2006 Grand Marquis GS setting up for 5 years

My mom has a grad marquis that has been setting up for 5 years. The last oil change was 5 years ago with almost no miles put on it since then. It was Castrol GTX blend. The battery has been in a trickle charger since then and I crank the engine over the two or so times a year when I visit.

She's now ready to get rid if it since she cant drive any more.

A few concerns.
1) old gasoline in the tank.
2) Tire with flat spots. They are michelins and properly aired up, and the car sits in a attached garage (no sun), but its been stationary for 5 years and the tires are likely 9-10 years old total.
3) has the oil turned to varnish? Rust on the top of the engine where the oil drained off from?
4) antifreeze gell?

What are some things you can do to get a car like that working again. I'm torn on just driving it to a car dealership that buys cars and taking the lowball offer. Or shining it up a bit (its in good cosmetic shape) and using it as a beater car for work commute. It rides like a dream but is a boat in the parking lot.

You'll want to drain the tank, at least as much as possible (but preferably drop it), you'll need tires. The coolant should be G-05/Premium Gold-it's likely fine (but could still stand to be changed). Oil change won't hurt, a non-synthetic media filter would be far past it's life span. If you want to sell it-put it in the "Items For Sale" section-somebody here will buy it, esp. since TX is "NO SALT" country!

If it runs just drive it and use up the old fuel. Change oil after several trips. Michelins are great tires but the age is concerning. Maybe ok for rural trips but stay off the interstate. Don’t trust the battery. Be mindful of the coolant system (thermostat, hoses, heater core, & water pump). Issues will present themselves if anything needs to be addressed. You may be pleasantly surprised that everything works as designed.

If it runs just drive it and use up the old fuel. Change oil after several trips. Michelins are great tires but the age is concerning. Maybe ok for rural trips but stay off the interstate. Don’t trust the battery. Be mindful of the coolant system (thermostat, hoses, heater core, & water pump). Issues will present themselves if anything needs to be addressed. You may be pleasantly surprised that everything works as designed.
5 year old gas? I would think there would be a lot of varnish present-or even siphoning out as much as possible, a little Startron, fill up with fresh gas, should have a chance.

5 year old gas? I would think there would be a lot of varnish present-or even siphoning out as much as possible, a little Startron, fill up with fresh gas, should have a chance.
Never hurts but I’m under the impression it runs. Drive to the closest gas station and put 10 gallons of 93 octane in the tank. Should boost enough to run the old/new fuel out.

I'd disconnect the fuel line at the rail and jump the fuel pump relay to pump the tank out. Put some new gas in. Cycle the key a bit. Then hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank in clear flood for a minute to pump up the timing chain tensioners. Then just see what happens.

Oil is the least of the worries on that list.

I wouldn't worry about the coolant either, unless its visibly discolored.

The gas needs to go - espcially if it had ethanol in it. I believe those had a inline filter as well? I would also try to get as much out with the fuel pump as possibly, dump some ethanol free back in, and a new filter, then fire it up.

Check, but don't replace, all fluids before you get it running. You may have misfires and other gremlins that poison whatever oil is in there.

An oil change now would be the ultimate dry start, don't do it!

My biggest concern would be brakes... make sure all the rotors scrape clean, and nothing drags. Drive it up a shallow hill, kick in in neutral, see how smoothly it transistions from rolling forwards to backwards. Warm it up first to get the wheel bearings loose.

Also check for mouse nests in the engine and cabin air filters.

I bet the gas will be "off" but ok. If you don't hammer the engine on this tank it'll survive.

when i start it at Christmas and 4th of july i spcycke through the gears and roll it forward and backwards. rotors have a little surface rust but nothing crazy. tires dont have cracks but will likely need changing. everything else looks pretty good

I have found this out when I had to change a fuel pump in my 03 G.M. Your 06 will be no different. You will not be able to get a hose past a theft device in the gas spout pipe to siphon the gas tank. . You will want to change the fuel filter anyway. If you disconnect the filter's outlet, you can connect a six dollar hand pump from Harbor Freight and pump out all the fuel from the tank. It won't take very long to empty it. Get it running with some fresh fuel, then worry about an oil change or anything else needed. You want to dilute the old gas as much as possible with new gas.

