSB they dodged a recall. They had to replace my tank twice, both times even with the TSB in hand they 'tried' to deny coverage, with a nonsensical BS story. Both times they replaced the tank free because I knew how to deal with them. I can't speak for now but a common practice in the business was to charge a customer for a repair like yours or mine, then submit a warranty claim and get paid twice. It wouldn't surprise me if they still do that, but I can't confirm no deny that.
The truth of the matter is this truck was bought used -and GON had no idea where the truck had been or how it was used prior to him buying it. There was a whole thread about it.

Service writers do get paid for warranty repair-just not as much.
Lot's of misinformation on this thread for sure.
They do, just not as much, and the techs don't do as well with warranty work either.
The truth of the matter is this truck was bought used-and GON had no idea where the truck had or how it was used prior to him buying it. There was a whole thread about it. New motor, transmission inspection plate, it was a joke for a while.
I don't recall that thread, but might if I see it.

So you're saying bring donuts and a $100 bill?

It's like this.
I bought a used 2020 F150 with some factory warranty left from a small "Mom and Pop" used car lot. After I owned it for a while-the sync 3 on the display was acting funny, couldn't keep a phone paired etc. A little research pointed to a common issue, a bad APIM. (Black box behind the radio). I made an appointment at the local Ford Dealer, they confirmed the issue and ordered a new APIM. I had to go back again-OK. It was a $600.00 repair covered under warranty. A little time later the rubber coating on one side of the drivers seatbelt cracked. Again made an appointment-they took the part number down and ordered it ($50.00/part). I had to go back, they removed the drivers seat to repair. Covered under warranty.

Again-I don't see what is so difficult. Yea-the multiple trips were inconvenient. But dealers can't stock all parts.

Only way to find out IMO is to go there and try. A box of doughnuts is probably not a bad idea. Being super nice is also a plus.
Usually, in these situations is when I send my wife in, because I can only really deal with people that make logical arguments, once they start going off with some BS stories, I lose patience and start being aggressive and that’s a no go when you want another entity to do something for you.

This! When I take our cars in for service at my very professional and friendly dealership, I use only one service advisor and our vehicles are always serviced by just one Honda Certified Master Technician who has become a trusted friend. Yes, a service visit is always accompanied by a dozen donuts for the Technician and his team and a half-dozen for the advisors. Been doing this for years and always have had excellent service and fair prices. I usually, when weather permits, try to bring them a clean vehicle to work on. I change my own air filters and supply the oil of my choice, they supply the filter and do the work. Finding a competent, honest and professional dealership and building a good relationship is always to your benefit. I guess I'm hopelessly old-school but I know I get better service than being known only online.

This! When I take our cars in for service at my very professional and friendly dealership, I use only one service advisor and our vehicles are always serviced by just one Honda Certified Master Technician who has become a trusted friend. Yes, a service visit is always accompanied by a dozen donuts for the Technician and his team and a half-dozen for the advisors. Been doing this for years and always have had excellent service and fair prices. I usually, when weather permits, try to bring them a clean vehicle to work on. I change my own air filters and supply the oil of my choice, they supply the filter and do the work. Finding a competent, honest and professional dealership and building a good relationship is always to your benefit. I guess I'm hopelessly old-school but I know I get better service than being known only online.
Well....the first thing one needs to overcome is the attitude on this forum. That is-all dealers are a life form barely above pond scum and will rip you off at every opportunity. Does it happen? Sure. But relationships and being polite is everything.

AS I have mentioned many times-I was in industrial sales for 25plus years. I retired at 55 because of the way I treated people and the financial rewards that came with it.

Doesn't look like it will be covered. Service advisor sent this,

Recommended service
$3,727.89
[Other]: recc replace 1-2 synchro inside transmission (including new blocker rings also note may need additional parts upon inspecting MT internals) due to no engagement of 2nd gear and the shift forks having no outside blockages keeping them from moving the forks internally.

He said Honda voided the warranty previously, the reason for which he doesn't know yet. He will get back with Honda to find out tomorrow. I called Honda after buying the car and asked what warranty comes with it, and they didn't say it was voided, just that it's 5 year/60K powertrain to April 4, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered bringing it in. That was a waste of $175.

Two things:

(1) Early wear out of a clutch can be due to not knowing how to drive a standard. My nephew went through 2 clutches within a few months in the Chevy II I gave him. It had never had the clutch replaced before he started driving it.

(2) My 2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT (bought new) has had transmission troubles. The first transmission was replaced within a few days of purchase because it easily popped out of both first and second gears. The second transmission has always popped out of gear if you go down a steep hill in first gear. The dealer said (even though they observed it popping out of gear) that they couldn't find anything wrong with the transmission! I no longer go down steep hills in first gear and it's been fine otherwise. I think Honda has a problem with their 6MTs but that's just me.

Doesn't look like it will be covered. Service advisor sent this,

Recommended service
$3,727.89
[Other]: recc replace 1-2 synchro inside transmission (including new blocker rings also note may need additional parts upon inspecting MT internals) due to no engagement of 2nd gear and the shift forks having no outside blockages keeping them from moving the forks internally.

He said Honda voided the warranty previously, the reason for which he doesn't know yet. He will get back with Honda to find out tomorrow. I called Honda after buying the car and asked what warranty comes with it, and they didn't say it was voided, just that it's 5 year/60K powertrain to April 4, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered bringing it in. That was a waste of $175.

Since you paid $175, consider emailing Honda customer relations as a last resort. Maybe add a link to this thread so they can see
-how their customer service previously gave you false information about the powertrain warranty
-how the general public feels after reading how Honda dealers enact corporate policies

https://crmshonda.my.salesforce-sites.com/service/hondaw2c

I called Honda after buying the car and asked what warranty comes with it, and they didn't say it was voided, just that it's 5 year/60K powertrain to April 4
Did you ask them "what's the warranty on a 2019 Civic Type R?" or "what's the warranty status on my vehicle with VIN?" ?

Recommended service
Can they determine this without opening it up or is this the common issue with them ? I guess they didn't open it up since they mention they might find more once they tear into it.

You gonna swap in a salvage yard transmission or cut your losses and dump it ?

Back