1) old gasoline in the tank.
2) Tire with flat spots. They are michelins and properly aired up, and the car sits in a attached garage (no sun), but its been stationary for 5 years and the tires are likely 9-10 years old total.
3) has the oil turned to varnish? Rust on the top of the engine where the oil drained off from?
4) antifreeze gell?
1 - Best thing to do is drain it, BUT, you can add high octane gas to top it off plus a 2X dose of a PEA cleaner. Should be OK.
2 - Tires are now junk. Drive to the nearest tire store and replace as soon as possible.
3 - No! The oil is likely fine. No worries here. Oil does not age like so many think. Yes, be prudent and do a oil and filter change soon.
4 - AF is not a "gel" but it is depleted. Flush and refill.

BTW I have experience storing cars. After you do all the above, especially the tires, take it out for several WOT runs and some interstate cruising. You will be fine.

Tires are shot, but will roll fine, at least at low speed to a tire store. The rest of the fluids, I’d leave alone, until you’ve driven it a bit. My guess, it’s time for rotors, air filter, and whatever isn’t working. Top off the gas and see how it runs, but first, a thorough investigation to make sure no one has made a new home anywhere.

I mean, you say you start it once or twice a year, move it a hair. that’s good enough for me. Gas doesn’t go bad like it used, as long as the evap system is working as designed. Not new and it will like new gas soon, but it’s good enough to cruise around in and help you make up your mind as to what to do next.

Some good suggestions so far, but I have to ask this ...

- tires that old are a risk; need to be replaced as soon as practical
- change oil and filter if you want; I don't think it's a requirement, but if it makes you feel better, go for it
- coolant change would be a good idea, but again doesn't need to be done immediately

Presuming one siphons out the old gas, then what? Whatta ya do with gallons of old fuel? Dump it into some other vehicle? That is just passing on a problem, not eliminating one. Do you dump it out in the backyard? Again - not a good idea, and just trading one problem for another. If the tank is near full, then perhaps drain several gallons out and then put in some new gas; try to dilute the issue. Then once that tank is down low, add some of the old stuff in back a gallon at a time with each fill up. This should be enough to dilute the gas if any issues are present.

Tires are shot, but will roll fine, at least at low speed to a tire store. The rest of the fluids, I’d leave alone, until you’ve driven it a bit. My guess, it’s time for rotors, air filter, and whatever isn’t working. Top off the gas and see how it runs, but first, a thorough investigation to make sure no one has made a new home anywhere.

I mean, you say you start it once or twice a year, move it a hair. that’s good enough for me. Gas doesn’t go bad like it used, as long as the evap system is working as designed. Not new and it will like new gas soon, but it’s good enough to cruise around in and help you make up your mind as to what to do next.
In TX, the rotors may not be too bad (although E. TX down by Houston/the Gulf they might be). Definitely flood clear by cranking for at least a minute, the '06 has the evil plastic tensioners like my '03. Make sure no mice have found their way into the air filter!

Id run it. I have plenty of stuff that has well over 5 yr old fuel in it.
I've run four year old gas in a car that sat like this and had no issues.

OP, just try starting it as-is. The won't be any internal engine rust. Oil clings to the surfaces inside the engine and people start cars that have sat in barns for forty years without issue. The coolant is fine too.

Just start it up, let it idle up to operating temp slowly and make sure the thermostat doesn't stick. I'd recommend once the old fuel is all burned off to add Berryman's B12 to the next tank of fuel to clean the injectors.

One Chevelle I had sat untouched with full tank of fuel for 9 years. Did not plan that, it happened. Guy who bought it picked it up with a trailer. He drained the fuel tank and replaced the tires , coolant, trans & brake fluid plus oil. He sent me a photo later the same week of him driving the car. Things work out and folks get lucky sometimes. The car was kept covered in a garage during storage.

Back